• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Unlike the riders around him Yates actually had a jersey to lose if he had come a cropper on the last descent. He could have easily lost that jersey with a crash. As it was he was standing on the top step of the podium in Paris with Sagan, Majka & Froome. TBH i couldn't give a fig about who comes 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

yaco said:
RedSpirit said:
Ramon Koran said:
I'm sure in the Orica team car and Adam himslef decided that the risk exceeded the reward. Seriously who cares who finished third in the tour only the winner counts, he's won the white jersey and finished forth, great winners like Alberto don't care about podiums nor should Adam, it seems to me that the biggest failures in modern cycling are those that are overjoyed with a podium (andy, nairo, pinot and maybe bardet).

Then overjoying the fourth place should be way worse. Who is gonna remember who ended 4th?. Once you have demonstrated that you could be with the great OC contenders in the climbs, it doesnt really matter in terms of prestige or wages if you end up 4th or you lose the place by risking to get a better prize (Zakarin). I would even say public actually remember the people who risks even if they failed.

Of course Yates has achieved a great result, but the temper he has shown sucks. He is just one more conformist rider in the bunch of "contenders". Just 20 secs, and he just said "surrender" not even trying once. I would call it "pathetic" of course, the attitude of course, not the effort.

An inauspicious first post. Hoping it's an inomaly.

What are you, the Legitimacy Cop here in the forum? Show me your credentials please. Hope you get at least your fanboy badge, you deserve it.

RedSpirit said:
yaco said:
RedSpirit said:
Ramon Koran said:
I'm sure in the Orica team car and Adam himslef decided that the risk exceeded the reward. Seriously who cares who finished third in the tour only the winner counts, he's won the white jersey and finished forth, great winners like Alberto don't care about podiums nor should Adam, it seems to me that the biggest failures in modern cycling are those that are overjoyed with a podium (andy, nairo, pinot and maybe bardet).

Then overjoying the fourth place should be way worse. Who is gonna remember who ended 4th?. Once you have demonstrated that you could be with the great OC contenders in the climbs, it doesnt really matter in terms of prestige or wages if you end up 4th or you lose the place by risking to get a better prize (Zakarin). I would even say public actually remember the people who risks even if they failed.

Of course Yates has achieved a great result, but the temper he has shown sucks. He is just one more conformist rider in the bunch of "contenders". Just 20 secs, and he just said "surrender" not even trying once. I would call it "pathetic" of course, the attitude of course, not the effort.

What are you, the Legitimacy Cop here in the forum? Show me your credentials please. Hope you get at least your fanboy badge, you deserve it.

I love posters who set their stall out from the start. Makes it easier to put them straight on the ignore list :D

Re:

Richeypen said:
Unlike the riders around him Yates actually had a jersey to lose if he had come a cropper on the last descent. He could have easily lost that jersey with a crash. As it was he was standing on the top step of the podium in Paris with Sagan, Majka & Froome. TBH i couldn't give a fig about who comes 2nd, 3rd or 4th.
You don't care about a GT podium, but you do care about a jersey for a competition between 28 riders, where the third finished at 42 minutes? OK.

RedSpirit said:
yaco said:
RedSpirit said:
Ramon Koran said:

i gave your first post the benefit of the doubt. You need to understand more about cycling. Did you watch the last stage. Kelderman fell on the descent, Pantano nearly fell on the descent. You are going to risk everything to show off on treacherous descent. Or even better watch the prior stage when a number of GC riders fell on the descent.

This thread is discussing the growth of a promising young rider. You are the one parrotting on about fan bios.

Re:

hrotha said:
Can you name any comparable situation where the rider who was 4th didn't try to get on the podium?
To be comparable it would have to be treacherously wet or otherwise dangerous and the rider would have to be wearing one of the jerseys that he would stand to lose if he were to crash. Now how would anyone without an encyclopedic knowledge find a comparison for that?

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site

yaco said:
RedSpirit said:
yaco said:
RedSpirit said:
Ramon Koran said:

i gave your first post the benefit of the doubt. You need to understand more about cycling. Did you watch the last stage. Kelderman fell on the descent, Pantano nearly fell on the descent. You are going to risk everything to show off on treacherous descent. Or even better watch the prior stage when a number of GC riders fell on the descent.

This thread is discussing the growth of a promising young rider. You are the one parrotting on about fan bios.

I did a first post expressing an opinion about a rider and a race, which is pretty much the forum scope if I'm correct, then you respond just to make a value judgment about me and the future quality of my posts, how should I answer you, yes sir it' won't happen again?

I'm not making any imprudent judgment about how much you know about cycling, so I would ask that you do the same. Usually among mature people disagreement is not solved by despising other people as you look to do every single time.

By the way "discussing the growth of a promising young rider" doesnt include critizising his temper or attitude in races? Are you the one who decide which kind of opinions are desirable in this topic?

Re:

Red Rick said:
As for Adam Yates on stage 20. He attacked on the Aspin descent for a few days in white, then he doesn't do it for a podium in Paris? Yo no comprehendo

In the first case he was fresh and feeling strong, in the second he was knackered and barely hanging on to the group.

Fairly straightforward.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I suspect he will have a very strong end to the season given that he is not raced much so he should be fresher than a lot of riders. I suspect that he will ride well on saturday and perform strongly in the vuelta.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Ramon Koran said:
The guys got his career ahead of him including the Olympics in acouple of weeks and you want him to throw that all away for a podium on the Tour? He will get plenty of those over his career it's not like he's missed a win. He's won the white and finished 4th in the first GC he has aimed for, not bad.

A similar thing could have been said by Valverde's DS when he withdrew from the Tour in 2005 with a knee injury. It took him ten years and he already had a better pedigree (clinic notwithstanding) than Yates.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

Nick C. said:
Ramon Koran said:
The guys got his career ahead of him including the Olympics in acouple of weeks and you want him to throw that all away for a podium on the Tour? He will get plenty of those over his career it's not like he's missed a win. He's won the white and finished 4th in the first GC he has aimed for, not bad.

A similar thing could have been said by Valverde's DS when he withdrew from the Tour in 2005 with a knee injury. It took him ten years and he already had a better pedigree (clinic notwithstanding) than Yates.
Different rider, different era. Valverde just got unlucky and didn't focus that much on GT's in the end he got his podium anyway.

SlickMongoose said:
Red Rick said:
As for Adam Yates on stage 20. He attacked on the Aspin descent for a few days in white, then he doesn't do it for a podium in Paris? Yo no comprehendo

In the first case he was fresh and feeling strong, in the second he was knackered and barely hanging on to the group.

Fairly straightforward.

It's a descent. Not a climb. Gaps in the breakaway on the descent were a lot bigger than 16 seconds or whatever is was, and pretty sure they climbed as hard as they were knackered as well.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site

Ramon Koran said:
Nick C. said:
Ramon Koran said:

Different rider, different era. Valverde just got unlucky and didn't focus that much on GT's in the end he got his podium anyway.
Yes, but it took a decade is what I was saying. In 2006 he crashed out as a heavy favorite. Then Contador arrived along with Schleck and Evans. I think he was usually hanging at the back so attacking may have been unrealistic, but the future is not a given. 4th is great, really it is, but the maybe next time or thinking about the race up ahead (where I assume Froome will be the leader and Yates would not be on the first page of favorites unless a motorbike takes out the leaders)

TRENDING THREADS