• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel's only hopes

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
lone_cowboy said:
Bit poor on silence behalf. Cadel basically carried that team for a few years with Mcewen. Brought them world wide notoriety and as soon as a half decent belgian comes along they give up on him. He never had a chance with the little support they gave him in years gone by and straight away van den broeck gets everything necessary. My big hope is that he leaves for a team were he is gets the credit he deserves. I would love an aussie team put in i wouldnt think that will happen for a few years yet though.

Wouldnt it be awesome to see Cadel go into the team JB and LA create. I know he wouldnt be out and out leader of that team (obviously LA would be) but working in the team environment he would definately have a chance at podium again. And be on a winning team.

Imagine if Lotto didn't have McEwen or Evans. They would be a team like Skil Shimano is at the tour.I don't think Cadel got dropped on the stage 16 due to bad legs. I think it was a combination of team politics and having such a bad tour. Stage 17 Evans was dropped on the climb but i think he was saving his legs for the tt. A guy like him on a bad day doesn't get dropped on the first climb. He was half joking about being in the grupetto. He can't wait to get out of Shytehole Lotto. A fresh start for him would be great.

I think either he will go to Garmin, Cervelo, Katusha or AG2R. All teams have strong climbers on their team and most likely the ttt won't be in next year:)

May 26, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I don't think Cadel got dropped on the stage 16 due to bad legs. I think it was a combination of team politics and having such a bad tour. Stage 17 Evans was dropped on the climb but i think he was saving his legs for the tt. A guy like him on a bad day doesn't get dropped on the first climb. He was half joking about being in the grupetto. He can't wait to get out of Shytehole Lotto. A fresh start for him would be great.

Wishful thinking? Agreed, a guy like him does not ride with the grupetto, but it looks like there's something really wrong with him. At first I thought it might just be that he's not 'with the program' enough to compete with AC, Schlecks et al, but this is now way out of the ordinary. I hope it won't turn out to be something serious.

Yes, a fresh start with a team that gives him some sports psych support and media training in addition to normal training help would probably see him do well. If SL really left him alone for his press conference, and not at his specific request, they're just not managing and helping him properly.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
lone_cowboy said:
Wouldnt it be awesome to see Cadel go into the team JB and LA create. I know he wouldnt be out and out leader of that team (obviously LA would be) but working in the team environment he would definately have a chance at podium again. And be on a winning team.

Yeah, I can imagine him a lot more comfortable and strong in a situation like that where he can slot into a well organised team where he won't have to be team leader or be expected to win the TdF as sole GC hope. In fact, a team with CE/AK/LL plus LA and a young rider for the future would be a powerhouse. Contador could do a lot worse than slot in there as the golden child with a super team behind him, but I guess he's not an option.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Just read this, if you are an Australian or Cadel fan then you may not be happy to read this (like me):

Marc Sergeant - "Positive after all, thanks Jurgen"

Cadel Evans disappears immediately in the coach. Marc Sergeant must answer the difficult questions.

"What can I say, apart from that Cadel is not sick, and that there are no tensions whatsoever in the team between him and the sports direction.

Cadel will ride next year for us, and it will be in perfect harmony.

That Jurgen is doing so well is obviously positive for us. Thanks him, this is after all a successful Tour."

Sargeant says their is no tension in the team but states that Cadel disappears immediately in the coach. That obviuosly means their is tension in the team. Then he goes on that Cadel will ride for us next year. I really do hope that Cadel isn't staying with tose muppets at Silence Lotto. They can say Cadel isn't performing this tour (which is true) but they should look at themselves and take some blame for the crappy job of getting a team to support Cadel. Sargeant says it's a successful tour when really it has been quite the opposite.

A few days a go i heard that Cadel was going to make a statement about his future at Lotto. I was hoping he was going to leave Lotto but now im totally confused. Please help me decipher all these contradicting, mixed messages. Lotto are starting to sound like Astana with all their denying of in fighting and all their contradicting messages about team leadership.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand how Cadel's performance in this Tour has anything to do with his team or the politics?? What people seem to be suggesting is that he is throwing the tour to prove a point to his team so they do .... ?? If he is getting dropped on climbs against riders that he could compete with at other races this season and certainly at the tour last year, what is the difference and why is he being so evasive about it. If he is sick why not say that, or at least give some idea of why he is not riding well.

