• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bradley Wiggins form 2013

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
So on the only serious competition this year, at giro del trentino, the guy has a problem with his bike, and loses 20? seconds over it, then trails in a minute and a half behind, losing a further minute.

Surely that is not the form of a winner. Whatever his training form, he is not race fit, and it can hardly bode well for the giro.

In addition - I am not convinced either that Sky "grind em down", pull back explosive breaks gradually can work as well at a more lumpy Giro as it does on stages with few massive climbs, and not without a froome type domestique to pull him up the climbs.

His whole demeanour to me radiates "just going through the motions - don't need bike racing any more - would rather be anywhere else than here"

What do others think? What prognosis the Giro? Will the time trials be enough, to take a lead and hold it? Or is his race form just not sharp enough?

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
mountainrman said:
So on the only serious competition this year, at giro del trentino, the guy has a problem with his bike, and loses 20? seconds over it, then trails in a minute and a half behind, losing a further minute.

Surely that is not the form of a winner. Whatever his training form, he is not race fit, and it can hardly bode well for the giro.

In addition - I am not convinced either that Sky "grind em down", pull back explosive breaks gradually can work as well at a more lumpy Giro as it does on stages with few massive climbs, and not without a froome type domestique to pull him up the climbs.

His whole demeanour to me radiates "just going through the motions - don't need bike racing any more - would rather be anywhere else than here"

What do others think? What prognosis the Giro? Will the time trials be enough, to take a lead and hold it? Or is his race form just not sharp enough?
Don't worry, Wiggins will be just fine in the Giro. The ITT and TTT will help him gain a couple of minutes, while the downhills aren't the most difficult in the world to suit an attack of Nibali. Wiggins has another strategy than last year, no wins on the way, but he's constantly improving. As long he hasn't injuries and mechanical problems, he is the bif favorite for the pink jersey. Also, Sky will be very strong there, with Siutsou, Kiryienka, Uran, Lopez, and maybe Porte.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
How is Wiggins riding any differently than Nibali pre-Tour 2012? He can still be fine, although he can't use any setbacks from now on. Same for Scarponi, Basso and Sanchez.

The other uncertainty is whether Nibali's peaking right; he seems to be the only Giro contender who showed close-to-top shape in a stage race.

mountainrman said:

It's certainly possible that he's not as motivated: It's hard to be motivated when you've achieved the biggest win in your career quite late on. We'll have t see about that.

But I don't think he's giving off a "going through the motions vibe". He's attacked more this year than ever before, and to me it looked like he was having fun doing it.

mountainrman said:

He also responded effortlessly to all Nibalis attacks on the MTF that he didnt have a mechanical. His from looks fine.

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Swarley said:
Don't worry, Wiggins will be just fine in the Giro. The ITT and TTT will help him gain a couple of minutes, while the downhills aren't the most difficult in the world to suit an attack of Nibali. Wiggins has another strategy than last year, no wins on the way, but he's constantly improving. As long he hasn't injuries and mechanical problems, he is the bif favorite for the pink jersey. Also, Sky will be very strong there, with Siutsou, Kiryienka, Uran, Lopez, and maybe Porte.

Is Uran on the squad?
He has been leading Froome so much up the hills, he must be knackered already. Although he looked quite fresh at LBL

Now you say that, just checked the roster for Tour of Romandie and Uran is not listed, so maybe they are resting him up for the Giro. Porte is in Romandie with Froome.

Pentacycle said:
The other uncertainty is whether Nibali's peaking right; he seems to be the only Giro contender who showed close-to-top shape in a stage race.

Nah, he's not the only one. Wiggins, too.

Anyway, I don't think it matters that much if a Giro contender shows form in Liege or Trentino. Scarponi targeted Trentino in 2011 (and won), but has since targeted Liege instead. Can't really say he faded during that 2011 Giro...

Nibali, Wiggins, Hesjedal and Scarponi all have very good form right now.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
mountainrman said:

There is already a wiggins thread, you can simply discuss over there.

mountainrman said:

Inspite of the mechanical he closed upto the front group. I didnot see him in any difficulty. He had not blown. He was not gasping for breath. He was not struggling to pedal. Definitely the form is there. Motivation is a different issue. He doesn't have the same hunger as 2012(this is Froome's year:D). He probably gave it up as lost and soft pedaled or kept his powder dry for the Giro. As regards getting dropped, he will get dropped by Rodriguez, Contador and Froome, but he can afford to as he will gain time in the TTs. Nibali is not in their class but will accelerate away from Wiggins in the mountains but Wiggins will close up.

