• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brain Suspension on a Scott?

The brain is a rear suspension system. It doesn't matter if it's a tiny amount of travel or not, it requires a frame with pivots and bearing to fit it. They are not hardtails no matter what Specialized want to call them.

If you work in a bike shop I don't even know why you would need to ask this question. You could look to the Specialized frame, look at your Scott and see if it would fit, or ask someone who would know who works with you if you can't work it out.

you may be talking about the front forks (Specialized have started adding it to those I believe) but then your question doesn't make any sense as it's not the brain technology that would determine if a fork fitted your frame and anyone who works in a bike shop should know this.

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
The brain is a rear suspension system. It doesn't matter if it's a tiny amount of travel or not, it requires a frame with pivots and bearing to fit it. They are not hardtails no matter what Specialized want to call them.

If you work in a bike shop I don't even know why you would need to ask this question. You could look to the Specialized frame, look at your Scott and see if it would fit, or ask someone who would know who works with you if you can't work it out.

you may be talking about the front forks (Specialized have started adding it to those I believe) but then your question doesn't make any sense as it's not the brain technology that would determine if a fork fitted your frame and anyone who works in a bike shop should know this.

The Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper 2015 is a HT with the Brain Suspension

Ok, it would have been much simpler to ask that!

You have to take into account travel and head tube size (and axle size but wheels are easier to change). You should not exceed the recommended travel for your frame. You can use less but this will affect the geometry and may cause the bike to handle strangely. If your Scott has a tapered headtube (easy to find out, just take the fork out) then most forks will be fine. If it's a 44mm headtube you'd need an external cup headset bottom for a tapered tube. If it's a straight 1 1/8th then you can only use a straight 1 1/8th steerer tube which limits your options.

The RS-1 has some stupid proprietary hub, so if you want that you'll have to buy a new wheel too. (can you tell I don't like the RS-1 fork yet..? ;) ).

The brain technology does not affect how the fork will fit, it affects how it works.

I'm still struggling to understand how someone who works in a bike shop couldn't get this answer in about 10 seconds from one of the mechanics there.

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
I'm still struggling to understand how someone who works in a bike shop couldn't get this answer in about 10 seconds from one of the mechanics there.

Because I started to think about this yesterday, and next day I'll go to work is Thursday. So I was hoping someone here could give me the answer.

And now I have the answer, thanks!

TRENDING THREADS