• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bryneel about contador

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Aw, JB is just p!ssed because he read that interview where Andy Schleck said he was looking forward to going hunting with Contador. AS wouldn't come join Retirement Shack, and is proving he likes AC better than LA.

Anyway, it sounds about as childish and unprofessional as all that. Johan needs to learn to keep his trap shut. He looks less and less like somebody you'd want to hire to run an organization and manage people.

Beech Mtn said:
Anyway, it sounds about as childish and unprofessional as all that. Johan needs to learn to keep his trap shut. He looks less and less like somebody you'd want to hire to run an organization and manage people.

I hope he and Armstrong continue to talk, twitter, interview, and use smoke signals. When they communicate they cannot help themselves from looking like the tools that they are. With Armstrong not being competitive with Contador, they looks all the more pathetic.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
Does anyone really think this is anything new? I would have expected nothing less from the Hog (or LA). It's their style, like it or not.

I agree. As much as it looks bad that they are messing with their head, you're right it is their style. Mind games count for a lot in this sport, and I think good on JB for making it interesting and putting the pressure on the number one guy in the sport. When LA was looking weak in 2003, the other riders capitalised on this, by playing the mental game, and saying the number one GT rider was beatable. Cycling is physical and mental, no doubts about it.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Everything I have read about Contador tells me he is not all arrogant. Still lives in his home town of Pinto and always has time for the fans. That and when he races, he tries to winn all the time.

Mountain Goat said:
I agree. As much as it looks bad that they are messing with their head, you're right it is their style. Mind games count for a lot in this sport, and I think good on JB for making it interesting and putting the pressure on the number one guy in the sport. When LA was looking weak in 2003, the other riders capitalised on this, by playing the mental game, and saying the number one GT rider was beatable. Cycling is physical and mental, no doubts about it.

Mind games only work if the other sides cares what is said. Armstrong is a touchy *** who obsesses about what others say about him so he assumes everyone else must be the same. You have to think that some of the other riders are laughing about Armstrong's pathetic attempt to remain relevant.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Everything I have read about Contador tells me he is not all arrogant. Still lives in his home town of Pinto and always has time for the fans. That and when he races, he tries to winn all the time.

He also has a girlfriend named the Macarena. He seems pretty humble. Lance was never humble. Hog should say he is sorry for letting Lance get into both their minds and how it could have cost them the tour by his lack of leadership.Everybody thought Vino was a punk when he laid down the law at Astana shooting off about who would stay and go and how it's "his" team. Armstrong did the same only in a private dinner meeting with JB.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Does anyone really think this is anything new? I would have expected nothing less from the Hog (or LA). It's their style, like it or not.

Yes, but thanks to the wonderful world of Twitter, we all get to see LA and JB in all their unfiltered adolescent tantrums. With Lance's money and connections, he really should send his tweets through some PR person. Unlike some guys, LA uncensored does not come off well. He's no Steven de Jongh, Robert Gesink, or Koos Moerenhout who come off as very likeable.

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
Some perspective for you all

From Andy Schlecks blog

Lots of people have asked what it was like sitting between Lance and Alberto that day. Did they have a quick thumb war as they shook hands? Was Lance wearing a hand buzzer to shock his Spanish rival? Did Alberto slip kryptonite into Lance's pocket? Of course none of those situations transpired. We chatted freely in fact, about the route and what we'd been up to since we last met.

That might be hard to imagine but rivals on the bike aren't always sworn enemies off the bike. They chat and text each other from time to time and it was nice to actually see them. Of course some riders get on better with others but everything was kept cordial. Of course next July I'd like us to be standing in those same positions, with me in the middle and Lance and Alberto on either side of me on the podium in Paris.

Soon enough they'll be sipping a wine together, laughing at all the garbage people spew on the net, if they ever bothered to read it. AC if he keeps it up will have more and more in common with LA as the years go by as well. Hope you haterboys are ready to cope with that. Of course you'll probably all hate him as well by then, there will be a new out of wack love affair with a younger rider. One you can project onto all the virtues you wish him to have, b4 enough exposure to the reality of the person shatters the image.

A

Anonymous

progressor said:

From Andy Schlecks blog

Soon enough they'll be sipping a wine together, laughing at all the garbage people spew on the net, if they ever bothered to read it. AC if he keeps it up will have more and more in common with LA as the years go by as well. Hope you haterboys are ready to cope with that. Of course you'll probably all hate him as well by then, there will be a new out of wack love affair with a younger rider. One you can project onto all the virtues you wish him to have, b4 enough exposure to the reality of the person shatters the image.

My goodness you are one SPOS. To say that you "don't get it" would do a disservice to people who don't get it.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
Mind games only work if the other sides cares what is said. Armstrong is a touchy *** who obsesses about what others say about him so he assumes everyone else must be the same. You have to think that some of the other riders are laughing about Armstrong's pathetic attempt to remain relevant.

That's true, but I guess, when you know you can't beat someone physically, then you really have no other option than the mental games if your objective is to win.

