• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel's only hopes

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
colwildcat said:
I still think that in a tour, unless it was absence any explosive climbers, Cadel is not built to win. He simply cannot accelerate with Contador, with a Basso, etc on the big climbs. Team or not, I think his shot at this has passed.

That's garbage. Indurain beat guys like Chiapucci who had a far bigger acceleration... Ullrich beat Pantani who had a far bigger acceleration in the mountains.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
One of the things I have noticed this year over the past few years for Cadel is his position when riding in the peleton. Previously he was always highly visible at the front but this year he is having alot of trouble staying near the front. It is alot easier to chase down attacks from one bike back instead of six or seven bikes back.
He needs a teammate there to help him hold his position like Horner did. He is getting beat up, at Verbier he was at least 12 back from the front when the first acceleration went and it took alot to get back just before the next attack went.
He was very strong leading into this race and maybe he is unwell now; as far as his comments, you should listen to the questions he is asked in the first place. I think he should do an Armstrong and just have a press blackout.
He is used a scapegoat by management when things don't go right and they should have the guts to admit they don't know what the hell they are doing.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Regarding it supposedly being CE & SL's problem to have failed to motivate Popo into working for them... would it really have been too much to expect him to have done a professional job and 'buried himself' for the team in return for his not insignificant paypacket?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
He did take responsibility that he wasn't good enough. But you also have to acknowledge that his taem support for the tour over the past 4 years has been dismal. This shows that Lotto's main priority is the classics which they have been terrible over the past 5 years.

totally agree...but he did resign with the team in that time. his responsible as well for the team around him

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
But you also have to acknowledge that his taem support for the tour over the past 4 years has been dismal.

so, now its the past 4 years ...

he was never going to be able to win the tdf as he doesnt have the acceleration on the climbs, no matter what team he has around him.

they made some wrong decisions attracting certain cyclists and, yes, they are classics orientated, and dont have an unlimited budget like some of the other armada's. he got the status and appreciation at lotto so thats probably the reason why he is staying with them (along with what he is paid).

so, cadel's only hopes ... is to keep cycling and for you to stop whinging about it. if he aint got it, he aint got it.

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
sigh, lots of riders have won the tour without being explosive climbers. this has been mentioned before. ullrich and indurain are the most obvious choices.

being australian, and being a big fan of cadel, it is sad to admit but i dont think he will be a contender in the tour again.
its strange how everyone now talks about sastre winning the tour last year on the alpe d'huez, but how i remember it was that evans lost it on the final TT.

i think he's better suited to going to the giro to win, but with a belgian team, i dont think its high profile enough for them vs the tour.

and i dont think silence/davitamon-lotto can be blamed for not putting together a strong enough team. theyve had some bad luck with kohl, dekker, injuries, lazy popovich and so on. they also let robbie mcewen go, as massive as he was in belgium, so that they could focus on cadel being a GC contender.
Have lotto had a team good enough to win for Cadel? No
Is that their fault? I dont believe so

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
No hope for him anymore. Probably missed his last chance last year.

I agree, I can't see him improving much in the comin years, he is getting older. Unlike riders like, Schleck, Conta, Gesink, Nibali etc who are improving heaps each year, most of which are already stronger then him (in the mountains anyway)

Cadel is better off targeting the giro or vuelta, and become the first aussie GT winner. Because he aint gonna win a tour.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
lol @ mike tomalaris suggesting Liquigas for Cadel Evans...

Yeah okk... Nibali, Kruziger, Basso and Pellizotti.. they have plently of room for another GC contender :D

His logic = italian wife

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
lol @ mike tomalaris suggesting Liquigas for Cadel Evans...

Yeah okk... Nibali, Kruziger, Basso and Pellizotti.. they have plently of room for another GC contender :D

His logic = italian wife

I suggested Lampre because Cunego can no longer be considered a GT contender.

Evans salary is so high that few teams could afford him, though. Katusha is flush with cash.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Maybe. I think we will find out that he is sick. What other explanation could there be?

He needs a team that will allow him to target the Giro and the Vuelta. Forget about the Tour.

Cuddles is a complete headcase.

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Acturally media report this morning are quoting the Silence sponser Omega as saying the following:

Coucke the chief executive of Omega Pharma that is the main sponsor of the team and has veto over who is signed or not, yesterday confirmed that the emergence of Belgian teammate Jurgen Van den Broeck, 26, was an issue and strongly indicated that he is seen as the way forward for the team.

