• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brandon McNulty is the Next Great American Hope Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Of course he's got more upside than Kuss.
At McNulty's age Kuss biggest result was winning a stage in the Tour de Beauce. He didn't ride a convincing GT until he was 25.

And McNulty is a much more complete rider anyway: he's a great TTer, can climb, he's a great descender/bike handler (as proven in last year's Giro di Sicilia) and packs a decent sprint. Kuss is as monodimensional as they come.
Agree. McNulty seems to have all the tools.

By the same token Kuss ought to work on his TT. He's the rare American for whom it's not a strength. To be fair I'm not sure how many tts he's done with a race on the line, either so he might be pretty good.

The pattern seems to be he can stay with the best GC contenders in the hills and mountains before a time trial. Then he delivers a strong time trial and works his way into podium or near podium position. But then falls back to earth with climbing after the TT stage. I guess he just goes too deep with the TT?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
The pattern seems to be he can stay with the best GC contenders in the hills and mountains before a time trial. Then he delivers a strong time trial and works his way into podium or near podium position. But then falls back to earth with climbing after the TT stage. I guess he just goes too deep with the TT?

I think you are over complicating it, Mcnulty can't keep up on proper mountain stages regardless of when the TT is.

The pattern is that he simply isn't up to it yet. Maybe he can improve, maybe he can't. He's still young, if he is a late bloomer he could get on a GT podium one day, but for the moment, i'm not seeing it.

Well, he's still young and has shown some promise and occasionally very good results. Some riders peak early while some continue to improve into their late 20s and stay at their best for several years thereafter. I have no idea where McNulty fits (or will fit) on that slope of progression, but if he continues to improve (as he should, at his age) then he could be very good.

He is basically a lesser version of Levi Leipheimer.
That seems a bit harsh. Leipheimer wasn't even riding against pros at McNulty's current age.
Our perspective on young riders has been completely skewed by the results of Pogacar, Bernal and Evenepoel. Some riders hit their prime later after a steady development. I'm not sure it will be McNulty's case but it's a bit early to make a definitive assessment.

That seems a bit harsh. Leipheimer wasn't even riding against pros at McNulty's current age.
Our perspective on young riders has been completely skewed by the results of Pogacar, Bernal and Evenepoel. Some riders hit their prime later after a steady development. I'm not sure it will be McNulty's case but it's a bit early to make a definitive assessment.
Indeed. However, it's not just those three. He also gets outdone by other riders his age, like Almeida, Vanhoucke, and more are on the way.

I wouldn't write him off, but he's definitely facing an uphill battle.

I know plenty of you will say "but what about Remco, Bernal, Pogacar" etc, but this forum is definitely getting a bit obsesed with judging rider's careers based on how good they are before they're 25. Yes, there's been plenty of riders winning stuff really young lately. There's also plenty of riders who don't land a big one for years and years.

McNulty, first year in the WorldTour, has a good Giro where he shows flashes of top class mixed in with off-days - this is totally normal. The fact that Pogacar is redefining what's normal doesn't mean this guy won't win a GT at 29. Thankfully, everyone develops at different rates.

I am not suggesting his longer climb endurance will not improve and make him a contender. my take is that at this stage of his career he is a TT oriented rider who gets up there in GC but slips back when it gets really mountainous. As another poster rightly highlighted he is a far punchier rider than Leipheimer ever was.

He has some hilly classics potential based on his skillset.

TRENDING THREADS