• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

British politics

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...like-trump-theresa-may-sparks-mps-brexit-fury
Theresa May is facing a furious backlash from her own backbenchers and calls for her resignation after she blamed squabbling MPs for delaying Brexit.

In a defiant statement on Wednesday night she told the British public: “I am on your side,” and now hopes to force her deal through parliament next week at the third time of asking.

Less than an hour earlier, she had been warned in a private meeting with Tory MPs that her bid to delay leaving could end up losing her even more votes from her own party. “She is going into an ever narrower cul-de-sac,” said one former minister.

Speaking in Downing Street in a televised address, May said the three-month Brexit delay she had earlier in the day formally requested from EU27 leaders was “a matter of great personal regret for me” – and she would not countenance a longer extension of article 50.

With just nine days to go before Britain is due to leave the EU, she laid the blame for the crisis squarely at the door of parliament.

It's all those pesky MP's fault ... Geezus! Is there an adult in the House? Help! :D

Re:

Robert5091 said:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...s-delays-brexit-will-do-best-tear-party-limb/
If Theresa May buckles and delays Brexit, I will do my best to tear her party limb from limb - Nigel Farage

Oooo!

but trouble in his own party ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ne-blaiklock-resigns-over-anti-islam-messages
The leader of the new pro-Brexit party backed by Nigel Farage abruptly resigned on Wednesday after the Guardian asked her about a series of deleted anti-Islam Twitter messages sent before she took on the role.

Catherine Blaiklock, the leader of the Brexit party, repeatedly retweeted posts from far-right figures as well as sending her own messages. Among the messages she shared was one by Mark Collett, a former British National party (BNP) activist, referring to “white genocide”.

The term is often used in extreme rightwing and racist online activism of the sort seen as having inspired the man suspected of shooting dead 50 people last week at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Blaiklock was formerly Ukip’s economics spokeswoman. She left the party late last year, shortly after Farage, who is listed on the Brexit party website as “supporting” it, and has promised to stand if new European elections are held in May.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-47640908
One of the UK's major toilet tissue importers has been stockpiling to ensure it can maintain supplies in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

German-owned Wepa has stockpiled an extra 600 tonnes of finished product, or about 3.5m rolls, in UK warehouses.

UK boss Mike Docker said Wepa was now chartering ships to import materials, rather than use trucks.

Last week, Morrisons' chief executive said the supermarket had seen an increase in demand for toilet paper.

Keep calm and keep on pooping! :)

Re:

Robert5091 said:
One of the UK's major toilet tissue importers has been stockpiling to ensure it can maintain supplies in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

German-owned Wepa has stockpiled an extra 600 tonnes of finished product, or about 3.5m rolls, in UK warehouses.

UK boss Mike Docker said Wepa was now chartering ships to import materials, rather than use trucks.

Last week, Morrisons' chief executive said the supermarket had seen an increase in demand for toilet paper.

That sort of scaremongering needs to stop

I’m looking forward to a no deal brexit, it’s British law that we will leave on March the 29th with or without a deal, any MP try and stop that and they will lose the confidence of the voters, democracy in the uk will be a joke if we don’t leave at the end of the month

Re:

rick james said:
I’m looking forward to a no deal brexit, it’s British law that we will leave on March the 29th with or without a deal, any MP try and stop that and they will lose the confidence of the voters, democracy in the uk will be a joke if we don’t leave at the end of the month
A vote can be irreversible or it can be democratic. It can't be both.

Re: Re:

rick james said:
Robert5091 said:

Yes, we should all adopt the optimism and hope of the Leave faction and not get dragged down by reality.

macbindle said:
rick james said:
Robert5091 said:

Yes, we should all adopt the optimism and hope of the Leave faction and not get dragged down by reality.
They world won’t end with brexit no matter what you want to believe, we will all still wake up, the banks will all still make money, companies will still trade, in looking forward of being clear of the European Union nut jobs....it will be a great day for the UK

King Boonen said:
rick james said:
So you keep voting till you get the answer you want....excellent

rick james said:
King Boonen said:
rick james said:
So you keep voting till you get the answer you want....excellent

No, not really. You either vote again because something has changed, because you think the opinion of the population has changed or because it is scheduled (like a GE). If people voted leave the first time then they can vote leave again. This time they might even know what that actually means.

Re:

King Boonen said:
Seems like the opposite of democracy to me.
So the 17 million people that voted for brexit should just sit down shut up and be happy that thier vote didn’t really count, the nut jobs have taking over the asylum and will try everything trick the book to stop brexit.....we can’t have another vote on brexit

Re:

rick james said:
Everybody isn’t saying that, stop telling lies

No, you are right, everybody isn't saying that. JRM, that utter fukwit Mark Francois and a handful of other creeps are telling us it'll all be amazing.

Noticed how even Boris Johnson and Gove have gone silent? Why do you think that us, now that they've blown their chance for party leadership.

Why do you think JRM is getting his face on TV everywhere?

Meanwhile compare the list of business leaders and economists who are talking us Brexit will harm the economy with those who are saying it will be advantageous (clue, that mullet-wearing Wetherspoons chump and Dyson.. who is already moving out of Uk)

And that's just business. I, and my children, are now about to lose the right to live and work in EU countries. My children will lose the right to study in the EU. We are losing our involvement in the European GPS system, so we are now beholden to the Americans and Russians. The list is long.

Your remark that business won't stop is stupid. NOBODY is saying that business will stop, but many businesses are saying that Brexit will harm their ability to trade because they have favourable trading relationships with European businesses which they will lose but they don't have relationships with non-EU businesses. These relationships take years to build up.

You should stop listening to the fantasies of Brexiters and listen to what business leaders are saying. Also keep an ear open for the swoosh of foreign investment pulling out of UK (Nissan, Honda, BMW....)

Re:

rick james said:
We don’t vote again on brexit, the millions that voted for it(me included) should abstain if they try that back handed tactic

Yes, I think you should abstain too.

That's the problem with democracy...everybody's vote counts the same whether you are a university professor or somebody with an IQ of 80. There is a known correlation between Brexit voting and low educational attainment. An average IQ isn't enough to equip a person to ingest and understand complex issues and details and separate propaganda from fact. The Brexit vote was the collective groan of the nation's most stupid. That is why their arguments are based purely on emotion (like optimism & suspicion) rather than rational thought and evidence.

This is also why government is paralysed. It is because MPs aren't stupid. and the majority of them do not want Brexit.

rick james said:
King Boonen said:
Seems like the opposite of democracy to me.
So the 17 million people that voted for brexit should just sit down shut up and be happy that thier vote didn’t really count, the nut jobs have taking over the asylum and will try everything trick the book to stop brexit.....we can’t have another vote on brexit

No, they should vote on the question asked. Leave isn't a single entity, there are many versions of leave. One could be that we leave but agree to sign up to everything the EU says from then on. Effectively all we do is give up our seat at the table. I'm sure that wouldn't satisfy a huge number of leave voters. Things change and it's necessary to allow people to state their opinion. It's why we have regular (and irregular) General Elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.