• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brailsford/Kimmage Interview

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/cycling/article6926944.ece

Me: “Question: Is there a difference between doing the right thing and being seen to do the right thing?”

Him: “Good point — the only way is to do the right thing regardless of being seen or not.”

Me: “Just thinking out loud . . .”

Him: “I agree with your thoughts but it is hopefully the one thing I will do, ie have a value-and-belief system and actually live by it!”

Me: “Here’s my take on it: you did the right thing by standing by David in Biarritz. You are being seen to do the right thing by not signing him now.”

He does not reply.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:

Me: “Question: Is there a difference between doing the right thing and being seen to do the right thing?”

Him: “Good point — the only way is to do the right thing regardless of being seen or not.”

Him: “I agree with your thoughts but it is hopefully the one thing I will do, ie have a value-and-belief system and actually live by it!”

Me: “Here’s my take on it: you did the right thing by standing by David in Biarritz. You are being seen to do the right thing by not signing him now.”

He does not reply.

pity he does not bring up Rob Hayles, and Wiggins funny numbers this year. Smoke is the track riders are on the cutting edge and experimental gear, may well be apocryphal.

Isn't Millar part owner of Garmain? Even if Brailsford wanted Millar at team sky he couldn't have him. Who knows whether or not he tried to get Millar to sign for Sky.

Where are these funny numbers of Wiggins? I've heard something or this on the CN forum before but not seen any of the evidence.

A

Anonymous

Digger said:

He does not reply.

i think it should be made clear that that particular section of the article was a series of text messages, so the does not reply, is in respect of not replying by text, not failing to reply in an interview situation.. just in case there is any doubt..

A

Anonymous

uphillstruggle said:
Isn't Millar part owner of Garmain? Even if Brailsford wanted Millar at team sky he couldn't have him. Who knows whether or not he tried to get Millar to sign for Sky.

Where are these funny numbers of Wiggins? I've heard something or this on the CN forum before but not seen any of the evidence.

some graph thing of brads looks like one of lances, and on the basis that lance has been proven to have cheated his way through 2009 obviously brad must have done as well.. :D

speculation, rumour, conjecture.. same as ever i think..

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
i read the interview in the paper 20 mins ago.

LOAD of rubbish. Kimmage is 'branded' as sports reporter of the year.

rebranded as bitter and twisted would suit well. I am a committed antidoper but this was just terrible. cyclesport bashing!

Sure, a question or two with meat-but an article in the main english paper (who normally ignores cycling-the Times didnt write one word about their national tour-TOB)
KK just focused on a 6 year old shadow in DB's career and went to town. He couldnt even look at some contemporary issues ( histories of some of his staff perhaps!)

DB has done a great job on the track , he is not only a good coach/manager but has introduced an amazing amount of cash into sport.

KK wrote a good book at a hard time and should go away

A

Anonymous

the truth. said:

rebranded as bitter and twisted would suit well. I am a committed antidoper but this was just terrible. cyclesport bashing!

Sure, a question or two with meat-but an article in the main english paper (who normally ignores cycling-the Times didnt write one word about their national tour-TOB)
KK just focused on a 6 year old shadow in DB's career and went to town. He couldnt even look at some contemporary issues ( histories of some of his staff perhaps!)

DB has done a great job on the track , he is not only a good coach/manager but has introduced an amazing amount of cash into sport.

KK wrote a good book at a hard time and should go away

are you thinking about the same times.. they did cover the TOB, and some of the tour de france articles they had where brilliant.. not as good as the observer admittedly, but the times generally have pretty good cycling coverage..

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
the truth. said:

Funny, my impression was a fairly soft-gloved interview.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ludwig said:
Funny, my impression was a fairly soft-gloved interview.

that was weak handed, you are right. Could have raised Rob Hayles episode too, when they quickly covered that over. The Brits on the track, are no different to the continentals on the road. The puritanical fans on this forum gotta lose the psychosis.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
that was weak handed, you are right. Could have raised Rob Hayles episode too, when they quickly covered that over. The Brits on the track, are no different to the continentals on the road. The puritanical fans on this forum gotta lose the psychosis.

Was waiting for you to mention that one, Blackcat.

Watching the track team circle the wagons 'round Hayles was the time I lost faith with the UK track team and Brailsford. It's far more damning than Millar, because Hayles was a trackie more than a roadie.

A

Anonymous

Runitout said:
Was waiting for you to mention that one, Blackcat.

Watching the track team circle the wagons 'round Hayles was the time I lost faith with the UK track team and Brailsford. It's far more damning than Millar, because Hayles was a trackie more than a roadie.

but from what i recall he served 2 weeks and was cleared.. it wasnt a case of increased red blood cells, but decreased plasma triggering a high haematocrit reading...

he hit 50.3 in a pre race test.. and was cleared.. that hardly a failed dope test or proof of doping when the natural levels for men often go over 50.

i dont suffer psychosis, but you gotta provide a bit more evidence if you are going to discuss things.. the hayles argument is very very week..