I definately agree, some people will be laughing at the JB/LA antics, especially if he is outdone by AC on the road where it counts. I guess their strategy comes down to this: Do I play games with AC and lose, or do I keep my mouth shut and still lose?

I guess most people with integrity would say, keep your mouth shut and lose, but Ali never kept his mouth shut when he lost, and he still said he's the greatest, so I guess talking the talk, whilst it has serious downfalls and criticisms, may be LAs best shot, at least to an extent, at getting AC to think a little harder than usual

progressor said:
some perspective for you all

from andy schlecks blog

soon enough they'll be sipping a wine together, laughing at all the garbage people spew on the net, if they ever bothered to read it. Ac if he keeps it up will have more and more in common with la as the years go by as well. Hope you haterboys are ready to cope with that. Of course you'll probably all hate him as well by then, there will be a new out of wack love affair with a younger rider. One you can project onto all the virtues you wish him to have, b4 enough exposure to the reality of the person shatters the image.

link please? Thanks

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
progressor said:

From Andy Schlecks blog

You do realize that AS and AC are good friends and get along very well? Something your Idol never managed to do...

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
progressor said:

Soon enough they'll be sipping a wine together, laughing.....

That has about the same chance of happening as you and TFF 'sipping a wine together, laughing'............. (TFF has mentioned before he does not drink)

A

Anonymous

Dr. Maserati said:
That has about the same chance of happening as you and TFF 'sipping a wine together, laughing'............. (TFF has mentioned before he does not drink)

I never sipped, I always chugged. Plus, I would think shooting up with him would be more symbolic of his hero anyway.

progressor said:

From Andy Schlecks blog

On the subject of intra-team rivalries, he confirmed that things were strained between Armstrong and Contador at the Tour launch in Paris. Schleck was sitting between the two, and could feel the hum of tension. “I had a strange feeling. You could see that they are no longer friends.
Has Schlecklet already learned to tell interviewers what he thinks they want to hear?
That interview is here.http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/2...-outlines-season-plans-and-blasts-Sastre.aspx
Guess you quote the one you want to hear huh, Regressor.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
progressor said:

Just to add to the perspective.....

JB is complaining that AC has his own PA, Manager and a mechanic?

Did he say this before or after he got out of his contract with Astana to go to a team owned by CSE, LA's management company set up entirely around LA with Bill, Bartt and Mark at the helm?

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Has Schlecklet already learned to tell interviewers what he thinks they want to hear?
That interview is here.http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/2...-outlines-season-plans-and-blasts-Sastre.aspx
Guess you quote the one you want to hear huh, Regressor.

Like how no-one quotes this

“I was second this year and he [Contador] and I were ahead of Armstrong. I believe the American will be stronger [than 2009] next year, but I think I will too.”

Your quote doesn't really contradict what I quoted, nor does it relate to what I said.

Are you people here all quite young or something?

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Outside the drinking issue, who knows. Sure based on his posting I'd consider him pathetic, but in real person who knows how we'd all on or relate to anyone here we've never met. This is after all a limited means of communication.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
progressor said:
Outside the drinking issue, who knows. Sure based on his posting I'd consider him pathetic, but in real person who knows how we'd all on or relate to anyone here we've never met. This is after all a limited means of communication.
Just because it is limited means of communication does not mean it is ineffective.

Which raises the question why are the vast majority of your posts not related to the subject of the thread and have more to do with individual (or generalizing) posters?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Just to add to the perspective.....

JB is complaining that AC has his own PA, Manager and a mechanic?

Did he say this before or after he got out of his contract with Astana to go to a team owned by CSE, LA's management company set up entirely around LA with Bill, Bartt and Mark at the helm?

Remember when the news broke (LA making the comeback), it was while AC was leading the Vuelta...

I'm sure we will learn more about this saga, Lance hates to lose, too bad for him it wasn't 2008.
:D

progressor said:
Like how no-one quotes this

“I was second this year and he [Contador] and I were ahead of Armstrong. I believe the American will be stronger [than 2009] next year, but I think I will too.”

Your quote doesn't really contradict what I quoted, nor does it relate to what I said.

Are you people here all quite young or something?

Ok, so tell me how these two assessments of the same situation are not contradictory.
Of course none of those situations transpired. We chatted freely in fact, about the route and what we'd been up to since we last met.
Unless the we that he was talking about was he and Armstrong on one side and he and Contador on the other side with no direct communication between the two on the ends. Oh but that would tend to disprove your theory (for lack of anything else to call it) that they "will all sit around and and drink wine and laugh about it".

Schleck was sitting between the two, and could feel the hum of tension. “I had a strange feeling. You could see that they are no longer friends.
Are you so old that you have gone senile?

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
progressor said:

From Andy Schlecks blog

i noticed several people have allready responded to some of your comments.....but i have to ask when you say AC keeps it up , what exactly are you referring to? keeps what up?
and as far as having anything in common with armstrong about the only thing i can think of is tour wins , and at least he has a giro and a vuelta to his name....
its pretty obvious where you stand , so does that mean as the years go by you will also become a contador fan , if as you say he becomes more armstrongesqe....

TRENDING THREADS