• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel Evans appreciation thread.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
If anyone dares call cadel a wheel sucker again I will kill them.

no one gave him a wheel to suck, think about it

giving it the ol' aussie try is fine in trench warfare but is a bit out dated

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Cadel single handedly rode A.Schleck's lead from 5'15" to 2'15" without asking for any help once he realised the others were happy to let the victory go.

Voeckler and Basso deserves absolutely no credit whatsoever, as they were obviously feeling ok and they had a teammate each, yet didn't ride to win. Cowardly.

Cadel was the only one today, apart from Andy obviously, who was prepared to lose to gain the chance to win. Everyone else should hang their head in shame.

It's all well and good to call Cadel a wheel-sucker when thats all he needs to do to win. What about Basso, Voeckler, Contador, Sanchez, Cunego et al sucking wheels while the chance of victory disappears over the horizon. The peleton had 40 wheelsuckers today and one man who decided he wasn't going to be one of them.

I would suggest anyone who has criticised Cadel in the past should use this thread to make amends.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
although i think the time gap only got out to 4:25... he dragged back about 2:10 - awesome effort though and his efforts seem to keep tiredness at bay :)

Andy had the ride of the day, but Cadel was a close second, keeping the GC hopes alive for him and others. If Thomas Voeckler holds on and wins the TdF, he should hand the yellow jersey to Cadel Evans.

Good for TV for doing so much better than anyone thought he could, but he's definitely not the strongest rider or most deserving of the win. Not that I blame him for doing anything and everything it takes to keep it. No doubt for any rider out there, if their only real option was to suck wheel up every single climb to hold on and win the TdF, they'd do it.

delbified said:
chapeau cadel!

the question is: does andy have anything left in the tank for tonight and the ITT? if not, it's cadel's for the taking.

Does Cadel have anything left? Doing all the work to take back over 2 minutes on Andy Schleck was a massive effort. It's going to be all about recovery for both of them.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
patrick767 said:
Does Cadel have anything left? Doing all the work to take back over 2 minutes on Andy Schleck was a massive effort. It's going to be all about recovery for both of them.

In some ways it might be good that Cadel rode on his limit but did not need to go over this.

He seems much more comfortable riding at a pace that he is setting that trying to respond to multiple surges. The fact that he was gaining time and that he still had enough to respond to FS even though he had been working his ring off was a good sign.

i think he will be OK.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
fatsprintking said:
In some ways it might be good that Cadel rode on his limit but did not need to go over this.

He seems much more comfortable riding at a pace that he is setting that trying to respond to multiple surges. The fact that he was gaining time and that he still had enough to respond to FS even though he had been working his ring off was a good sign.

i think he will be OK.

great point - and apart from the last 15 kms he didn't spend the other 45kms in the wind like Andy...

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
UlleGigo said:
Cadel single handedly rode A.Schleck's lead from 5'15" to 2'15" without asking for any help once he realised the others were happy to let the victory go.

Voeckler and Basso deserves absolutely no credit whatsoever, as they were obviously feeling ok and they had a teammate each, yet didn't ride to win. Cowardly.

Cadel was the only one today, apart from Andy obviously, who was prepared to lose to gain the chance to win. Everyone else should hang their head in shame.

It's all well and good to call Cadel a wheel-sucker when thats all he needs to do to win. What about Basso, Voeckler, Contador, Sanchez, Cunego et al sucking wheels while the chance of victory disappears over the horizon. The peleton had 40 wheelsuckers today and one man who decided he wasn't going to be one of them.

I would suggest anyone who has criticised Cadel in the past should use this thread to make amends.

Why? In what race prior to today did he ever just put his head down and drive it? If he did was it ever for more than a few hundred meters at the end?

He did an admirable job today but wasn't it only a few days ago in the Pyrenees where Contador publicly called out Basso and Evans for not responding to the multiple attacks by the Schlecks? What about criticizing his whining and crybaby demeanor -- didn't he throw water on a reporter early in this tour?

He had a fantastic ride, but from his past he certainly deserves the wheelsucker label. He is losing it, but it's not as if it weren't warranted.

Credit where due, he has ridden a tremendous race thus far.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
UpTheRoad said:
Why? In what race prior to today did he ever just put his head down and drive it? If he did was it ever for more than a few hundred meters at the end?

He did an admirable job today but wasn't it only a few days ago in the Pyrenees where Contador publicly called out Basso and Evans for not responding to the multiple attacks by the Schlecks? What about criticizing his whining and crybaby demeanor -- didn't he throw water on a reporter early in this tour?

He had a fantastic ride, but from his past he certainly deserves the wheelsucker label. He is losing it, but it's not as if it weren't warranted.

Credit where due, he has ridden a tremendous race thus far.

I seem to remember that he put his head down in one race and just rode - I cant remember exactly, oh yeah that would be the world championship.

He just put his head down and rode pretty hard trying to catch Sastre up the Alpe d'Heuz one year. He was pretty good in the stage he won this tour as well, when he led everyone out and they couldnt come around him. He descended pretty well the other day too.

He did pretty well in those moutain bike world cup races he won. And I remember he held off Contador in some race that fisnished up a hill last year.

But yeah mate your right - hes just a dirty wheelsucker who has just ridden one "tremendous race".

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
As a fan of AC, I was surprised by Cadel today. I was amazed at how well he could dig back so much time.

He was amazing. Great job by him today. Hope he can continue with the good work on the Alpe. He can sure make the ITT interesting.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
fatsprintking said:
He just put his head down and rode pretty hard trying to catch Sastre up the Alpe d'Heuz one year.

