• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

hrotha said:
What a pathetic rider. He didn't even TRY to get on the podium. His strategy was "Maybe someone will crash?".

He came 4th and won the White Jersey in his first serious go at a top GC placing, I think calling him pathetic is a bit harsh... He's achieved a lot more than the vast majority of the riders in this race.

Re: Re:

Hayabusa said:
hrotha said:
What a pathetic rider. He didn't even TRY to get on the podium. His strategy was "Maybe someone will crash?".

He came 4th and won the White Jersey in his first serious go at a top GC placing, I think calling him pathetic is a bit harsh... He's achieved a lot more than the vast majority of the riders in this race.

Yeah pathetic is very harsh. Of course it would have been great to see him try something but I think he was close to his limit these past 3 days. He faded badly in the TT, lost time yesterday and couldn't follow Quintana, Martin ect when they put in thier sprint for the line today.

Of course he could have tried on the descent, but had he crashed he could have thrown away a white jersey and also his shot on the Olympic team.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
The guys got his career ahead of him including the Olympics in acouple of weeks and you want him to throw that all away for a podium on the Tour? He will get plenty of those over his career it's not like he's missed a win. He's won the white and finished 4th in the first GC he has aimed for, not bad.

First of all, who says he would lose everything by trying? Hell, he could well have lost everything following wheels if Meintjes of all people crashed and took him down or whatever. Secondly, you can never assume there's plenty other opportunities waiting for you just around the corner. You never know. Adam Yates might well never find himself in a similar situation again.

Why do people presume that trying to go faster downhill than what Thomas was doing would have been a huge risk?

The group he was in lost roughly 80 seconds to Izagirre downhill and roughly 30 seconds to Rodriguez (you know, the guy who also has Rio as a target for the year).

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure in the Orica team car and Adam himslef decided that the risk exceeded the reward. Seriously who cares who finished third in the tour only the winner counts, he's won the white jersey and finished forth, great winners like Alberto don't care about podiums nor should Adam, it seems to me that the biggest failures in modern cycling are those that are overjoyed with a podium (andy, nairo, pinot and maybe bardet).

Re:

Ramon Koran said:
I'm sure in the Orica team car and Adam himslef decided that the risk exceeded the reward. Seriously who cares who finished third in the tour only the winner counts, he's won the white jersey and finished forth, great winners like Alberto don't care about podiums nor should Adam, it seems to me that the biggest failures in modern cycling are those that are overjoyed with a podium (andy, nairo, pinot and maybe bardet).
Yes, trying to improve your general classification is a curse of modern cycling.

That Bardet guy who tried to gap Van Garderen in the Champs-Elysées two years ago in order to take fifth place. Horrible.

The whole thing behind not being content with a podium is that you should aim as high as possible, not that you should sit contently on 4th when improving your position would actually be feasible.

And yes, of course Orica and Yates decided it wasn't worth it. Hence why I think they're pathetic.

Also, what roundabout said.

Re:

Ramon Koran said:
The guys got his career ahead of him including the Olympics in acouple of weeks and you want him to throw that all away for a podium on the Tour? He will get plenty of those over his career it's not like he's missed a win. He's won the white and finished 4th in the first GC he has aimed for, not bad.
Meh. It wouldn't have meant taking huge risks. He just did nothing.
And chances for a Tour podium do not necessarilly come back just like that. Plenty of examples of young promising riders that faded after an initial promising GT (like TJ, 5th in 2012).

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
I would rather he finishes fourth and grows off the dissapointement than become another of those young riders on the podium at 23-24 and become content and not grow off the dissapointement. He has a great chance at the olympics why risk it on a podium when he will still stand atop the champs elysee as best young rider? A podium place is so overatted please xplain to me why he sould be going for third yet neither quinatna went for second or porte went for fourth?
What's more he's by far the best gc rider of the post 90 generation and will win plenty of gt's a crash today could have ended his career with all that ahead of hi give him a break

I wonder why some waste bandwidth with their ridiculous posts. Smart analysts would realise there would be little GC action because of the wet conditions. And for some strange reason Yates is being criticised for not attacking. Something that could be applied to most of the top 10.

Adam has issued an apology to those who found this Tour a bit boring and are now venting their spleen. He realises he should have blown on the climb with a pointless attack, or tried a kamakaze descent which might have gained him 5 seconds. The next time he's completely knackered, he'll try to think of those suffering in their homes

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
Ramon Koran is happy Yates showed no ambition whatsoever so that he may show some ambition in the future.

And lol at the notion that Yates is being singled out.

I'm glad to know that those of us on an Internet forum have the cycling expertise and in-depth knowledge of Yates' body to draw such a clear distinction between "pathetically unambitious' and 'completely exhausted'.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
Ramon Koran is happy Yates showed no ambition whatsoever so that he may show some ambition in the future.

So in your opinion showing ambition is attacking in a wet dangerous descent to maybe get on the podium at the risk of losing his white jersy that will give him a podium anyway plus any chance at the olympics and maybe ending his career? It is time to stop invading this thread with such comments, we should applaud his performance in his first tour aiming for gc and coming fourth behind two of the best gc riders in the world and one of the most attacking riders in the world. He climbed with the best at 23 and has proven to the doubters about weather he could challenge in gt's, he's 24 next month and has won notabbly san sebastian and 4th in the tour plus white a great future ahead for him, hopefully he can get stronger to show to the doubters he is an offensive rider.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
What part of 'no huge risks were needed' was not clear?
He just followed, followed, followed. Purito, the descending giant, gained half a minute on the main group while riding with a thick safety margin. He tried, and won a few places.

Good for him. But no-one really gave a monkeys as he wasn't a threat to the top 5. If Adam had tried something, then Movi and Bardet would have been on his case, making it probably pointless. Assuming he could, as he's obviously been knackered all week.

And he hasn't just followed, hence being in the top three for most of the race

Ramon Koran said:
So in your opinion showing ambition is attacking in a wet dangerous descent to maybe get on the podium at the risk of losing his white jersy that will give him a podium anyway plus any chance at the olympics and maybe ending his career?
Again, what makes you think he'd be risking so much? Ending his career? Give me a break. That can happen at any time and no one is saying he should have turned kamikaze on the descent.
It is time to stop invading this thread with such comments, we should applaud his performance
Screw that, this is not your personal playground. Negative opinions are every bit as relevant as positive opinions.

I applaud his athletic performance. I cannot applaud anything else.

Getting on the podium is a pretty big deal, whether you want to admit it or not.

Re:

hrotha said:

And you still waste bandwidth with nonsensical posts. We are discussing real cycling not some fantasy game.

I have no idea why you follow cycling, seeing all your posts are negative.

Maybe take a break from cycling.

Ramon Koran said:
So in your opinion showing ambition is attacking in a wet dangerous descent to maybe get on the podium at the risk of losing his white jersy that will give him a podium anyway plus any chance at the olympics and maybe ending his career? It is time to stop invading this thread with such comments, we should applaud his performance in his first tour aiming for gc and coming fourth behind two of the best gc riders in the world and one of the most attacking riders in the world.
You're entitled to your opinion, but please don't lecture the rest into what we should and should not type here.
For Yates' sake, I hope he will not come to regret wasting the chance to get onto the Tour podium with only a little bit of risk involved. He may not get the same risk-reward odds later on.

Very disappointed that Yates couldn't attempt to match the pace of Rodriguez that was required to make an attack. That said, he did have a lot to lose due to how close Meintjes was, so if Yates was struggling (as appeared to be the case yesterday) then I can excuse him not attacking.