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
but from what i recall he served 2 weeks and was cleared.. it wasnt a case of increased red blood cells, but decreased plasma triggering a high haematocrit reading...

he hit 50.3 in a pre race test.. and was cleared.. that hardly a failed dope test or proof of doping when the natural levels for men often go over 50.

i dont suffer psychosis, but you gotta provide a bit more evidence if you are going to discuss things.. the hayles argument is very very week..
very very week, the crit stabilised within 6 days.

The argument but was nothing weak. Hayles never had a history of high 'crits. The guy was loading for his home world champs and to get to Beijing. Better try again DimSpaceCadet. If this was any Spanish rider you would shout it from the rooftops. No one doubts Pantani breaching 50, what it really was, you lose all credibility buying into the jingoistic pattern of justification and gullibility.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

Or if one person is doing it, then they all are. So by that logic, Bassons and Patrice Halgand (who was said to be the other clean rider on Festina) who rode for Festina were obviously dopers too!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Or if one person is doing it, then they all are. So by that logic, Bassons and Patrice Halgand (who was said to be the other clean rider on Festina) who rode for Festina were obviously dopers too!

It wasn't that he was over 50; it was that the whole track programme stood behind him, and they came up with that bogus explanation. The red flag was the cover up, not that they had a rogue doper* in their midst. It doesn't mean they all dope, but it suggests a level of team collusion I found to be disappointing.

*my take

If you think that they could cover up a dope scandal then you obviously know nothing about who does the testing. If an internal test revealed him to be over 50% they would have withdrawn him and no one would be any the wiser. He was tested by a different body such as the UCI or UK Sport who do the controls. He was then withdrawn from all competition until further tests (not handled by BC) confirmed that it was a natural variation. There are perfectly natural ways for haematocrit to raise and fall, hense why it isn't an outright ban.

Maybe because Kimmage is a sad bitter failed bike rider who has a grudge against the sport and sees only the worst things rather than applaud the efforts being made to clean it up.

Remember he is an ex-doper just like Millar except he didn't lose his livelihood admitting it, he profited from it.

bobbins said:
Maybe because Kimmage is a sad bitter failed bike rider who has a grudge against the sport and sees only the worst things rather than applaud the efforts being made to clean it up.

Remember he is an ex-doper just like Millar except he didn't lose his livelihood admitting it, he profited from it.

So how do you reconcile the praising he has done of Bassons, Gilbert, Garmin, Vaughters, David Millar, Bradley Wiggins, VDV, Sean Yates, Carley Mottet, with your theory?

What part of Paul's writing is inaccurate?

Paul took amphetamines in a criterium, which he didn't even try to win. Millar won a World Championship on EPO....bit of a difference.
And if Kimmage had been willing to dope with testosterone, cortisone etc, he would've won an awful lot more money than he ever got from writing a book. In fact, writing that book cost him any chance whatsoever of having a career in cycling.

So my final question again is, what part of his writings do you find inaccurate or bitter? And if he is so bitter, why does he go out of his way to praise the clean riders?

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
So how do you reconcile the praising he has done of Bassons, Gilbert, Garmin, Vaughters, David Millar, Bradley Wiggins, VDV, Sean Yates, Carley Mottet, with your theory?

I'd be interested to see any praise of Yates; I didn't know Kimmage was a fan of his. For me, that's one (of a few) B.S. points on Team Sky -- that they'd hire a guy like Yates. No, he never tested positive, but he's worked for dope-heavy teams and profited as a result. I'm talking about as a DS, not as a rider -- and you cannot convince me that DSes don't know the doping score on their teams. (I'm looking at you, Hans-Michael.) So I'd be interested to see just what kinds of things Kimmage has said about Yates, if anyone's got any links.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Has Brailsford actually listened to Yates being interviewed - he sounds like his inner chimp running riot over a whole army of happy ants whilst inhaling industrial quantities of helium

filipo said:
I'd be interested to see any praise of Yates; I didn't know Kimmage was a fan of his. For me, that's one (of a few) B.S. points on Team Sky -- that they'd hire a guy like Yates. No, he never tested positive, but he's worked for dope-heavy teams and profited as a result. I'm talking about as a DS, not as a rider -- and you cannot convince me that DSes don't know the doping score on their teams. (I'm looking at you, Hans-Michael.) So I'd be interested to see just what kinds of things Kimmage has said about Yates, if anyone's got any links.

Well I was replying to an earlier post, and my point is that Kimmage had no problem in praising clean riders. In his book, Kimmage makes specific references to the times they shared a room with Fagor, and how asbolutely clean he was. He praised Yates.
Now, his work with Disco is the antithesis of this, but to say that Kimmage only focuses on the negative is not true or fair.

TRENDING THREADS