No, he did not. He only began the chase of Sastre in earnest when he was too close to the top. If he would have chased from the bottom then he would have won the Tour.

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
good race

I was beginning to wonder about Andy's fire, his drive and his ability to attack. Can Cadel do the same? Does he have a feirce kick? Even if he does he will be shadowed by Frank and that will also bring Voeckler. I slammed Cadel last year, but like Voeckler I have to give him his due. It seems more of a question of how strong Andy will be versus what Cadel can do. I ask, where is Cadel's fire? I'm no Cadel fan and I trashed him good, but if he can do tomorrow what Andy did today it will quiet some critics. Aside from the nasty/needless crashes, I have really enjoyed this years race.

movingtarget said:
I think if anyone is going to crack it will be Voeckler.

First, Cadel certainly did ride a gutsy ride, doing most of the work at the front of his group up the Galibier. He looked to be bogging down a bit in a big gear in the last few kms today, but still managed to cut a little time off the lead AS had built up.

Voeckler, he mostly looked like he was on a joy ride... until the end. He was looking a little tired there. Andy also looked pretty tired at the end.

So all 3 of those guys... TV, AS, and Cadel put in a pretty hard effort. All 3 of them might pay a little bit for it tomorrow. That might give Franklin, who just sat on wheels all day and REALLY had the easy ride, an opportunity to go out like bro Andy did today. Then Andy could just sit on and let the others try to reel Frank back. Advantage Schleck's here I think.

EDIT: If Cadel survives the day tomorrow and then takes yellow in the ITT, he will be on my Tour hero list for the decade (or so).

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
No, he did not. He only began the chase of Sastre in earnest when he was too close to the top. If he would have chased from the bottom then he would have won the Tour.

Easy to say, but Evans was pretty well running on empty by the time they reached the left turn starting the Alpe. When I watched that stage I saw a guy turning himself inside out but just not having the energy left compared to a much fresher Sastre.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Voeckler, he mostly looked like he was on a joy ride... until the end. He was looking a little tired there.

I was watching Eurosport. Lots of close-ups of Voeckler's face. He looked like he was on the verge of throwing up everytime he ate a bite of food. He was in hell. That he managed to hang on and make it to the end like he did made me start to respect him. That's a guy who pushed himself way beyond his limits and was miserable for most of the race. "A joy ride" is exactly what it wasn't.

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Voeckler should get down on his knees and thank God for Cadel.
Shameful display by the yellow jersey! Bottom of the climb when Cadel was asking for help, Voeckler replied with negative hand signals, what a coward!!!

Cadel is no doubt the strongest rider in the field, just hasn't got a great acceleration.
I feel he won't fall for that trick again today! Fingers crossed for Cadel

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
djkmordi said:
Voeckler should get down on his knees and thank God for Cadel.
Shameful display by the yellow jersey! Bottom of the climb when Cadel was asking for help, Voeckler replied with negative hand signals, what a coward!!!

Cadel is no doubt the strongest rider in the field, just hasn't got a great acceleration.
I feel he won't fall for that trick again today! Fingers crossed for Cadel

Yeah, I saw 3 times in about 30 seconds where Cadel motioned for Voeckler to take the lead, but he declined.
Should have clipped the garlic muncher behind the ear!

May 23, 2010
Visit site
As hard as it was to watch Andy ride away last night and build up the 4:30m gap I believe that Cadel Evans won himself the tour last night. It appeared all over, but his efforts to pull the margin back to what it finished was easily the best ride I have ever seen him do.
Yes he will be tired after yesterday, but so will allof the riders, and i persinally think that Evans likes the look of this short stage tonight. The memory of the late Aldo Sasi will inspire him to a great ride and he will set himself up to claim the yellow in the TT.
Must say well done to Andy though. Don't like him at all, but I have the upmost respect for him after what he did last night.
As for Voeckler, I actually liked him before he took yellow. Since then I have come to realise that he is completely up himself. I am amazed that he can pull that Massive head of his up the hills. His display yesterday in yellow was shameful.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Muriel said:
Superb ride by Cadel. Just about towed everyone up the hill and defended Voeckler's jersey for him.

Reckon he might have a few choice words about Voeckler this evening though ;)
Oh he did in his diary entry....

"A bit strange for a French guy in yellow, this close to Paris.....and even a chance for the White jersey as well. For me, without Voeckler's help, it put me in a loosing situation, with the wind though, escaping from the group was going to be very difficult but not very time effective, so, I just did one turn....for 9km....Basso did swap off for a few seconds, and I think that Europcar guy who could have had White today did one short turn as well, not how I would be looking to set myself for Paris, but we'll see when we get there."

sartoris said:
Why did he let Andy go that far before pushing up?? :confused: He may have lost his last chance ever to win the Tour. What was he expecting? That Contador did the job for him?

Anyway, good show, and I hope he mashes the Sclecklets to a pulp in the crono.
Because nobody (well not many) including myself thought Andy would ride away and get such a massive gap.
Kender said:
huh? he out climbed andy by nearly 2 minutes on the final ascent
2:10 actually ;)

Bennyl said:
great point - and apart from the last 15 kms he didn't spend the other 45kms in the wind like Andy...
Andy was well sheltered by Monfort but yes he had to make a massive effort.
Damiano Machiavelli said:

I don't think cadel could of given much more. He was absolutely on the limit from the bottom and if he started to chase earlier he would of blown in 20008.