• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brabantse Pijl: October 7th, 2020

We're not entirely recovered from the Ardennes, but it's already time to move up a little to the north. Writing a preview poses a little bit of a problem, because there's no official profile. According to Touretappe.nl the exact course of the Flèche brabançonne is secret this year, because the organizers want to discourage cycling fans from showing up along the road during the Covid-19 pandemic. So we'll have to do it with the description on the official website.

The men's race will be 184 km long and contain 26 climbs. Like last year it starts in Leuven. In the middle of the race there's an extra local lap around Beersel with three climbs: Bruine Put, Menisberg and Lotsestraat. The final laps in Overijse contain one change compared to last year: the IJskelderlaan is replaced by the Moskesstraat. So the local laps will follow the succession Hagaard-Hertstraat-Holstheide-Moskesstraat-Schavei. The top of the Schavei is 200 m before the finish. Last year this race was a breakthrough win on the road for Mathieu van der Poel. He will again be a big favourite.

Recent winners:
2010 Sébastien Rosseler
2011 Philippe Gilbert
2012 Thomas Voeckler
2013 Peter Sagan
2014 Philippe Gilbert
2015 Ben Hermans
2016 Petr Vakoč
2017 Sonny Colbrelli
2018 Tim Wellens
2019 Mathieu van der Poel

The women's race will be 122 km long and contain 20 climbs. It starts in Lennik and finishes with the same local laps in Overijse. Last year Sofie de Vuyst became the first Belgian winner, but she will be absent this year.

Past winners:
2016 Marianne Vos
2017 Annette Edmondson
2018 Marta Bastianelli
2019 Sofie de Vuyst

Let's hope for another exciting day of cycling!

Last edited:
A few obvious favourites and lots of interesting outsiders:

Men:
****Van der Poel, Alaphilippe
***Kwiatkowski, Wellens, Colbrelli
**Trentin, Cosnefroy, Kämna, Stybar
*Bardet, Barguil, Teuns, Theuns, Gasparotto, Geschke, Vakoc, Vansevenant

Women:
***Bastianelli, Van Dijk, Rivera
**Kopecky, Vandenbulcke, Borghesi
* Lippert, Mackaij, Leth

Reactions: Sandisfan
A few obvious favourites and lots of interesting outsiders:

Men:
****Van der Poel, Alaphilippe
***Kwiatkowski, Wellens, Colbrelli
**Trentin, Cosnefroy, Kämna, Stybar
*Bardet, Barguil, Teuns, Theuns, Gasparotto, Geschke, Vakoc, Vansevenant

Women:
***Bastianelli, Van Dijk, Rivera
**Kopecky, Vandenbulcke, Borghesi
* Lippert, Mackaij, Leth

I don't know how the weather will be, but even if it's raining I don't really regard Wellens as a favourite for the win. This does not seem to be his season. I also think it's van der Poel vs. Alaphilippe, with Kwiatkowski, Cosnefroy, Kämna as outside bets. Wout Poels, if he's recovered? Would be fun if Bardet or Vansevenant took it. Stybar only if the DQS tactics make it work.

Reactions: Sandisfan
120997005_3339454249436888_3725413125656365998_o.png

Sunweb is featuring Van Wilder and Arensman as leaders according to cyclismactu. Both 20 years old.

PS: Only a matter of time before Bora come to snatch Arensman.

Last edited:
I don't know how the weather will be, but even if it's raining I don't really regard Wellens as a favourite for the win. This does not seem to be his season. I also think it's van der Poel vs. Alaphilippe, with Kwiatkowski, Cosnefroy, Kämna as outside bets. Wout Poels, if he's recovered? Would be fun if Bardet or Vansevenant took it. Stybar only if the DQS tactics make it work.

No rain, 4 bf windy from Ouest and max 14 degrees.

Vansevenant has like 0.1% chance of winning. I was pleasently surprised by his showing last week but it's a bit crazy people are considering him for the win, even Wielerflits is giving him a mention. If not Alaphilippe, then Bagioli and Stybar are the far more likely candidates for DQT.

Vansevenant has like 0.1% chance of winning. I was pleasently surprised by his showing last week but it's a bit crazy people are considering him for the win, even Wielerflits is giving him a mention. If not Alaphilippe, then Bagioli and Stybar are the far more likely candidates for DQT.

I'm not really considering him for the win, apart from the extraordinary thing that can always happen. Neither am I considering Bardet after his concussion. But it would be a fun surprise. :)

TRENDING THREADS