• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brandon McNulty is the Next Great American Hope Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have a lot more faith when it comes to him becoming a good gc rider. Unlike most American prospects he wasn't already punshed to his limits as an U23 rider by Axel Merckx, so he shouldn't peak in his early 20ies only to be burned out in his mid 20ies...

I have a lot more faith when it comes to him becoming a good gc rider. Unlike most American prospects he wasn't already punshed to his limits as an U23 rider by Axel Merckx, so he shouldn't peak in his early 20ies only to be burned out in his mid 20ies...
What about Sepp Kuss? He was far from being pushed in the early years and now he's taking some big steps in his development. His level has never been this high in February and could become a very dominant climber for Roglic and Dumoulin this summer. I can see him winning some big races in the future

What about Sepp Kuss? He was far from being pushed in the early years and now he's taking some big steps in his development. His level has never been this high in February and could become a very dominant climber for Roglic and Dumoulin this summer. I can see him winning some big races in the future
Yes, Kuss would be another guy who hasn't be "ruined" by Axel and his team. Rally seems to be a lot better at giving their talents more time to grow.

Form looking good, best finish of his in a major race so far. Still don't understand why he lost a minute the other day..oh well..let's see how he goes in the TT. Could be top ten after saturday.
He's a young rider, so prone to inconsistency and bad days.
Our perspective has been skewed because of Bernal, Evenepoel, Pogacar, etc but this is exactly what I would expect from a 22 year old rider in his first GT.

Reactions: Hihope and jmdirt
I don't really get why some are surprised by his (inconsistent) performances. He's 22! And riding his first GT!

I don't even think he was supposed to ride for GC since he stated at the beginning of the season that he would focus on TTs and learning from the more experienced guys in the team.
He doesn't know his limits so sometimes he will go too deep and sometimes not enough. That's a learning experience.

Overall he's riding a fantastic Giro.

His longest stage race was L'avenir as junior. Going to have some bad days especially after big effort in time trial and then major mountain stage. Has to learn his limits and not blow up like yesterday. But overall really promising, especially at 22. Might have more upside than Kuss given he can TT very well even if his not a great climber ... yet.

Of course he's got more upside than Kuss.
At McNulty's age Kuss biggest result was winning a stage in the Tour de Beauce. He didn't ride a convincing GT until he was 25.

And McNulty is a much more complete rider anyway: he's a great TTer, can climb, he's a great descender/bike handler (as proven in last year's Giro di Sicilia) and packs a decent sprint. Kuss is as monodimensional as they come.

TRENDING THREADS