• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel evans do or die for tour de france this july

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Im renowned for oversensitivity but considering recent events, I dont like the phrase Die in the thread title.

Im not Cadels biggest fan, but I would rather he did than died at the tour.

I don't and pls grow up. these are hyperboles

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
parrulo said:
16333-872010-400-278.jpg

_o_

maltiv said:
He should start targeting GTs that actually suit him. For example, he could easily have won last years vuelta.

Unfortunately to do so would be to give up on his dream of winning the Tour. He will always try the Tour first and the Vuelta will be option after having failed the Tour again. I can't imagine him passing up the Tour to target the Vuelta. I doubt his sponsor would even allow it.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Don't forget Cadel was either sick, sickish, injured, screwed over by teammates, ganged up upon by other teams, fukked by neutral cars or all of the aforementioned in every single GT he has ever raced.

Bad luck seems to follow him. I say he crashes again this year.

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
lol cadel do or die....made me laugh a little bit.he's just 34,he still has at least 5 years of freshness to win a grand tour,my pick-vuelta 2013 battle royale versus duarte.

yeh for the tour de france its do or die he will be one of the the oldest to win it if he can it would be awesome !!...but age isnt on his side and the older he gets the harder it will most definetly become .

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
although I think he is a dousche off the bike. I hope he wins. however

I just dont see him handling the accelerations and surges contador and Schelk will deliver. he isnt built to recover like that and its the reason he doenst attack. because he cant

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
As much as i love him for never giving up on his dream of le tour i think it has past him. Going for Vuelta is definitely his best option for a GT win.

Ignoring GTs, i'd love to see him have a full on crack at a Classics season. I reckon he'd have a fair crack at Flanders or PB given how he nailed 'the' Giro stage last year.

or turn his focus to a TT world title?

movingtarget said:
More chance the sun was in the eyes of the Spanish rider that fell in front of him in 2008.

Was I dreaming or AC had a hairline fracture similar to Cadel in Il Giro 08?

Maybe is just me, but as much as I like Cadel, he always find a delicious escuse to faulter.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Cadel can win the TdF. However as others have indicated, the stars will need to be in alignment. I rate him about a $13 chance FTW, $3 podium.

Cadel:
. cannot match accelerations of AC AS on the big climbs
. redlines in his determination to stay with the best (if he can/decides to tempo at OBLA, he will either catch up or minimize his losses)
. will probably compete hard in the Dauphine (this concerns me most of all...from a winning the TdF prospect) ...hope he is currently well short of his peak
. needs to be peaking for week 3... something he has not done recently.

If he wins the Dauphine great (no sarcasm intended).
Whatever, I hope he competes hard in the TdF but measures his effort with emphasis on the 3rd week.
If he fails (according to his/team's criteria) at TdF then I hope he reassesses his future GT plans.

Because he could be a superbe Classics competitor and team mentor.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully he doesnt' come top 3 and hopefully he doesn't come top 3 in the Dauphine.

Aussie's overrate him and think he is the second coming of Jesus Christ. Seeing him not come top 3 in any of these races will make my day. :D

just some guy said:
Also indicates that BMC are not going after Cav as reported.

So Cav to Sky or Greenedge no one else can afford him I guess.

I'd be surprised if BMC went for Cav because that would mess up their Tour roster some by having to support both Cav for the sprints AND Cadel for the GC. Just like the dilemma Telekom had when they had both Zabel and Ulle in their Tour roster, but admittedly this was more of a problem later in Zabel's career when he was slowing down a bit. But even if the sprint guy is going good that still means at least one less support rider for the GC guy.

So, yeah, Cav to somewhere else other than BMC.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
BMC should give up on Cadel's GC hopes anyway. Wins are more important and they are not getting enough of them so getting Cav will ensure they win more races.