• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bruyneel blames Vinokourov for ...

First of all he should blame himself for a shameful victory in a stage to Liege in 1995 Tour de France edition. I never saw such as shameful victory (before or after), the day, when he sat back on Indurains rear wheel (all the time) and finally DID TAKE THE WIN (even if yellow jersey was his for sure) is a day to remember.:mad:
Dear Mr. Bruyneel, you should never blame anybody, even if you may be sometimes right.
Don't express your feelings about the character of other riders when you personally dont have any.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Martin said:
First of all he should blame himself for a shameful victory in a stage to Liege in 1995 Tour de France edition. I never saw such as shameful victory (before or after), the day, when he sat back on Indurains rear wheel (all the time) and finally DID TAKE THE WIN (even if yellow jersey was his for sure) is a day to remember.

Are you saying you didn't see "Saint" Hincapie do the same thing to Óscar Pereiro during a 2005 stage?

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Bruyneel didn;t do that to BigMig on purpose he just thought he was a motorbike and was waiting for the comissars whistle that never came.

Sorry to bring the thread back on topic (OK, I'm not sorry.) but wasn't it Bruyneel who initially said the he would prefer that Vino did not return to the team (Astana) after the end of his suspension, this being prior to Vino's declaration that if Bruyneel doesn't like him being on the team he's welcome to hit the road?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Where do you get that? By the way...you are calling him a saint!!!

The stage to Pla d'Adet in the 2005 TDF. Not nearly as bad as the Bruyneel stage, but IIRC George sat on Pereiro's wheel over the last km or so and took the sprint. A huge victory considering it was the tour's queen stage... but kind of tainted all the same.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
The stage to Pla d'Adet in the 2005 TDF. Not nearly as bad as the Bruyneel stage, but IIRC George sat on Pereiro's wheel over the last km or so and took the sprint. A huge victory considering it was the tour's queen stage... but kind of tainted all the same.
Hincapie didn't sit on. There were too many spectators in the way so he couldn't come around.

"I told Pereiro we needed to work together to go away, but you couldn't even go past him there was so many people, there was no room to go."

Epicycle said:
Hincapie didn't sit on. There were too many spectators in the way so he couldn't come around.

"I told Pereiro we needed to work together to go away, but you couldn't even go past him there was so many people, there was no room to go."

AKA "I couldn't get around him so I sat on his wheel." Yes he sat on his wheel, not that I hold it against George. Pereiro is on paper the much better climber so you take a win against a guy like that any way you can when your a big rouleur like Georgie.

Bruyneel on the other hand was LOL. In that situation it is usually expected that he works with Mig to help him get time and Mig then gives him the stage win in a quid-pro-quo because Mig is going for the overall. But in that case The Hog just sat on the race leader's wheel and then took the win from him. LOL.

BikeCentric said:
AKA "I couldn't get around him so I sat on his wheel." Yes he sat on his wheel, not that I hold it against George. Pereiro is on paper the much better climber so you take a win against a guy like that any way you can when your a big rouleur like Georgie.

Bruyneel on the other hand was LOL. In that situation it is usually expected that he works with Mig to help him get time and Mig then gives him the stage win in a quid-pro-quo because Mig is going for the overall. But in that case The Hog just sat on the race leader's wheel and then took the win from him. LOL.

Correction: Big Mig was actually "soon-to-be race leader" in that case if I remember correctly.

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Bruyneel needs to just go away, and the Radio Hack team is a great destination. I'm sick of his and Armstrongs arrogance! The real reason that he is leaving has nothing to do with what he says. He has been lucky enough in his managing carreer to consistantly have top talent at his disposal. Astana will have no real talent next season so he can't pad his palmares, hence time to move on. Armstrong showed his true colors this season, he is truly a sore loser and an a-hole. I hope that Contador moves to Garmin next season and kicks Armstrongs a$$, and his a$$ kissing friend, Leiphiemer.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
POLAND RULES said:
Bruyneel needs to just go away, and the Radio Hack team is a great destination. I'm sick of his and Armstrongs arrogance! The real reason that he is leaving has nothing to do with what he says. He has been lucky enough in his managing carreer to consistantly have top talent at his disposal. Astana will have no real talent next season so he can't pad his palmares, hence time to move on. Armstrong showed his true colors this season, he is truly a sore loser and an a-hole. I hope that Contador moves to Garmin next season and kicks Armstrongs a$$, and his a$$ kissing friend, Leiphiemer.

Wow a first time poster I actually agree with, that's rare

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:

Got to disagree with George on that one. I'd have to review the video to see if he hung on Oscar's back inside the barriers too. If memory serves me well, there was more than enough opportunity to come around and even P&P (big Hincapie fans) were discussing his lack of desire to take a pull. It was still a great feat for a bigger rider to take that stage.

Epicycle said:

IMO, this stage makes better subject matter for the clinic.
Nevertheless.......
BGH did no work in the group, as he was there, "legitimately" policing the breakaway for race leader, LA.

