• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Braze v Clamp

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I am looking to buy a new bike. Currently riding a trek 5200 which I really like and has a braze on front derailleur. Any opinions on front shifting for the two types and how much weight should this be given in the overall decision?

Bike will be used to race with a compact crankset.

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've used all three combinations:

a braze on FD
a clamp FD
a braze-on FD with the clamp

I noticed absolutely no difference in shifting. I would not give it any weight whatsoever.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have 4 bikes all different with the band the front mech will only work on 1 frame down tube size so I normaly use a band with braze on mech only because it is more flexable.
I have seen braze on frame fitting snap off and with alloy or carbon its the end of the frame usualy. but then with a band it can be over tightened ond crush the frame.