• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

British triathlete tests positive for Clen at ITU Colzumel

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

noddy69 said:
unamused said:
Brownlee taking two years off to go long seems suspicious.
Jorgensen dominating almost every race she enters?
long course Ryf beat all other women at Kona by 20 minutes after training in some remote island in south pacific
On the men's side the guy that finished 3rd broke the marathon record, looked so fresh Frodo had to tell him to calm down at the finish line
Top 3 German:
4 of top 5 German
5 of top 7 German

Hint for any aspiring Iron man champ- get your dope where these guys do.
"It's obvious some of our players are doping (...). Why the hell are they going to Germany in the off season? I doubt it's for the sauerkraut."
https://twitter.com/Digger_forum/status/813525154106146821

Re: Re:

noddy69 said:
armchairclimber said:
Nicko. said:
We see the core of sport.
No one is paying to watch, no one is getting payed to participate or for winning (?).
Participants are in it for personal joy/excitement/experience/challenge.

I like what I see. Doping can still be a factor.

That is part of it. I would also argue that an athlete who enters a local fell race, in his club vest, for fun and nothing else, does not fit very well the profile of someone determined enough to win the big pro prizes that they would dope. There is a substantial risk of injury in a fell race. That event that Brownlee junior is competing in (Chevin Chase) has plenty of ankle snapping potential. He's clearly not hanging about either because the athlete behind him is an international class mountain runner.

The instance I previously referenced was J Brownlee running the Yorkshire X Country championships for his club, whilst carrying an injury, in Olympic year. He actually aggravated the injury during the event.

Both brothers regularly turn out for fun at these "doing it for the love of the sport" fell/x country races. It doesn't seem to me to be consistent with a "win at all costs", "professional" attitude to sport. Why take the trouble to have a doping programme if you're going to risk a broken ankle running "meaningless" fell races.

I can tell you why they do it. It's because they grew up running these fell races as juniors. They love them ... as do all the other participants. It's a big part of sporting culture in their part of the world. And it's fun.

Edit: In answer to Nicko, the prizes for most of the fell events they run in are things like chocolate, wine or maltloaf (honestly).
Loving the sport and wanting to race doesn't mean you don't dope to earn big money. I come from the school of thought that says the top amateurs are probably doping to some degree to win these races.
These country races are great fun and absolutely consistent with a win at all costs attitude to racing- because they are racing and that's why you enter.

Yeah, well good luck to you.

TRENDING THREADS