However, his excuse for wheel sucking OP to the finish doesn't wash, as he was not obliged to take up the sprint to the line.
As I intimated, I'd be more inclined to wonder how, after 5 cols and an MTF, he could raise a sprint.

Having said all of that, I can understand why, after years of selfless toil for his nibs, why BGH would be unable to resist taking a stage win.

A popular winner, in unpopular circumstances.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
poland rules said:
bruyneel needs to just go away, and the radio hack team is a great destination. I'm sick of his and armstrongs arrogance! The real reason that he is leaving has nothing to do with what he says. He has been lucky enough in his managing carreer to consistantly have top talent at his disposal. Astana will have no real talent next season so he can't pad his palmares, hence time to move on. Armstrong showed his true colors this season, he is truly a sore loser and an a-hole. I hope that contador moves to garmin next season and kicks armstrongs a$$, and his a$$ kissing friend, leiphiemer.

+100000000000

POLAND RULES said:

so vino had nothing to do with it? based on what?:cool:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I beg to differ

If Hincapie sucked a wheel Peiro or whatever that guys name who inherited Flandis' tdf victory he should have played a little trackie tactics, It is racing ain't it! I do not respect Peiro or whatever his name is and quitting racing without truly defending his Maillot Junne. He is a quitter and is going out like a lamb.

I like Bruyneel anyone who can speak 5 languages emphaticla y I respect.
I like his rapor with his riders and other D.S.

However to blame someone else for whatever makes him a whiner like Cadel and Levi and I hate that Princess attitude.

BikeCentric said:

I don't think it was so much a case of him not wanting to come around, but more like him not being able to come around. Also, people forget this now, but at the time Jalabert and Zulle were Tour contenders and Bruyneel's team leaders.

Interestingly and ironically, it was Lance Armstrong who Indurain countered and dumped just before getting away in that famous breakaway.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
POLAND RULES said:

leipheimer seems like a nice guy. I'd prefer quite a few people to win the tdf instead of AC.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
If Hincapie sucked a wheel Peiro or whatever that guys name who inherited Flandis' tdf victory he should have played a little trackie tactics, It is racing ain't it! I do not respect Peiro or whatever his name is and quitting racing without truly defending his Maillot Junne. He is a quitter and is going out like a lamb.

A quitter? He finished 10th in the 2007 tour. A top 10 is not truly defending the MJ? He had a horrendous crash in the 2008 tour that ended his season and affected his 2009 comeback. That is not quitting. Not even close.

flicker said:
I like Bruyneel anyone who can speak 5 languages emphaticla y I respect.
I like his rapor with his riders and other D.S.

I assume from your spelling and grammar that English is not your first language. I too am impressed by Bruyneel's linguistic skills, and yours too for that matter as I cannot write as well as you do in a second language. I'm not so convinced about Bruyneel's rapport with his riders, but that has already been debated in other threads.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
A quitter? He finished 10th in the 2007 tour. A top 10 is not truly defending the MJ? He had a horrendous crash in the 2008 tour that ended his season and affected his 2009 comeback. That is not quitting. Not even close.

not to mention when he did attack in 08' (before the horrific crash) he was told to drop back by the team. Considering he has ridden in a team fully behind Valverde he has done well imo. (same goes for rodriguez, i cant blame him at all for leaving).
as for 2009, he clearly lacks moral.

i like perriro. great athlete

BTW: I don't blame Echavarri or Unzue putting thier eggs in the valverde basket. I remember watching him at the 05' tour and thinking he was gonna be the man to beat in the tour in years to come. And yeh ok he hasn't won GTs (well in all likely hood that will have changed in 48 hours), but 3 podiums at the vuelta (though just one with caisse -- soon to add a victory also), 2 top ten finishes in the only 2 tours he finished, plus various stage races and one day classic victories have probably made him the most consistant rider in the last few years - irregardless of the suspicions.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
peddaling square.

You are right, my spelling is atrocious. I will try to be more careful and not offend.
Hey I didn't know Perreo rode for Valverde. I love the Spainish riders and climbers. My issue with him is that when he won in 06 every darn rider in the top 10 looked to be enhanced or were later proven dirty. I then became suspicious because Floyd being American I feel was unfairly targeted.
If a crash ruined his 09 season I am truly sorry for him..... NOT a nice way to go.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
IMO, this stage makes better subject matter for the clinic.
Nevertheless.......
BGH did no work in the group, as he was there, "legitimately" policing the breakaway for race leader, LA.

However, his excuse for wheel sucking OP to the finish doesn't wash, as he was not obliged to take up the sprint to the line.
As I intimated, I'd be more inclined to wonder how, after 5 cols and an MTF, he could raise a sprint.

Having said all of that, I can understand why, after years of selfless toil for his nibs, why BGH would be unable to resist taking a stage win.

A popular winner, in unpopular circumstances.

One day I'm going to work out who is more cynical, you or blackcat.

TRENDING THREADS