A

Anonymous

bikeGURU said:
I don't understand how Cadel's performance in this Tour has anything to do with his team or the politics?? What people seem to be suggesting is that he is throwing the tour to prove a point to his team so they do .... ?? If he is getting dropped on climbs against riders that he could compete with at other races this season and certainly at the tour last year, what is the difference and why is he being so evasive about it. If he is sick why not say that, or at least give some idea of why he is not riding well.

I dont really want to say it, but i think a few riders are riding at less than there previous performances, for very particular reasons.. ;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Just read this, if you are an Australian or Cadel fan then you may not be happy to read this (like me):

Marc Sergeant - "Positive after all, thanks Jurgen"

Cadel Evans disappears immediately in the coach. Marc Sergeant must answer the difficult questions.

"What can I say, apart from that Cadel is not sick, and that there are no tensions whatsoever in the team between him and the sports direction.

Cadel will ride next year for us, and it will be in perfect harmony.

That Jurgen is doing so well is obviously positive for us. Thanks him, this is after all a successful Tour."

Sargeant says their is no tension in the team but states that Cadel disappears immediately in the coach. That obviuosly means their is tension in the team. Then he goes on that Cadel will ride for us next year. I really do hope that Cadel isn't staying with tose muppets at Silence Lotto. They can say Cadel isn't performing this tour (which is true) but they should look at themselves and take some blame for the crappy job of getting a team to support Cadel. Sargeant says it's a successful tour when really it has been quite the opposite.

A few days a go i heard that Cadel was going to make a statement about his future at Lotto. I was hoping he was going to leave Lotto but now im totally confused. Please help me decipher all these contradicting, mixed messages. Lotto are starting to sound like Astana with all their denying of in fighting and all their contradicting messages about team leadership.

According to Rupert Guiness (SMH reporter), Cadel will be making a statement on sunday. I will believe it when I see it.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
bikeGURU said:
I don't understand how Cadel's performance in this Tour has anything to do with his team or the politics?? If he is sick why not say that, or at least give some idea of why he is not riding well.
Cadel is not sick or physically limited at the moment. He was going to and fro from the team car yesterday not getting dropped, he was talking to them working out what were the plans for him for the stage and the rest of the race.
He is going to finish in Paris; what will happen between now and then, is Cadel's decision.;)

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Lotto will say whatever they want to keep the press from belgium happy. For Cadel to move on next year they ahve to reach mutual agreement. Not that I can see any logic any keeping a rider who does not want to be on the roster. Thre are obviously very serious problems inside lotto and Evans has said he will make a statement on sunday after race. Until then it is all speculation. Can't see him delibratley going slow - more likely he has been told to lose massive chunks of time, so he will be allowed to go into a break and try for a stage win. Odds on Cadel stays with Lotto imho zero.

Powerpuff: just a question from what I saw the team car was follwing Jurgen in the breakaway?? What coverage where you watching?

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Cadel signing with SL was the worst mistake of a Cyclist ever. We will know what has been going on when he changes teams. If I was rich, Id buy out his contract.

I have been told that he asked to be released a few days ago and was told "not on your ****ing life, unless you pay 5 million USD. Thats what SL reckons he is worth in advertising.

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Interesting .. would love to know where you heard that one. Only team that could manage that would be sky or LA/JB. He won't be worth much in advertising if loses the will and the passion to ride well. Silence has treated him poorly, the least they could do is release him.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
mickkk said:
I have been told that he asked to be released a few days ago and was told "not on your ****ing life, unless you pay 5 million USD. Thats what SL reckons he is worth in advertising.

That would explain why he has disappeared out of the peleton where he is normally highly visible.;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
LeTour.fr spoke to Hendrik Redant this morning about the Silence-Lotto team’s captain, Cadel Evans. The directeur sportif cannot explain the slump suffered by the rider who finished second in the 2007 and 2008 Tours. "I wish I knew what happened, but I can’t explain it," said Redant about Evans who finished stage 17 in 81st place, 29’43" behind Frank Schleck. "He was content at the start of the Tour and had great condition but yesterday he was in all sorts of trouble. It was upsetting to see... but these things can happen to a rider in the Tour de France.
"I hope that we can see him come back for today’s stage or maybe even on the Ventoux... or at least help Jurgen van den Broeck on the last Saturday.
"The season is not over yet and I think that Cadel can come back and do a good Vuelta [a Espana, in September] and the world championship course really suits his strengths. We’ll talk tonight to discuss the rest of the season.

This just appeared on the ticker of le tour....