IndianCyclist said:
Inspite of the mechanical he closed upto the front group. I didnot see him in any difficulty. He had not blown. He was not gasping for breath. He was not struggling to pedal. Definitely the form is there.

^^^This. The way that Wiggins bridged back up through the main bunch was quite ominous. He made it look very easy.

Wiggins may lose some time on the steepest climbs at the Giro but on the slower climbs and TT's he should take it all back with interest. The only rider I could see stick it to him is Sanchez if he can recapture his 07/08 form as well as smashing the downhills.

42x16ss said:
^^^This. The way that Wiggins bridged back up through the main bunch was quite ominous. He made it look very easy.

He probably wasn't thinking straight too. He had a teammate (was that Siutsou?) that could have paced him up but he just chose to blow pass him.

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah an interesting season so far for Wiggo. I wonder if he's trying to hide his form? He has said he is in better form than last year and climbing better than ever before. The way he responded to Nibalis attacks and the way he came back to main group after the mechanical were impressive.
Maybe he's trying to reduce the pressure on himself?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The bike problem he had cost him a lot more than 20 seconds. Remember he only got off his bike after twice nearly coming to a standstill and then having to chase back on. I reckon he lost near a minute all told and he clearly went too far into the red too early when trying to chase back on.

His form looks fine to me... not so sure about his team. Presuming the Sky team will be the Trentino squad (where he was left isolated) plus Henao and Uran then the Colombians form will be key.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
It looked like Wiggins' bike chuck/change took ~30s from the video and he came in at 1:39, on Trentino stage 4. Anyone want to check this? I don't think we're seeing 2012 Wiggins.

Oops, didn't read the OP. I pretty much concur.

To the poster below - it's hard to say how much energy he wasted struggling with the mechanical issue (maybe s/one has an idea) but he was in the Nibali group when he climbed off. So those saying he got back up to the front group are wrong: he was losing time to say the top 5 on the stage.

Yup, I timed it at 30s too from when he stopped pedaling to the push off.
He lost time too having to accelerate, go into the red early, and he had to cut through the wind on his own with no one pacing him.

So it's definitely inconclusive if he would have been able to stay with Nibali without the mechanical.

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, racing is not just about physical shape, it is about belief.
Not just your own, but others around you.

If you dominate stage races as BW did prior to the tour in 2012, then they will find it hard to believe they can win in a duel. So when they go head to head, the one who believes if equally matched will win - he will dig deeper for that extra 0.1%

So two things come into play. Nibali will believe from the one minute he took out of wiggins that he can win. Wiggins will be wondering, since he lost time. And that pyschological advantage may be enough for Nibali to win if both are equal and redlining.

There is the "go into the red early" that may have contributed.
However, aerobically by standing still he will have recovered a little which matters too.
There is also adrenalin from anger. And that can have a massive effect.

When nicole cooke ( my pin up) crashed on a bend at rivington in the last couple of K in the commonwealth games that brought her to fame - just anger and adrenalin meant she got up , dusted herself down, charged back to the group without help on her own, and went straight passed them to win. I wonder whether without the crash, she would have had the anger to do it!

With Wiggins it had the opposite effect. It seem to herald a "not important" "going through the motions" cant be bothered (or could not) catch, so trailed in a minute behind. So was that his best effort? Or did he not try as hard as he might? Either scenario is a problem.

So to win a big tour from no prior results is a gamble. You have to expect a problem on a big tour, and knowing you can catch back up (and your opponents knowing it) after a problem is a massive psychological advantage. Wiggins will be wondering now whether he can, and that is not good. Nibali will believe he can win

Cavendash

BANNED
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
wwabbit said:
Yup, I timed it at 30s too from when he stopped pedaling to the push off.
He lost time too having to accelerate, go into the red early, and he had to cut through the wind on his own with no one pacing him.

So it's definitely inconclusive if he would have been able to stay with Nibali without the mechanical.

Really? Nibali has never ridden away from Wiggins under normal circumstances on a mountain, thats pretty conclusive as to what would of happened if Wiggins didn't have the mechanical isn't it?.

TRENDING THREADS