browser behaving badly

Aug 3, 2009
176
0
0
Good afternoon.Happy weekend to you!
Is anyone using Google Chrome for their browser?Up until yesterday I had no qualms with its performance,lightning fast on my machine.Only problem with it was it wouldn't load PDF files.I had to use I.E. for that function.Doable and tolerable.
Last night and into today Google Chrome has made my PC very unstable(it only happens when I use Chrome)Uses 100% of CPU resources till it locks up.Reboot is only way out,sometimes having to reboot 3 or 4 times to return to normal.
Very frustrating for a computer illiterate like myself:(.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Chrome is pretty bad.. i think its the ghecko engine so rendering etc should be fine, but the actual stability is poor.. It is just so buggy

Firefox is better, but it does still have its problems and can be buggy..

Opera, still the fastest, still the most stable, and still the smallest memory footprint of the lot..

(im using 10.5 internal build)
 
Jan 10, 2010
37
0
0
Ditto...

What dimspace said, chrome is well known for being a massive resource hog and (still) unstable.

Stick with Firefox or Opera.
 
dimspace said:
Chrome is pretty bad.. i think its the ghecko engine so rendering etc should be fine, but the actual stability is poor.. It is just so buggy

Firefox is better, but it does still have its problems and can be buggy..

Opera, still the fastest, still the most stable, and still the smallest memory footprint of the lot..

(im using 10.5 internal build)

ok dim, based on your praise i just dl'd opera. anything i should know going in?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
usedtobefast said:
ok dim, based on your praise i just dl'd opera. anything i should know going in?

theres a thread somewhere.. hang on.. :D

and i might tommoro get the screen recorder out and doing a quick tour of the features and chuck it on youtube, theres a few videos on there but theyre not much good..if i get five minutes i will knock up a quick walk through of the best features

edit: here ya go.. have a plough through this thread
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=3993&highlight=opera
 
Oct 8, 2009
103
0
0
Firefox is better, but it does still have its problems and can be buggy..

I'm having some trouble with firefox lately - the screens on each page keep blanking out so I just get a page of grey. Facebook is really tricky - a lot of the features just won't load. It's working ok on the daughter's laptop (but she's taking that back to uni tomorrow :()

Do any of you technical types know if it's possible to unistall and reinstall it, and if so whether that will make any difference?
 
I installed chrome a couple of months ago (before that i used exporer, just because that's what was installed when I bought the computer). I like chrome, because it is simple and uncluttered, without all the bars and menus; however, it seemed to me that ever since I started using it, everything slowed down. Not only loading web-pages, but even opening a game of solitaire seemed to take a lot longer, with chrome running in the background. Long story short: I saw this thread today, decided to download Opera on the enthusiastic advice of Dimspace, and I'm thoroughly happy about it. everything is twice as fast, at least. Only reason i don't uninstall chrome right away, is because of the hundreds of bookmarks I've made. It's not possible to import chrome-bookmarks into opera, is it?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
zapata said:
Only reason i don't uninstall chrome right away, is because of the hundreds of bookmarks I've made. It's not possible to import chrome-bookmarks into opera, is it?

Yup..

Free edition of transmute.. will convert chrome bookmarks to opera...

http://www.gettransmute.com/download/

One thing to note, this will overwrite your opera bookmarks list, so if you have bookmarks already in there you will lose them.. The way to avoid that is to export your chrome bookmarks to firefox, and then in opera file>import>firefox bookmarks

But if you have no bookmarks in opera transmute is the easy way to do it..

I have done a breif opera tour video but its over ten minutes and i cant find a freeking video site to put it on :/
 
dimspace said:
Yup..

Free edition of transmute.. will convert chrome bookmarks to opera...

http://www.gettransmute.com/download/

One thing to note, this will overwrite your opera bookmarks list, so if you have bookmarks already in there you will lose them.. The way to avoid that is to export your chrome bookmarks to firefox, and then in opera file>import>firefox bookmarks

But if you have no bookmarks in opera transmute is the easy way to do it..

I have done a breif opera tour video but its over ten minutes and i cant find a freeking video site to put it on :/

Thanks! And I have to say, I just started the turbo thing, because I have a pretty slow wireless connection, and now it's just ridiculously much faster than chrome..Never go back!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
ok.. a few video tips... the audio goes about ten seconds out at the end, but whenever i re-render it the quality goes and you cant view the typing.. :/

Dims rough guide to opera
Like i say, audio goes out gradually ending up about ten seconds out.. will redo it at some point, but it gives you a rough look around..

A couple of things i missed on the video..

opera turbo: is a function designed for slow connections... if you have a decent connection disable it.. look at the bottom left hand corner of the screen for opera turbo.. if you are on mobile internet turn it on and it speeds up web browsing massively..

lock tabs: only discovered this today (after 8 years of using opera), right click on a tab and select lock.. prevents the tab being closed.. bloody useful when you are doing something like UPLOADING A VIDEO and close the tab accidentally after 300mb.. :D

And some good speed up tips for opera here
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
zapata said:
Thanks! And I have to say, I just started the turbo thing, because I have a pretty slow wireless connection, and now it's just ridiculously much faster than chrome..Never go back!

Turbos useful for slow connections.. if its set to automatic it will kick in when needed.. basically its the same as their mobile rendering, it reroutes all pages through opera servers and reduces the size of them, so things like images are lower resolution, but for browsing on slow connections really does make a difference..
 
dimspace said:
ok.. a few video tips... the audio goes about ten seconds out at the end, but whenever i re-render it the quality goes and you cant view the typing.. :/

Dims rough guide to opera
Like i say, audio goes out gradually ending up about ten seconds out.. will redo it at some point, but it gives you a rough look around..

A couple of things i missed on the video..

opera turbo: is a function designed for slow connections... if you have a decent connection disable it.. look at the bottom left hand corner of the screen for opera turbo.. if you are on mobile internet turn it on and it speeds up web browsing massively..

lock tabs: only discovered this today (after 8 years of using opera), right click on a tab and select lock.. prevents the tab being closed.. bloody useful when you are doing something like UPLOADING A VIDEO and close the tab accidentally after 300mb.. :D

And some good speed up tips for opera here

hey thanks for the video. just today mozilla has crashed 3 times. never happened before. it knew i was learning opera. i just wish i could type.
 
dimspace said:
ok.. a few video tips... the audio goes about ten seconds out at the end, but whenever i re-render it the quality goes and you cant view the typing.. :/

Dims rough guide to opera
Like i say, audio goes out gradually ending up about ten seconds out.. will redo it at some point, but it gives you a rough look around..

I don't know about anyone else but whenever i try to watch your vid dim, all i can watch is a five minute preview of it. It doesn't really matter for me Dim, as i'm pretty good with Opera (been using i for months now) and know most of the ins and outs of it but other may not be able to view it all either. Thanks anyhow
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
El Imbatido said:
I don't know about anyone else but whenever i try to watch your vid dim, all i can watch is a five minute preview of it. It doesn't really matter for me Dim, as i'm pretty good with Opera (been using i for months now) and know most of the ins and outs of it but other may not be able to view it all either. Thanks anyhow

Hmm strange.. dont know.. fine here.. took me long enough to find somewhere that would take a video over 10 minutes, and the the bloody audio went out of synch. .i was ready to throw the computer across the room..

nb: ive been using it for about ten years (i remember before the banner ad days, which are of course a thing of the past) so about 98 ish, and ive only just found the lock tab function. .id love to know how long thats been there.. :D
 
I downloaded the free version of transmute to convert my bookmarks, tried it but nothing happened. No error-message when it was running, seemed to go allright, but when I opened opera, there was no bookmaks. Tried it several times, nothing. Any idea what's the problem?
 
zapata said:
I downloaded the free version of transmute to convert my bookmarks, tried it but nothing happened. No error-message when it was running, seemed to go allright, but when I opened opera, there was no bookmaks. Tried it several times, nothing. Any idea what's the problem?

i can not seem to get my firefox bookmarks into opera either...
 
Aug 3, 2009
176
0
0
Dimspace,thanks for the Opera suggestion.Its a nice browser but not as fast on my P.C. as google chrome.Found out it was my cable modem software making system unstable.I believe when they do maintenance on their system is when it happens.,usually late at night.I unplug modem reboot and I'm good to go.
Google is lightning fast.Only problem,it won't download PDF files,it times out and I get the AW SNAP screen.
I use Opera for that:D
Thanks again.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Opera 10.5 beta is now out.. even bleeding quicker, and more space efficient..
Only thing ive found is you have to turn off autohide on the windows taskbar cos opera wants the whole screen.

Designed to work better with windows 7, so win7ows users get the most of the benefits..

still beta though.. so dont play if you dont mind the odd glitch..
 
Mar 16, 2009
19,482
2
0
downloaded it 2 days ago. it is fast on vista. have not yet installed on the laptop running 7. but so far I like it. but firefox has all the bells and whistles I use all the time
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
krebs303 said:
downloaded it 2 days ago. it is fast on vista. have not yet installed on the laptop running 7. but so far I like it. but firefox has all the bells and whistles I use all the time

Main thing with seven is it fits the theme a bit better, but also for the mouseoever previews on the windows 7 task bar it shows all open pages etc.
Use of space is brilliant as well, theyve really compacted it all nicely.

Probably 5% more screen space

few lovely touches like the new zoom feature thrown in as well which is really nice.