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
From twitter - Cadel on todays ITT - off for another training ride. Gotta agree msjett there are many ways to skin a snake;) Any can only image he enjoyed chatting with the other aussies yesterday. Must have been some intersting chats in that group:D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
TibetT said:
From twitter - Cadel on todays ITT - off for another training ride. Gotta agree msjett there are many ways to skin a snake;) Any can only image he enjoyed chatting with the other aussies yesterday. Must have been some intersting chats in that group:D

I am sure....on both counts.:)

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
What I would pay to have been a fly in that group...

I can't see the logic in Lotto forcing Evans to stay - I mean what a mess that will be

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
TibetT said:
What I would pay to have been a fly in that group...

I can't see the logic in Lotto forcing Evans to stay - I mean what a mess that will be

I think they realise, that they won't get anyone of his level or higher to ride for them.Think about what it say's to other riders if Cadel leaves..considering Robbie has gone already. And think about the victories that Robbie got for them.

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Agree with you.. but what is the poing in making hm stay .. he will not produce. The final nail for Lotto was Robbie leaving. Iv'e seen reports that one of the factors in evans staying was loyalty.. can only image how betrayed he must feel. Wish there was an auusie team with the money to buy out his contract. Not a good year for the aussies really

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Some good news for Cadel - he was fastest up today's cat 3 climb. Maybe he was "training" for Saturday's stage? A win on Ventoux would be a nice consolation prize...

EVANS Cadel 0:08:21
CONTADOR Alberto 0:08:25
FEDRIGO Pierrick 0:08:43
KLÖDEN Andréas 0:08:43
SCHLECK Andy 0:08:43

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Cadel is not sick or physically limited at the moment. He was going to and fro from the team car yesterday not getting dropped, he was talking to them working out what were the plans for him for the stage and the rest of the race.
He is going to finish in Paris; what will happen between now and then, is Cadel's decision.;)

He is not sick or physically limited??? Are you saying that he lost time on purpose to get back at his team by going slow and finishing 30+min back of the leaders???

I'd rather have a sick or injured athlete then one that sand-bags an quits races.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
mickkk said:
Cadel signing with SL was the worst mistake of a Cyclist ever. We will know what has been going on when he changes teams. If I was rich, Id buy out his contract.

Didn't his success start when he went to SL (DL/PL) from TMobile?? He was nothing back then and now he was 2nd in the TdF for 2 yrs in a row. They gave him the opportunity to race the TdF that he didn't have with Mapei or TMobile. Sounds like a good move for him and he just didn't have the stuff to win the tour (or the riders he was against were just too good)

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
bikeGURU said:
He is not sick or physically limited??? Are you saying that he lost time on purpose to get back at his team by going slow and finishing 30+min back of the leaders???

I'd rather have a sick or injured athlete then one that sand-bags an quits races.
A normal team is built like this.
Sponsor pay x amount of dollars and says he wants the team to do well in these particular races as these are primary advertising areas for the sponsor.

It is up to the management, DS's and riders to schedule, train and race to get results at those races. Some riders are signed with clauses regarding which races they are guaranteed to do and what role they will play in those races. Each year the riders season is built around these races from the time the last race of the previous season ends. Sometimes this is thrown out of whack due to injuries or form issues, but keeping to this schedule is an essential requirement to get the desired results.

Omega-Pharma(Silence) are not your regular sponsors they want to be management and DS as well, if they could put on a jersey they would do that too. After having a very lean spring where the local boys( luck being not on their side more than once). The sponsors decided they wanted some riders to do more races. Not do this race instead of that race but do this race as well as all the other races you been had previously scheduled to do. Now at the TdF their meddling has just gotten worse.

You have no idea what s!*t from them and never will because Cadel is too much of a gentleman to say anything and that is his problem sometimes. He has never bagged his teammates and never will as they are doing the best they can and just obeying the DS orders.

If Cadel was going to quit it was going to be on that first climb but he decided he wasn't a quitter and needed some time away from the race stress that is why he was in the grupetto. He can't phone in and say i'm a bit off today I will catch you in Annecy. That isn't "sand bagging" and he doesn't quit races.

He showed in the ITT that he means business over the next couple of days, if the rain hadn't started in his last 5 km's he would have been in the top ten. I think he had the second fastest time from checkpoint one to the finish.

What happens in these next to stages i can assure you will not see him riding in the grupetto.;)

TRENDING THREADS