• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel evans do or die for tour de france this july

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Cadel will be hoping he gets it right this year as his years are running out it. He will be one of the oldest winners if he does pull it off....Can he do it?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
luigiV said:
Cadel will be hoping he gets it right this year as his years are running out it. He will be one of the oldest winners if he does pull it off....Can he do it?

Yes. Cadel is like a fine wine. More like a Champagne actually!:p

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
they said this at giro 10' and tour / vuelta 09'
his last chance. He hasn't shown signs of slowing down yet. I suspect he will still be ok for another year.

he wont win the tour tho, no way.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
they said this at giro 10' and tour / vuelta 09'
his last chance. He hasn't shown signs of slowing down yet. I suspect he will still be ok for another year.

he wont win the tour tho, no way.

You are right in saying that but the team is better this year, cadel seems to be getting better and cadel is happier. You could very well be right but I don't think we've seen the last of cadel's shots at the tour.

btw, who's the rider in your avatar timmy?

The Evans fans like myself will keep supporting him. I still see the race as being different to last year's edition. I think it won't a be a Schleck/Contador matchrace. No one knows how Contador will back up after the Giro. I expect to see improvement from riders like Gesink and VDB. I hope it's a good race without any serious accidents. It should definitely be a closer race than the Giro as I think it will be impossible for Contador to be that dominant in two consecutive grand tours. Would love to see Evans make a race of it. As usual it's all about the third week even though the Giro was decided long before then.

auscyclefan94 said:
You are right in saying that but the team is better this year, cadel seems to be getting better and cadel is happier. You could very well be right but I don't think we've seen the last of cadel's shots at the tour.

btw, who's the rider in your avatar timmy?

i am pretty sure it is VDB the original one ofc

No, Cadel cannot do it. He couldn't do it in 2007 when it was nearly gift wrapped for him and he couldn't do it in 2008 either with a lesser playing field. I think it's great that some of you guys believe(ACF aside), but I'm not sure if we watch the same Cadel each year.

Cadel has a few things blocking his chances:
- He cannot match the speed on the mountains. Every big mountain he consistently gets dropped, usually early too. I watched a bunch of TdF's in a row and I could almost gurantee the point at which Cadel gets dropped. Not by just one guy either, but usually 3+.
- Contador and now Schleck. He's never going to top Contador in the mountains and Contador's time trial is too good to where Cadel could get any significant time. Cadel could get some time on Schleck in the time trials, but theres not a ton of TT's and Andy can get it back in the mountains easy.
- This year is going to be rather competitive and he's going to be lucky to make the top 5. He's going to have to deal with Basso, who I don't think he will drop, plus others like Samu, Frank(who Andy will pull along), Gesink, etc.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
rzombie1988 said:
No, Cadel cannot do it. He couldn't do it in 2007 when it was nearly gift wrapped for him and he couldn't do it in 2008 either with a lesser playing field. I think it's great that some of you guys believe, but I'm not sure if we watch the same Cadel each year.

Cadel has a few things blocking his chances:
- He cannot match the speed on the mountains. Every big mountain he consistently gets dropped, usually early too. I watched a bunch of TdF's in a row and I could almost gurantee the point at which Cadel gets dropped. Not by just one guy either, but usually 3+.
- Contador and now Schleck. He's never going to top Contador in the mountains and Contador's time trial is too good to where Cadel could get any significant time. Cadel could get some time on Schleck in the time trials, but theres not a ton of TT's and Andy can get it back in the mountains easy.
- This year is going to be rather competitive and he's going to be lucky to make the top 5. He's going to have to deal with Basso, who I don't think he will drop, plus others like Samu, Frank(who Andy will pull along), Gesink, etc.

Don't forget Cadel was either sick, sickish, injured, screwed over by teammates, ganged up upon by other teams, fukked by neutral cars or all of the aforementioned in every single GT he has ever raced.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Don't forget Cadel was either sick, sickish, injured, screwed over by teammates, ganged up upon by other teams, fukked by neutral cars or all of the aforementioned in every single GT he has ever raced.

or had an arsehole team mate in jurgen van den ****!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
No, just no. You really expected Jurgen to work for Cuddles in 2009 after the crappy form he showed there?

That would have been nice after they waited for him in the TTT. Oh wait.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
luigiV said:

I'm afraid Evans best days are behind him. I know he's been able to convince a lot of people he's a Tour contender, but at this point it's just fantasy. Him and Wiggins won't even find themselves in the top-10.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Evans can win the tour, he is certainly no better than the third best rider in the race and it is quite arguable that there are more riders that are stronger than him. If he gets in the top five he will have done really well. I will though be hoping I am wrong and will be delighted to be proved so.

TERMINATOR said:
I'm afraid Evans best days are behind him. I know he's been able to convince a lot of people he's a Tour contender, but at this point it's just fantasy. Him and Wiggins won't even find themselves in the top-10.

Even if you are partially right, he is still good enough to finish in the top 10 at least and he will. As far as Wiggins is concerned, who knows. Being a fan is supporting your team or favourites at all times not just when they are winning. It seems that many fans don't understand that concept. Really, it's not that complicated.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:

And here I thought He was having one of the season's in his career up to this point.

Guess your inside knowedge of him being past it is reasonable tho.

Now if you argued that the opposition (from a younger generation) was progresssing to a higher level, taht might be reasonable.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Cadel can't win the tour. He can take yellow, he can win time trials, he can win mountain stages, he can win hard one-day races, he can win hard one-week stage races. But he can't quite handle the three week tour - he always cracks. And it's not his age necessarily. In fact, I would give Horner a better chance of winning.

the vagabond said:
Cadel can't win the tour. He can take yellow, he can win time trials, he can win mountain stages, he can win hard one-day races, he can win hard one-week stage races. But he can't quite handle the three week tour - he always cracks. And it's not his age necessarily. In fact, I would give Horner a better chance of winning.

Yes, yes and yes again. Maybe he'll win yellow in a similar way to last time - but there is no chance he'll take the massive accelerations Contador and Schleck will throw at him over many mountain stages.

TRENDING THREADS