"We don't want to get rid of Cadel. I can assure you this. This is the last time Cadel will be the only leader in this team. Next year if Cadel is on the team Van den Broeck will be at the same level, as co-leader - if not above him," Coucke said.

Coucke then revealed how he regarded Van den Broeck already, when referring to Silence-Lotto's poor team time trial that saw the team lose more the two minutes 27 seconds after the Belgian rider was left behind after crashing. Van den Broeck was later furious that the team did not wait for him.

"It starts with a team time trial [stage four] where we forgot to wait for our leader. Bon, he wasn't then our leader ..." Coucke said.

However, the Silence-Lotto team boss also credited Evans with what he has contributed to the team and stressed that the development of both parties was due to what each other offered

"You have to look at Cadel's past. He was one of the great hopes. He had horrible time at T Mobile. Then he went to a little team [Lotto] that little by little rose to a world level. Two times second in the Tour was fantastic. He did a lot for our team as well," Coucke said.

"We would have preferred four years ago that Cadel was Belgian. Cadel would have preferred that our team was Australian. But that doesn't exist."

Extract taken from an article by Aussie cycling journalist Rupert Guiness. I think we can safely say then Evans and Lotto are about to part ways. Evans illness is no doubt the above. Appears team leadershi pat Silence is based on nationality nothing else. Pathetic

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It's common for riders who leave Lotto to say the team is partial to belgians, that the belgians will all hang out together, have lunch together, etc. and not invite anyone else. etc.

Doesn't happen with any other team, to my knowledge, but it speaks volumes about how poor the atmosphere is there.

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Yeah Lotto seems to hold a poison pen.. speaks volumes about team management. By all report Evans is set to make an announcement on his future at the end of the tdf.. So what will that announcement be??

I think he will be parting ways with lotto .. maybe too late, but better than never I guess. Can't image he will want to retire .. so that means he is looking for a new team. Seriously what are the chances of him going to sky?? Two aussies in charge, english speaking team, sponsored by aussie media magnate and they would have the budget to afford him. Not sure if they have GC hopes. Guess alot depends on Cav's status too. If not sky where else???? Can't see him being on the list for the new JB/LA venture..

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Cuddles is a complete headcase.

LOL @ Cuddles.

his is in a world of pain now - his dreams have been shattered and he just can't push himself the way that he would if he was still fighting for the overall

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Bit poor on silence behalf. Cadel basically carried that team for a few years with Mcewen. Brought them world wide notoriety and as soon as a half decent belgian comes along they give up on him. He never had a chance with the little support they gave him in years gone by and straight away van den broeck gets everything necessary. My big hope is that he leaves for a team were he is gets the credit he deserves. I would love an aussie team put in i wouldnt think that will happen for a few years yet though.

Wouldnt it be awesome to see Cadel go into the team JB and LA create. I know he wouldnt be out and out leader of that team (obviously LA would be) but working in the team environment he would definately have a chance at podium again. And be on a winning team.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Evans salary is so high that few teams could afford him...
Cadel started with Lotto on a primarily performance based salary, and he has performed well in the TdF except this year. Along with that salary he was offered more input into the team, if he got to the podium. Well i won't comment on this aspect.:mad:
He has finished on the podium the last 2 TdFs, 4th the year before, and 4th at Vuelta so why shouldn't he get a good salary(no where near the highest paid).

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
TibetT said:
Acturally media report this morning are quoting the Silence sponser Omega as saying the following:

Coucke the chief executive of Omega Pharma that is the main sponsor of the team and has veto over who is signed or not, yesterday confirmed that the emergence of Belgian teammate Jurgen Van den Broeck, 26, was an issue and strongly indicated that he is seen as the way forward for the team.

"We don't want to get rid of Cadel. I can assure you this. This is the last time Cadel will be the only leader in this team. Next year if Cadel is on the team Van den Broeck will be at the same level, as co-leader - if not above him," Coucke said.

Coucke then revealed how he regarded Van den Broeck already, when referring to Silence-Lotto's poor team time trial that saw the team lose more the two minutes 27 seconds after the Belgian rider was left behind after crashing. Van den Broeck was later furious that the team did not wait for him.

"It starts with a team time trial [stage four] where we forgot to wait for our leader. Bon, he wasn't then our leader ..." Coucke said.

