British politics

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2016
3,092
5
0
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
UK in ruins, Pound in ruins, what a dark day. :( :( :(

Oh and Farage has already backtracked on his promise of more money going to the NHS when appearing on live TV this morning. :mad:
Farage has U-turned on the extra £350 mn a week for the NHS, Hannan has pointed out there will be no decrease in immigration and Liam Fox has said there's no need to invoke Article 50 anytime soon.

On the plus side, everyone outside the UK gets an immediate 10% discount on all cycling gear sold by UK retailers, courtesy of the pound crash.
 
Re:

lenric said:
Catastrophic. However, needed. EU has too many bureaucracy and too less of a free market. It's falling apart and this Brexit win isn't a vote against the EU, but rather a vote against the current route of it.
It's not catastrophic.
When they split Czechoslovakia nobody was hurt and the economics of both countries grew. In fact, I think the relationships between Czechs and Slovaks are better nowdays.
Brits know the concept of EU is wrong, ruled by corporations instead of people, and it's better to get divorced then to live in failed marriage.
Good luck, Britain.
 
As predicted, the Scottish vote was very pro remain. All 32 councils with a stay vote. In the end 62% to 32%. Looking forward to hearing from Wee Nic later today:) Indy 2 on its way...
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
Awful and shocking vote for a recession, reduced long run growth, unemployment and diminished international cooperation.

Immigration concerns will no doubt have been the driving force.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
Cameron about to address the Brexit. Farage has already indicated he can't see Cameron continuing as PM and BJ no doubts wants the job.
 
Mar 25, 2013
5,389
0
0
What a mad last 12 hours.

I can't remember a time like it politically.

Corbyn and probably Osbourne next to go. Could be change all round.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
i am genuinely surprised. cameron talking was pathetic.

hope the eu big wigs will now have to take a good look at themselves or it will be poland leading the eu soon :lol:
 
Jun 22, 2009
4,991
0
0
A huge shock for everyone. The rest of us can only hope that the EU will now take a long, hard look at itself, before France and Holland (likely the first two) also experience massive public pressure for referendums. What a can of worms......
 
gooner said:
What a mad last 12 hours.

I can't remember a time like it politically.

Corbyn and probably Osbourne next to go. Could be change all round.
Corbyn will stay IMO, his mandate among Labour voters was huge and is still huge. Osborne yes will go.

Upset that those who this referendum affects the least (pensioners and people over 70) decided for those who it affects the most, 16-24 year olds, some of whom didn't even have a vote.
 
Congratulations to the UK people for choosing to exit the slavering system called EU. As to now, this decision has inspired the Netherlands & France within the hours of the Brexit results to ask for referendums to leave the EU too- Denmark, Norway, Austria & Spain are next. The people around the World are waking up to defend their own national interests and inherited cultural values over the Globalist ideas imposed by the powers that be through the financial & geopolitical self interests vested to impose their will.

It was a great night for the World indeed
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
Brullnux said:
Upset that those who this referendum affects the least (pensioners and people over 70) decided for those who it affects the most, 16-24 year olds, some of whom didn't even have a vote.
i am awaiting the official data on the actual voter demographic...my hunch is that some polls (as the one in a post above) may have underestimated the votes of those mid-aged ?
 
Mar 25, 2013
5,389
0
0
python said:
Brullnux said:
Upset that those who this referendum affects the least (pensioners and people over 70) decided for those who it affects the most, 16-24 year olds, some of whom didn't even have a vote.
i am awaiting the official data on the actual voter demographic...my hunch is that some polls (as the one in a post above) may have underestimated the votes of those mid-aged ?
I think Brullnux is referencing a YouGov poll.

I wouldn't take anymore notice of them considering their recent record.
 
Brullnux said:
gooner said:
What a mad last 12 hours.

I can't remember a time like it politically.

Corbyn and probably Osbourne next to go. Could be change all round.
Corbyn will stay IMO, his mandate among Labour voters was huge and is still huge. Osborne yes will go.

Upset that those who this referendum affects the least (pensioners and people over 70) decided for those who it affects the most, 16-24 year olds, some of whom didn't even have a vote.
The problem for Corbyn may be less immediate but it is clear that his woolly wording in mild support of the "remain" camp failed to get the Labour vote out, so ultimately he is damaged by this. Nobody knew what he stood for and it's not the only time that has happened!

So far as the future is concerned, it is my belief that after initial obstacles and difficulties Britain has so many new opportunities that whatever has been lost will be replaced by new connections with the world.

The other members of the EU seem desolate about the outcome, partly because of the risk of further referenda in member states, but also because they realise what is being lost from the EU economy. They should have offered more tangible improvements to terms in the "renegotiations" that preceded this referendum if they seriously wanted Britain to stay. It's too late now for that.

On the whole I view this as exciting new times.
 
Question is, will anything actually change? I've heard a couple of Politics or Economics professors saying that very little, especially immigration, will change. They say that the UK economy is so dependent on it that lowering it by too much will have a negative effect.

At least UKIP is dead. Their only goal was leaving the EU, and that's been achieved. I think Carswell will take over and create a right-wing Tory party, and split the Tories. Or at least I hope.

Only Denmark, Austria and Netherlands are in danger of leaving IMO. Italy is pretty sure to stay right now, and so is Spain. France maybe.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY