• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Breaking news: "Armstrong Brushes Aside Contador Taunt"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I added this to A Plea For Integrity first, but I don't think anyone bothers to look there any more, and this is more about LA and the way the press allows itself to be used by him than anything else. The bottom line is that Alberto apparently had the nerve to say in a magazine interview that Armstrong had made him popular. Yes, that's apparently considered a taunt on Planet Armstrong. Writer Roger Vaughn said that LA "brushed it off", but it seems to me he put a lot of time and effort into trying to spin something from nothing.

I'll remind you that the last time we heard from Lance, he was blaming Contador for losing his Astana teammates, accused him of staying near his family in his home town, having an entourage of yes men, spewing lies to the Spanish press, lying about the Time Trial wheels, etc. But on the sliding scale, that was all fine, but Alberto saying Lance made him popular was a massive affront. It's a two-page "brush aside," but here are some highlights. Link below.

Armstrong Brushes Aside Contador Taunt
WAtoday.com.Au "breaking news"

Lance Armstrong has brushed off a taunt from arch-rival Alberto Contador that the Spaniard's increased popularity was thanks to the seven-times Tour de France winner.
Before their racing year even starts, the war of words has started between the former teammates in the lead-up to the July Tour de France.
Speaking at a Thursday media conference, Armstrong said he had seen the quote from Contador.
"With the precious help of a few people, I resisted the pressure," Contador says of the Astana tensions in the latest edition of RIDE Cycling Review magazine.
"The public was also a great help, I felt most of the crowd was in my favour.
"After all, Armstrong has made me popular."
Armstrong has not always enjoyed great popularity in France, but felt he had a better reception there during last year's Tour.
"Popularity is a funny thing, popularity has to be viewed and judged on a lot of different levels - on a local level, a state level, a national level, an international level," Armstrong said.
"Certainly he (Contador) is very popular in Spain, but based on the way I ride around in the US, I don't think he's very popular in the US.
"It's not really important - the whole world watched the Tour last summer and watched how that unfolded, watched how I think we acted as true teammates and true gentlemen.
"Regardless of whatever the polemics were, we did what we had to do to get him the yellow jersey."

http://www.watoday.com.au/breaking-...side-contador-taunt-20100114-m8om.html?page=1

Armstrong after the Verbier stage: "I'm NOW going to do my best and be a solid teammate". Is this an admission that prior to this lastest example of superiority by Contador, that he was not a "solid teammate"? His leading a group of gc contenders in pursuit of Contador after his attack would seem to be evidence that he was less than the ideal teammate. (This quote was taken from an article in the July 23rd issue of cyclingweekly.)

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Armstrong after the Verbier stage: "I'm NOW going to do my best and be a solid teammate". Is this an admission that prior to this lastest example of superiority by Contador, that he was not a "solid teammate"? His leading a group of gc contenders in pursuit of Contador after his attack would seem to be evidence that he was less than the ideal teammate. (This quote was taken from an article in the July 23rd issue of cyclingweekly.)

well why on earth did contador have to break away he was in a comfortable position obviously didnt want lance to have any position on the podium

A

Anonymous

theswordsman said:
"It's not really important - the whole world watched the Tour last summer and watched how that unfolded, watched how I think we acted as true teammates and true gentlemen.
"Regardless of whatever the polemics were, we did what we had to do to get him the yellow jersey."

Oh re-he-hea-heeeaaaaa-aly?

Don't you love revisionist history? There was me thinking Contador did a good job of getting the yellow jersey on his own at Verbier.

Coming up next week, George Bush talks about his life as a middle-east peace-broker.

Hibbles said:
Oh re-he-hea-heeeaaaaa-aly?

Don't you love revisionist history? There was me thinking Contador did a good job of getting the yellow jersey on his own at Verbier.

Coming up next week, George Bush talks about his life as a middle-east peace-broker.

Armstrong has been practicing the Big Lie for so long that he can no longer tell that something is so outrageously untrue that people will roll their eyes when they hear it.

This is precisely what I mean when I say AC is a straight shooter. He openly acknowledges that part of his popularity, especially in the last year, is due to him beating Lance Armstrong and that the fans were in HIS corner last year. And the impact it has apparently had on Armstrong is absolutely priceless. He's scrambling to diminish AC's popularity; to insist, against all evidence to the contrary, that he was a good teammate at the Tour de France; and frankly the fact that he is even addressing this in such a manner underscores how much this so-called showdown is really only a figment in Lance's imagination.

I can honestly say, in the short time that I've followed professional cycling (since 2003), this is the first time that I've noticed that Lance is mentally intimidated by another rider. He's downright afraid. Sure he's masking it with a lot of false bravado, but it's as clear as the nose on his face. He reeks of fear. And I'm sure not only can Alberto sense it, but so can JB, his teammates and other members of the peloton.