However, the Silence-Lotto team boss also credited Evans with what he has contributed to the team and stressed that the development of both parties was due to what each other offered

"You have to look at Cadel's past. He was one of the great hopes. He had horrible time at T Mobile. Then he went to a little team [Lotto] that little by little rose to a world level. Two times second in the Tour was fantastic. He did a lot for our team as well," Coucke said.

"We would have preferred four years ago that Cadel was Belgian. Cadel would have preferred that our team was Australian. But that doesn't exist."

Extract taken from an article by Aussie cycling journalist Rupert Guiness. I think we can safely say then Evans and Lotto are about to part ways. Evans illness is no doubt the above. Appears team leadershi pat Silence is based on nationality nothing else. Pathetic

Very telling story if it is indeed true. A couple of points. Firstly the discontent clearly stems from the TTT where Silence sat up after the VDB fall losing a good 30secs. Team orders were to see if VBD could regroup but im sure Cadel would have preferred to put the hammer down. Maybe he made the call to continue on the road and its this that's caused the conflict? Plausible explanation.

Secondly this reeks of the Belgians putting faith into a rider that has yet to prove himself. Sure, he's a good young rider, but im not sure if he's a top tier they've expecting him to be. It's been a long time between drinks for the Belgians and this one may be another false hope. As for VDB being furious, i suspect he values himself somewhat higher than outsiders do presently. Can't see why he should be a protected rider based on his palmares.

Evans should move to Lampre or Cervelo for mine.

unsheath said:
Very telling story if it is indeed true. A couple of points. Firstly the discontent clearly stems from the TTT where Silence sat up after the VDB fall losing a good 30secs. Team orders were to see if VBD could regroup but im sure Cadel would have preferred to put the hammer down. Maybe he made the call to continue on the road and its this that's caused the conflict? Plausible explanation.

Secondly this reeks of the Belgians putting faith into a rider that has yet to prove himself. Sure, he's a good young rider, but im not sure if he's a top tier they've expecting him to be. It's been a long time between drinks for the Belgians and this one may be another false hope. As for VDB being furious, i suspect he values himself somewhat higher than outsiders do presently. Can't see why he should be a protected rider based on his palmares.

Waiting for VdB only to start pushing again before he gets on. Evans sprinting away from the others at the line (a few seconds ahead)... Really shows the shambles of the team in general.

powderpuff said:
Cadel started with Lotto on a primarily performance based salary, and he has performed well in the TdF except this year. Along with that salary he was offered more input into the team, if he got to the podium. Well i won't comment on this aspect.:mad:
He has finished on the podium the last 2 TdFs, 4th the year before, and 4th at Vuelta so why shouldn't he get a good salary(no where near the highest paid).

It does not matter why his salary is so high or whether he deserves it or not. There are a limited number of teams that can afford to pay the money he makes. This gives him few choices of where to go unless he is willing to take a big pay cut.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:

Cadel and the team did wait the first time for him to get back but then he had to change his bike so they decided not to wait again, VdB was a key member for the TTT but he was losing more time than he would gain. If you look at the second half of the TTT except for the first couple of teams they were right up there. They also had to wait for another team member who had a flat tire.

With VdB as the new team leader; Big difference between climbing in the breakaway and being a domestique to being a team leader where your every move it watched and being challenged throughout the race. You can't say he was there for Cadel when he needed him most; Cadel doesn't need him up the road he needs him at the front of the peleton to protect his position and give him a teammate to help when trying to chase down AC and others. I think VdB will be a future GC contender but he has a long way to go yet.

Coucke; well all he wants is palmares, and fair enough being a sponsor but he has also got to stick to his word when promising things.

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
It appears that the story coming from the sponsors is indeed true. It is right across the aussie media and starting to reach intnational press (interview was with aussie journo). Same journo also commenting that Evans was left to fend for himself on the rest day interviews. VdB is a hope at best for Lotto, but doubt he will ever be a real contender..esp with Silence Lotto.

The cracks hae been showing at Lotto for a while now.. Robbie went to Katusha, Riddley followed, they signed Canyon as the new bike sponsor (WTF), messed up with the giro roster.. the list is endless.

Evans an Cervelo is one team I think is no chance. Not inclduing the Sastre issue, it just seems to be a really poor match. LA/JB would be fun, can you imagine their TTT, but given that Popo will be going their (one assumes) then think its off the cards. Really Evans and Popo are not the best of friends LOL's. Time will tell.

Can't wait to see Silence Lotto sink into obscurity.

TRENDING THREADS