• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel Evans is the "Mark Martin" of cycling!

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Evans needed 20-30 more watts at threshold for either the final TT or the Alp. If he had this he would have easily won the Tour.

If I remember this right...and I may not!

So my recollection is the Schleck's were pretty upset after the way that day played out. When interviewed over the next couple of days they found it tough to hide their feelings about this.

I always wondered to what extent this was tactics/planned by CSC or some what opportunistic by Sastre. I am sure that it was deliberate that he went at that point on the Alpe but did CSC expect it to stick? And were the Schlecks then simply obliged to let him go? It certainly looked like they could have had a good go at pulling him back...but you wouldn't pull a team mate back ... and he was still the team leader even though he wasn't in yellow.

And I think it is not unconnected that Sastre is no longer with CSC - that day in my view had a part to play in this - I am sure we could start a whole new thread about that one.

With respect to Evans - who knows - with my 20/20 hindsight goggles on sure he should have tried to limit his losses against the eventual winner Sastre. But I think he lost the race (in his head) long before this - he was wasn't mentally tough enough to handle the pressure of being the favourite back then. He did some weird stuff much earlier in the race off the bike. He's been there now and I think this time at least from that perspective he will be much stronger.

Roll on July

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
Evans needed 20-30 more watts at threshold for either the final TT or the Alp.

I vote for the TT. Tactics beat him on the Alpe, not his power output. On the Alpe d'Huez Cadel had to cover both Frank Schleck and Sastre as both were his most direct threats. Both do not light the TT world on fire, so Frank was the natural choice to cover because he was only 1 second behind him on the GC. He had to pick one and he picked Frank hoping that he could limit his losses to Sastre because Sastre was further behind on the GC than Frank. Hindsight is 20/20 and we armchair experts can criticise as much as we like, but Cadel and the other GC contenders have more talent in their little finger than the vast majority of us and I believe they all made the best tactical decisions available to them in the heat of a very intense battle. Remember it was not only Cadel that was beaten by SaxoBank tactics, but also Menchov, Vande Velde, Valverde, Kohl, Efimkin, etc. Did they all make the same mistake? Doubtful. They were all one against three, and they all could not cover both Frank and Sastre. They all made the most rational decision and, once this decision was made, the Schleck brothers did a fantastic job of breaking the rhythm of the chasing group and spoiling any challengers to Sastre.

Cadel needed the extra 20-30W in the TT to make back the time he lost to Sastre on the Alpe. These are no excuses for his inability to make back this time, but he had crashed previously and was probably more tired because he was less protected than Sastre. These are probably the reasons why he did not have the threshold power required to win the TT and the TdF. But, bottom line, the truth was revealed in the race of truth (not the Alpe d'Huez stage).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Spot on there elapid, especially about the talent bit, that is why they are there and we are here.
BTW who is Mark Martin? I presume he never wins anything?

Power13 said:
Uh, OK. You realize your second sentence completely contradicts your first one, right?

Carry on....

Allright, if you insist. Shleck wasn't a sure thing, so SaxoBank played it's other cards. Sastre goes up the road, while Evans marked Shleck. He shouldn't have. A man in his position needed to react with violence, risking all, but possibly winning the Tour. Not having a strong team only put more pressure on him. It was a tough exam and only a super champion would have passed it. Hinault, Lemond, Indurain, Armstrong would have. That's why they all one multiple Tours. Cadel didn't, that's why he lossed last year's.

hoolaparara said:
I'm surprised people haven't worked that Evans biggest problem is that he is simply not nearly as good a time trialist as he thinks.

He does a good first time trial. He is not as good in a time trial at the end of the Tour. I seem to recall several of his TdFs that have that pattern, but I am too lazy at the moment to check.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what he thinks, I ain't in his head! hahahaha:p

But I agree with BroDeal, it seems the first time trial is always much better than the second in the tour.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Nope

Cadel is a good bike rider. Nobody can argue that. A lot of people would be VERY happy to have his resume. However, for someone who fancies himself as a contender in the TdF every year, he's sadly mistaken. He will never win a Tour. Not a chance. He waits and waits and waits but never knows what he is waiting for.

Cadel will never win a tour. He's chop suey.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
He does a good first time trial. He is not as good in a time trial at the end of the Tour. I seem to recall several of his TdFs that have that pattern, but I am too lazy at the moment to check.

Nor is Cancellara's. I think 3 weeks of work might have something to do with it!! FC is busy working for his team, CE is busy riding at the front in the mountains.

Personally, I think he did a pretty fair effort considering the amount of work he did in isolation without a strong team around him. Contrast that against Contador, Leipheimer or Sastre's protection by their teams.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well I do. And it's all to clear Contador is the most talented rider in the peloton. Nobody can beat him except himself (see Paris Nice where he forgot to eat)

The doping Chicken kept up with him. Or should I say Contadope kept up with the doping Chicken.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Power13 said:
FYI....Mark Martin won the Sprint Cup race yesterday.
:eek:

Cool.

80230377-480-90-480-70.jpg

58_Mark_Martin_02_21_09.jpg

TRENDING THREADS