• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Budget droper post for giant stance 29 2?

Aug 21, 2021
Visit site
I am considering buying the giant stance 29 2 and i was wondering how much does it cost to get a budget droper post installed on it? It says the frame is made to fit one. Also do you think people at the store could to it for me?
https://showbox.bio/ https://tutuapp.uno/
Thanks for all replies in advance!

Last edited:
I'm using Brand - X Ascend ( most probably in the house brand of Wiggle/Chain Reaction Cycles ) on two of my hardtails and I like them thus far. If your LBS doesn't fit it, it's time to look for a new one!

Also love their thru - axles (for a fraction of a price of the more known overpriced ones, no wonder why major brands are coming with new standards for their axles, lol)

I'm looking to buy one too for my hardtail but since my seatpost has a 27.2mm diameter, my options are a bit restricted.

What's the minimum travel you think it's appropriate for a 1.76m guy without the best technique? Around 100mm? I don't ride nothing really fancy, a 2019 Mondraker Chrono RR, so I didn't want to spend much on top of the line components in case in a couple of years I switch my ride.

I've been inclined to the Crankbrothers Highline of the Kind Shock LEV Si, which I can buy for around 200 euros, plus remote. I've seen some feedback about Crankbrothers's lack of reliability, anyone has experience?

Reactions: jmdirt
I'm looking to buy one too for my hardtail but since my seatpost has a 27.2mm diameter, my options are a bit restricted.

What's the minimum travel you think it's appropriate for a 1.76m guy without the best technique? Around 100mm? I don't ride nothing really fancy, a 2019 Mondraker Chrono RR, so I didn't want to spend much on top of the line components in case in a couple of years I switch my ride.

I've been inclined to the Crankbrothers Highline of the Kind Shock LEV Si, which I can buy for around 200 euros, plus remote. I've seen some feedback about Crankbrothers's lack of reliability, anyone has experience?
Not of their droppers but other Crankbrothers stuff, yes, it can be unreliable. Namely their eggbeater pedals. That's a few years ago though, so no idea what their current stuff is like.

I've not tried them, but PNW do a few 27.2mm droppers, both internal and external routing with a variety of drop lengths (90-110mm) and an internal only routing with 125mm drop. In terms of drop I'd go for the longest you can get away with based on your fit. You want the saddle out of the way, so as far down as possible is best.

Some friends of mine switched from Fox or RockShox droppers (after various problems with them) to OneUp and are quite happy with it. It's just reliable.
@Ricco - for 176cm I'd go for 100mm at least but better a bit more if your frame size and saddle height can take it (even 150 if possible).

My wife was hesitant to try a dropper on her bike so I bought one of the $80 (USD) Zoom from Amazon. The same post is sold under about 10 different names, but they all say Zoom on them (look a bit because they range from $80-150). I got the DynWave one. She was limited by needing a really short post, and external routing. When set at the correct height the bottom of the post is 3 mm above the suspension pivot (that's cutting it close...I was a little worried!) For $80 its not too bad, but we'll see how long it lasts. My guess is that she will only ride this bike for one more year so it would be cool if it lasts that long. FYI: she loves having a dropper...I told her she would! :)

As far as how much travel: I have a 100 mm Fox on my bike and never put it all of the way down. Probably use 80 mm most of the time. I'm 5' 9" with 30" inseam if that helps. If you've followed my 'enjoy the ride' thread you'll know that even though I'm more than a half a century old, I still like to rip and air it out!