• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bryan Coquard Discussion Thread

This chap deserves a thread. Upped his game tremendously this year.

Lovable character :redface:, versatile rider, performs on the track, road sprints, cobbles and hilly races. Not a one-trick-pony for sure.

Allez Bryan, a win on the Champs-Élysées would be terrific.

1042523_bryan-coquard-medaille-d-argent-a-l-omnium.jpg

Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
That was his coming of age today. He destroyed the little French races this year, but today he's up there with the big boys.

The battle between Démare and Bouhanni for being France's best sprinter is decided: it's Coquard.

I'l save this for my future signature. :razz:

Re:

Simurgh said:
Sad that he was less than an inch from victory, but he's got a new fan here!
One inch too short...the story of my life ;) .

On a more serious side, yes, he won me over. I liked him before, but today what a blood and guts of a sprint, wow, he deserved it. I hope he wins one. I do. In Paris would be sweet.

Allez Bryan!

If memory serves, he was the only guy to get within six feet of Kristoff last year in Paris.

As a Californian I was rooting for him throughout the AOTC, where he had some close calls but no cigar. Hopefully he can finally break the duck on home soil.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
'Lovable Character'? Some guys I know met him at the GP Montreal a year or two ago and he was a huge d**che. That said, he's a scrappy sprinter and I like him none the less :p

Re:

deValtos said:
https://twitter.com/bryancoquard

Following his non-selection at the TDF Coquard says he is taking a "step back." Says thanks to all fans and supporters.

I don't exactly know what that means though, seems a little ambiguous? Any native-french speakers can translate any better?
He will do some track racing (he's 2012 olympics silver medallist in the Omnium).

What a frustrating year it has been. He may be less successful than last year, but he's still a decent sprinter nonetheless. Now he only took part in Paris-Nice, Critérium du Dauphiné and a couple of Flandrian races at WorldTour level. I understand he's eager to step up.

Re: Re:

No rider will ever again try to do right by his team by giving them loads of advanced warning that they would be leaving. Instead everyone will continue negotiations they have no intention of concluding successfully until after the Tour squad is named. And consequently teams will get less opportunity to recruit a replacement or reorient their team.

I seriously wonder what the sponsor thinks about this. Yes, they have some other decent riders and a rider like Voeckler who always manges to get a lot of exposure, but leaving your by far best rider out of the by far biggest race on the calender... yeah.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
I seriously wonder what the sponsor thinks about this. Yes, they have some other decent riders and a rider like Voeckler who always manges to get a lot of exposure, but leaving your by far best rider out of the by far biggest race on the calender... yeah.

It's purely a sporting decision, though...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/coquard-angry-at-bernaudeau-who-defends-tour-de-france-snub-as-sporting-decision/
I called it a *** explanation.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Not really, at least 2017. Coquard has a very bad season, Calmejane, Chavanel, Hivert, Petit all have made more cq points so far this year.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Coquard hasn't had a great season but who does Bernadeau think he's fooling by calling it a "sporting" decision to leave him off the team.

If he had re-signed with DE he'd be on that team for sure.

TRENDING THREADS