• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bradley a road man?

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
There is one thing puzzling me regarding this years tour and it happens to relate to Mr. Wiggins. During a televised interview he suggested that following his performances "everybody would be questioning whether he was on drugs!" Well nobody was asking him that question when he was busy being a world pursuit champion.

The format of the tour this year flattered Mr. Wiggins (never mind Mr. Armstrong) but becoming a road man he is not. His latest comments regarding his 'future options' which may result in him leaving the track behind are laughable. When the screws were really turned, and that only happened once or twice, he was found wanting. He even got dropped on the downhill run in on Stage 17 by little Mr. Nibali! How a world class pursuit rider can't keep up with a tiny little climber is beyond me.

Am I the only one who thinks this trackie has become slightly dillusional?

May 14, 2009
Visit site
GIOSONZIPP said:
There is one thing puzzling me regarding this years tour and it happens to relate to Mr. Wiggins. During a televised interview he suggested that following his performances "everybody would be questioning whether he was on drugs!" Well nobody was asking him that question when he was busy being a world pursuit champion.

The format of the tour this year flattered Mr. Wiggins (never mind Mr. Armstrong) but becoming a road man he is not. His latest comments regarding his 'future options' which may result in him leaving the track behind are laughable. When the screws were really turned, and that only happened once or twice, he was found wanting. He even got dropped on the downhill run in on Stage 17 by little Mr. Nibali! How a world class pursuit rider can't keep up with a tiny little climber is beyond me.

Probably. He finished 4th in the Tour de France in his first real try at a high GC placing. Enough said.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
GIOSONZIPP said:

He's had one serious attempt at a Grand Tour and managed to finish 4th. That's not bad is it?

And after achieving nearly everything on the track who can blame him for wanting to see what he can do on the road?

Good luck to him.

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Delusional, exactly, christ, there were three guys out of the 180 to start that he couldn't even beat overall. Wait until he rides a really important race and most of the best riders in the world show up.

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
GIOSONZIPP said:

Yes. Next!

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Well there you go. Now I have twice as many dillusionals. The numbers will go up and up. Makes me wonder how many times such a driven individual has to ride this event before making a 'serious' attempt. That was his chance and I don't think it will be easy to replicate. Mind you, it's a good cover for backing off the track as young Mr. Phinney is on his way to sort out that little matter!

Not trying to be controversial or anything!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
GIOSONZIPP said:
Well there you go. Now I have twice as many dillusionals. The numbers will go up and up. Makes me wonder how many times such a driven individual has to ride this event before making a 'serious' attempt. That was his chance and I don't think it will be easy to replicate. Mind you, it's a good cover for backing off the track as young Mr. Phinney is on his way to sort out that little matter!

Not trying to be controversial or anything!

I'm sure the triple Olympic gold medallist and multiple World Champion is quaking in his boots. ;)

Have you been drinking?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
bvfrompc said:
Delusional, exactly, christ, there were three guys out of the 180 to start that he couldn't even beat overall. Wait until he rides a really important race and most of the best riders in the world show up.

lol

bradley did brilliantly, i know the course was to his liking in terms of climbs (couldve done with another long tt) etc etc, but less than a year ago he was winning gold on the track, give him his due

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys but please don't get me wrong. I think it's an astonishing, if not remarkable result for Brad but I just have my doubts about whether or not he will be able to reproduce this again. Yes, he's undoubtedly been excellent on the track but would he be world champion if some of the other big guns had turned their focus to the boards?

This isn't a thread to ridicule Brad but to seriously pose the question as to whether he really can step up his game.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Let's hope Bradley doesn't achieve top GT form. With that, and Cav dominating the sprints, people will be whining about how those Brits that don't really care about the sport are doping their way to the top.

But seriously, impressive effort for someone who hasn't been a GT contender before.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Actually, he seems to be downplaying things.

“...to repeat this ride or get on the podium [at some point] will be something.

....“The Tour de France is the biggest bike race in the world. Just to be part of it is fantastic. To do something in it is beyond words.”

...“It’s no mean feat finishing behind the three guys on the podium. And I don’t mind admitting that they are much better bike riders than I am. I’m just pleased to be in their company,” he said.

“To be on the podium this year would have been a bit of a cheek. To finish fourth is quite nice. I’m there but not quite there and those guys deserve to be on the podium.”

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...ects-on-his-fantastic-fourth-in-the-tour.html

Parrot23 said:
Actually, he seems to be downplaying things.

“...to repeat this ride or get on the podium [at some point] will be something.

....“The Tour de France is the biggest bike race in the world. Just to be part of it is fantastic. To do something in it is beyond words.”

...“It’s no mean feat finishing behind the three guys on the podium. And I don’t mind admitting that they are much better bike riders than I am. I’m just pleased to be in their company,” he said.

“To be on the podium this year would have been a bit of a cheek. To finish fourth is quite nice. I’m there but not quite there and those guys deserve to be on the podium.”

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...ects-on-his-fantastic-fourth-in-the-tour.html

http://www.velonews.com/media/BradWigginsBloodProfile.pdf

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
GIOSONZIPP said:
would he be world champion if some of the other big guns had turned their focus to the boards?

This isn't a thread to ridicule Brad but to seriously pose the question as to whether he really can step up his game.

Errrr yeah to your first question, and yeah to your second he already has

Who's this Phinney bloke you mention anyway?...what's he won?;)

TRENDING THREADS