• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Henao was a 24.5 year old 'neo pro', its a pretty meaningless comparison.

Anyway, this isn't the who was the best neo pro thread, though that may be worth having.

Just watched the stage ending now - good to see he was just about the strongest left at the end (excluding Talansky who it's hard to judge) - towed Bardet the whole last km having made the gap himself.

Really like Adam Yates, but he wasn't doing anything like the work of Talansky or Van den Broeck, so can't really say he was stronger than them.

Bushman said:
Adam has really surprised me this year, not only because of his physical capabilities, he has also shown some smart racing and he seems to have a good tactical sense. Really looking forward to see his brother in action when he has recovered, he is a bit of the same type, just more powerful and less of a climber, right?

I actually thought that Simon was the better climber of the two but could be totally wrong on that. Maybe it was just the smaller climbs that he powered up that gave me that impression.
As you say it will be interesting to see once he is back on form

Tigerion said:
I actually thought that Simon was the better climber of the two but could be totally wrong on that. Maybe it was just the smaller climbs that he powered up that gave me that impression.
As you say it will be interesting to see once he is back on form

Adam is the one who placed 2nd at Tour de l'Avenir overall whereas Simon won two stages. Simon also won the stage in Tour of Britain.

Maaaaaaaarten said:
If you look purely at GC it's going to be difficult. Sergio Henao technically got a top 10 in the Giro as a neo pro.

But not everybody targets GC's or gets the chance to target GC's as a neo-pro.

Barguil didn't target GC's, but he did win two stages in the Vuelta, which imo is more impressive as a neo-pro, than getting 6th in the Dauphine.

Quintana could only ride for himself in smaller races, but his performance in Route du Sud, his stage win in the Dauphine, his win in Emillia and his work as a domestique in the Vuelta for Valverde was definitely way way way more impressive than anything Yates has shown.

Nevertheless, the Yates brothers are huge talents that probably deserve more attention than they are getting. But there are a few climbers that can be argued to have a more impressive neo-pro year.

Have to admit sheer idiocy/ignorance in my post as thought last year was Barguil's second as a pro. Also, didn't watch any racing in 2010 (living abroad), so missed anything about Quintana's first year

Basically, ignore what I said :eek:

Wouldn't mind seeing Simon at the first week or two of The Tour. That second stage could suit him?

05/07/14 - 27/07/14Tour de FranceFrance
02/08/14Clasica Ciclista San SebastianSpain***********
03/08/14 - 09/08/14Tour de PolognePoland***********
10/08/14Prudential RideLondon ClassicGreat Britain
11/08/14 - 17/08/14Eneco TourNetherlands/Belgium
23/08/14 - 14/09/14Vuelta a EspañaSpain
24/08/14Vattenfall CyclassicsGermany
26/08/14 - 29/08/14Tour du Poitou CharentesFrance
31/08/14GP Ouest France - PlouayFrance**********
02/09/14 - 07/09/14Tour of AlbertaCanada
12/09/14Grand Prix Cycliste de QuébecCanada*****
14/09/14Grand Prix Cycliste de MontréalCanada******
28/09/14Duo NormandFrance
02/10/14 - 05/10/14Tour de l'EurométropoleBelgium
05/10/14Il LombardiaItaly********
10/10/14 - 14/10/14Tour of BeijingChina********

I've highlighted those which might plausibly suit them, excluding the GTs, and not worrying about clashes.

OGE is planning on taking Chaves to the Vuelta.

http://www.greenedgecycling.com/new...t-worldtour-win-on-tour-de-suisse-queen-stage

One suspects with no real GC pressure but rather to gain GT experience; probably with certain stages targeted if his "condition" is OK and hopefully make it through to the finish.

IndianCyclist To do the TDF would be bad for him but the Vuelta is what he should do as the competition would be tired and he would be able to do a Top 20 at least while gaining valuable exp.

It is plausible that they may also take one of the Yates twins to the Vuelta to gain GT experience but would most likely pull the plug at some point. Your expectations of Top 20 is frankly laughable on any number of grounds; namely

- GTs are three weeks long; he has never even entered one let alone finish it !! Quite a stretch some week racing to three !

- You claim the field may be tired. Granted the Vuelta may rank below the Tour & Giro but there are still riders who will target it as their prime objective of the season and there are those who rode the Giro, missed the Tour but will race the Vuelta.

- neither of the Yates brothers are stellar TTers and there are two ITTs in this years Vuelta plus a TTT. Whilst OGE is one of the peak TTT teams, they are unlikely to send their peak TTT riders to this race and including the likes of Chaves & either Yates would only weaken it further. Add the time lost there to what they are likely to surrender in the ITTs and that's how many minutes ?

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yates brothers should do this Vuelta imo.

they need to gain experience riding a 3 week GT.
They are good enough to get top-20 in GC. just look at where Basso landed in giro. the two are much better than basso.

In a way it would be good to see them at the Vuelta, but I hope they don't do it. There are plenty of races for them to get experience between now and the end of the year, I hope to see them ride the Tour of Britain in September although im not sure if OGE will enter it.

Pricey_sky said:
In a way it would be good to see them at the Vuelta, but I hope they don't do it. There are plenty of races for them to get experience between now and the end of the year, I hope to see them ride the Tour of Britain in September although im not sure if OGE will enter it.

I posted their races earlier in the thread - there are very few of interest and Britain aint one. Entered teams are all confirmed at this sort of notice.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
I posted their races earlier in the thread - there are very few of interest and Britain aint one. Entered teams are all confirmed at this sort of notice.

Not all confirmed at this stage. There will be 18 teams of which 10 have been named; 9 WT teams plus GB national team. Seeing as there is a 70% ceiling for WT teams in a 2HC race, 3 more WT teams COULD be included but I suspect mostly local Conti or Pro Conti will fill the remaining slots. OGE did race the 2012 edition but not last year.

dirkprovin said:
Not all confirmed at this stage. There will be 18 teams of which 10 have been named; 9 WT teams plus GB national team. Seeing as there is a 70% ceiling for WT teams in a 2HC race, 3 more WT teams COULD be included but I suspect mostly local Conti or Pro Conti will fill the remaining slots. OGE did race the 2012 edition but not last year.

Guess if not with Orica they could race as part of GB National team.

Will either be at the commonwealths

del1962 said:
Guess if not with Orica they could race as part of GB National team.

Will either be at the commonwealths

Whilst it may be plausible that OGE MAY fill one of the remaining slots at ToB, it conflicts with the Canadian races (they are confirmed w Tour of Alberta and the 2 WT one-dayers) and butts up against the end of the Giro. I suspect at least one Yates will go to Canada.

Neither Yates has been named in the ENG road squad for Comm Games.

Would advise agst sending them to the Vuelta at this stage, and would only really countenance such a move if illness/injuries to other riders forced such a move ..... and even then I'd withdraw them at 10 days-2 weeks. Chaves is a couple of years older so a slightly different situation but even then would set him for stages rather than GC

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Both on the start list for the National champs tomorrow. Hopefully it's hilly enough for them.

Surely they don't have much chance of beating Sky due to their superior numbers. Any time they attack then Thomas or Stannard can just bring it back and leave it for Swift to win the sprint. Course certainly won't be hilly enough for Adam anyway although he can at least give Simon support.

TRENDING THREADS