• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
This is a good opportunity for Simon to understand his body better and to continue to build up his endurance - Ride more conservatively at the Vuelta and a top 5 or a podium is a strong possibility - Fairly certain he will stay with the team.
Thats exactly what he shouldn't do. Ride more conservatively? Heck no, riding a bit more conservatively would have resulted and one stage win and he would have bonked massively today either way.

He peaked a bit too early and suddenly all lights just went off, bad recovery or something. But riding conservatively definitely isn't the answer with the characterics he has.

You need to ride more conservatively if you wish to podium or win a GT, unless you are classes above the opposition Which means you don,t peak too early - Finally don't underestimate how taxing doing three consecutive GT's cn be.

I have thought for awhile that the best both Yates will do in a GT ever will be 4th

Its not that they are not great riders ...they are ...but just look at the profile of GT winners
Firstly there are better high mountain climbers out there who are already good in the 3rd week by 25

But the Yates twins can win many races and stages .they are explosive and can climb .....just not GT imo

He probably wasted a bit of his energy with completely unnecessary pulls on stages like the one to Imola. No way however that was the reason for cracking so badly. I'd be surprised if this doesn't have anything to do with illness. To think that two days ago it seemed impossible for him not to win and all of a sudden he isn't even in the top ten anymore. This giro really has been insane

Yates has several things working against him. Peaked early. Spent a ton of energy gaining time on Dumoulin and Froome. After Chaves lost form he missed a true super helper. And after the TT he was just empty and done. If he timed his peak differently and counted on his ability for the final 3 stages it might have gone differently. But then the TT gap might have been too big. It's hard to tell. Maybe he just has poor recovery over 3 weeks

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yates has several things working against him. Peaked early. Spent a ton of energy gaining time on Dumoulin and Froome. After Chaves lost form he missed a true super helper. And after the TT he was just empty and done. If he timed his peak differently and counted on his ability for the final 3 stages it might have gone differently. But then the TT gap might have been too big. It's hard to tell. Maybe he just has poor recovery over 3 weeks
Maybe

But this isn't your average case of fading in the 3rd week.

DBotero said:
S.Yates had a great race and he should be proud of it.It was expected to fade a bit at some point but this was rather strange,complete collapse :( Talent is there,hopefully he'll get a GT win in the future.

I agree, I'm sure it will hurt for a while but he can take the positives from these last 3 weeks. Today just seemed too bad to be a standard third week fade, I'm sure something will come to light.

He's 25 and has plenty of time of time on his side to try and go that step further and win a GT. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up next season.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

yaco said:
liamito said:
yaco said:
Still recovering from his crash in stage 16 of the TDF, hence no San Sebastien.

You sure about that? I'd say his TT was already too good for being really affected by that crash.

I am 100% sure or he will be riding San sebastien.
MITCHELTON - SCOTT for CSS

121 NIEVE ITURALDE Mikel
122 BAUER Jack
123 DURBRIDGE Luke
124 HEPBURN Michael
125 HAYMAN Mathew
126 IMPEY Daryl
127 TUFT Svein

TRENDING THREADS