All of this because Alberto acknowledged that his popularity stems, in part, from his success against Lance during the 2009 Tour de France and that the fans/crowds were in his corner at the Tour. Amazing.

Publicus said:
This is precisely what I mean when I say AC is a straight shooter. He openly acknowledges that part of his popularity, especially in the last year, is due to him beating Lance Armstrong and that the fans were in HIS corner last year. And the impact it has apparently had on Armstrong is absolutely priceless. He's scrambling to diminish AC's popularity; to insist, against all evidence to the contrary, that he was a good teammate at the Tour de France; and frankly the fact that he is even addressing this in such a manner underscores how much this so-called showdown is really only a figment in Lance's imagination.

I can honestly say, in the short time that I've followed professional cycling (since 2003), this is the first time that I've noticed that Lance is mentally intimidated by another rider. He's downright afraid. Sure he's masking it with a lot of false bravado, but it's as clear as the nose on his face. He reeks of fear. And I'm sure not only can Alberto sense it, but so can JB, his teammates and other members of the peloton.

All of this because Alberto acknowledged that in his popularity stems, in part, from his success against Lance during the 2009 Tour de France and that the fans/crowds were in his corner at the Tour. Amazing.

Good write up. Well written. Agree with all thats been said.

I've also noted that Armstrong reponds in seconds to a Contador comment whereby Alberto responds when he's ready.

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
Coming up next week, George Bush talks about his life as a middle-east peace-broker.[/QUOTE]

When ever Armstrong says anything, I immediately feel like I have a finger down my throat? The guy just can not help himself. Willard/Jack Johnson would be a better analogy.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:

All of this because Alberto acknowledged that his popularity stems, in part, from his success against Lance during the 2009 Tour de France and that the fans/crowds were in his corner at the Tour. Amazing.

No links, just going from memory and perhaps someone can help me here...

In the 90's, LA routinely was thumped in stage races, particularly in TT's. I seem to remember him being completely psyched out anytime Indurain was in the same race. But I also remember in the Tour DuPont years that Ekimov used to freak him out too. Granted, this was well before cancer, his crazy wieght loss and pedaling cadence revelation (;)) and before Ferrari.

I agree tho, seems to me AC is waaaayyyy under Armstrong's skin.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Alberto no doubt terrifies Lance because it's like he's looking at himself circa 2001, won two, experience improving, dedicated team, unmatchable accelerations, winning time trials, mentally strong, recovers well, few bad days. Bruyneel himself said it in 2007.

The more this "conversation" continues and if all stays true to form, AC will be even more popular by the end of this July.

I honestly believe that if LA keeps trying so ineffectively to undermine AC, he'll be drained by the time the TDF departs.- He is clearly loosing his head in every intent to "change" the facts of what took place last year and hasn't assimilated well his defeat & avoids to acknowledge that his best days of warfare & intimations are just a memory.

hfer07 said:
I honestly believe that if LA keeps trying so ineffectively to undermine AC, he'll be drained by the time the TDF departs.- He is clearly loosing his head in every intent to "change" the facts of what took place last year and hasn't assimilated well his defeat & avoids to acknowledge that his best days of warfare & intimations are just a memory.

However it was easier to demonise Contador when they were on the same team. This time around he can only attempt sabotage from afar. I mean how will he steal the Astana car this time around?

thehog said:
However it was easier to demonise Contador when they were on the same team. This time around he can only attempt sabotage from afar. I mean how will he steal the Astana car this time around?

car+theives+vernon

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I like Alberto's style. He just says one sentence and it blows all of Armstrong *****ing out of the water. Classic.

Armstrong really can't cope with him can he? I'd say he's got him psyched out.

Absolutely. LA doesn't know what to do with him. He can't seem to get under his skin and it frosts his hide.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

Don't put it past him.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
When some one bases their "truth" on constant lying and cheating, Im not referring to drugs here, then when the tables are turned and the Emperor is revealed al fresco, with just Donald Duck Dollar bills to cover what is left of his modesty, then the comedians come on stage and refer to the top Tosser by name.

Tiger woods, slightly different scene but it happens very fast, one day it is wow, look who it is, next day we get, ha ha ha , look who's here. Can't wait

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
What an appallingly inaccurate article 'Contador the biggest threat to Armstrong' (Armstrong isn't even the biggest threat to Contador)?? The 'doping marred Tours 2006-8' (because of course the TdF 1999 - 2003 was squeaky clean right?)??? The NYT should be ashamed of themselves for parading this kind of guff as journalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS