Cafe Section?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
we have a brew pub here in tustin that has a couple of very nice offerings.
the Redhill Red and Blimp Hanger Porter being my favs. my buddies are
partial to the IPA's they do. and a darn fine burger as well. it's 103.5 here today
and i think it may be beer 30 quite soon.:cool:
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
0
0
Cafe section is a great idea. This might as well be it.

I'll show up, and I'll bring a pig full of Crannog's Back Hand of God with me. Christmas to me will always include snowflakes, and Christmas music begins and ends with Boney M.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
pedaling squares said:
Cafe section is a great idea. This might as well be it.

I'll show up, and I'll bring a pig full of Crannog's Back Hand of God with me. Christmas to me will always include snowflakes, and Christmas music begins and ends with Boney M.
Me like the pig too
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Belgian Beer anyone?

I am totally hooked, in fact I can't get most of what I like and have to drive to Los Angeles to get it.

Tripel Karmeliet, Buffalo Stout, I even have some Wesvleteren 8 and 12. Of course I don't drink that... I just drool looking at the bottles.
 
Jun 16, 2009
759
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
Belgian Beer anyone?

I am totally hooked, in fact I can't get most of what I like and have to drive to Los Angeles to get it.

Tripel Karmeliet, Buffalo Stout, I even have some Wesvleteren 8 and 12. Of course I don't drink that... I just drool looking at the bottles.
One of my local cafes carries Orval, amazing drop. Hopefully this year they'll pick up some more trappist goodies.
 
Mar 18, 2009
2,442
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
Belgian Beer anyone?

I am totally hooked, in fact I can't get most of what I like and have to drive to Los Angeles to get it.

Tripel Karmeliet, Buffalo Stout, I even have some Wesvleteren 8 and 12. Of course I don't drink that... I just drool looking at the bottles.
I was in Belgium for a week this year and loved their beers. Kept on coming back for the blonde Leffe. Check out this site: http://www.belgian-beer.net/.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
badboyberty said:
One of my local cafes carries Orval, amazing drop. Hopefully this year they'll pick up some more trappist goodies.
My wife and I stayed in the Ardennes after the classics this year and did a tour of the Orval monastery. There are some cool ruins there. The beer is fantastic but the Orval beer cheese is unbelieveable.

We rented a 250 year old farm house in a little Belgian village called Eprave. Great place as it was only 6km from Rochefort... which is another fantastic trappist beer (I like the 6 & 8, but love the 10).

Yeah... something to be said for great cycling, friendly people, great bike races, wonderful food and 10% alcohol by volume trappist beer.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
Belgian Beer anyone?

I am totally hooked, in fact I can't get most of what I like and have to drive to Los Angeles to get it.

Tripel Karmeliet, Buffalo Stout, I even have some Wesvleteren 8 and 12. Of course I don't drink that... I just drool looking at the bottles.
If you are in SoCal you might have a http://www.bevmo.com near you.

If you are ever in Claremount

http://www.thebackabbey.com/
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Race Radio said:
If you are in SoCal you might have a http://www.bevmo.com near you.

If you are ever in Claremount

http://www.thebackabbey.com/
Ha! The Backabbey is my favorite bar. My wife read something in the local paper last year about their "grand opening". We went on their first night and had a blast. We are there a couple times a month. It's about 30 miles from where I live but it's really a fun place. My wife and I were in a bar in Brugge and ran in to an American that lives in Washington State but has regular business in Ontario, CA. He asked us if we had ever heard of the Backabbey as it was his favorite as well. Small world.

We've got the local BevMo on their toes. The Belgian beer section is pretty well stocked nowadays. They still can't seem to get Buffalo or Tripel Karmeliet however... We buy St. Bernardus Apt 12 by the case there so all is not lost.:D
 
Scott SoCal said:
Ha! The Backabbey is my favorite bar. My wife read something in the local paper last year about their "grand opening". We went on their first night and had a blast. We are there a couple times a month. It's about 30 miles from where I live but it's really a fun place. My wife and I were in a bar in Brugge and ran in to an American that lives in Washington State but has regular business in Ontario, CA. He asked us if we had ever heard of the Backabbey as it was his favorite as well. Small world.

We've got the local BevMo on their toes. The Belgian beer section is pretty well stocked nowadays. They still can't seem to get Buffalo or Tripel Karmeliet however... We buy St. Bernardus Apt 12 by the case there so all is not lost.:D
Hmm, according to mapquest it's only about 35 mi. from me. I'll have to give that place a try.:)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hugh Januss said:
Hmm, according to mapquest it's only about 35 mi. from me. I'll have to give that place a try.:)

I highly recommend it. Belgian Frites, Mussels and the best burger ever (Backabbey burger, of course).

Most of the beer is Belgian, some German. They pour it right... correct glassware and everything. It's a small place and gets packed but very worth the trip. Enjoy.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
Scott SoCal said:
I highly recommend it. Belgian Frites, Mussels and the best burger ever (Backabbey burger, of course).

Most of the beer is Belgian, some German. They pour it right... correct glassware and everything. It's a small place and gets packed but very worth the trip. Enjoy.
It is an amazing place.

The burgers are the best. They have their own meat mix of short ribs, chuck, and rib eye. The frys are cooked in duck fat, as they should be.

One of my best friends lives in San Dimas. Occasionally I schedule some "Meetings" in LA, which means 5 hours riding in the hills and most of the night at the Backabby.....lucky for us his wife drives us home.

My only complaint is they need to get a new mussel vendor as they ones they serve are not that great. They need some Glen Cove's.

The place is heaven.
 
Jul 7, 2009
583
0
0
The Fosters lager they sell here in the U.S. is brewed in Canada. My niece married an Aussie, and he said no one he knows in Australia drinks the stuff. I believe he referred to it as kangaroo p***. He said he drinks VB.
 
Mar 18, 2009
2,442
0
0
knewcleardaze said:
The Fosters lager they sell here in the U.S. is brewed in Canada. My niece married an Aussie, and he said no one he knows in Australia drinks the stuff. I believe he referred to it as kangaroo p***. He said he drinks VB.
He is correct - we do not drink Fosters. I haven't heard of it being called roo **** though. I like that. A number of international beers are brewed in Canada, and I imagine elsewhere. Sleemans in Guelph, Ontario, also brew the Japanese beer Sapporo. It is probably cheaper to brew it overseas for the local market (ie Canada for the North American market) than shipping it from Australia.
 
Jun 16, 2009
759
0
0
knewcleardaze said:
The Fosters lager they sell here in the U.S. is brewed in Canada. My niece married an Aussie, and he said no one he knows in Australia drinks the stuff. I believe he referred to it as kangaroo p***. He said he drinks VB.
Foster's is only sold to foreigners, I don't even know anywhere in Australia that actually serves the stuff. All east coast mass market breweries in Australia make the same watery urine-in-a-can as each other that isn't that much better than what they call beer in the US.

Coopers is the best easy to get beer in Australia but James Squire (NSW), Mountain Goat (VIC, good supporters of XC) and Matilda Bay (WA) produce truly drinkable wares. And at a smaller level locally we've got competition between two SA wine regions with Knappsteins (Claire Valley) and Vale Ale (McLaren Vale) both producing some nice bottles of beer.
 
May 6, 2009
8,524
0
0
elapid said:
Christmas - there are things I miss about Christmas. I moved from Australia to the US and now live in Canada. A white Christmas, especially for an Australian, is truly magical. Still is. The length of the winter in eastern Canada is a bit of a drag for those that enjoy cycling, but a white Christmas is still a lot of fun. However, I do miss the Australian Christmas wearing shorts and eating seafood and cold cuts in 30C sunny weather. The beach, the waves, a cold tinny or two. Mmmm.

In regards to my favourite Christmas music, I am actually partial to the Eurythmics's "Winter Wonderland" and a great CD called "Christmas with the Rat Pack" featuring Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr.
And the boxing Day Test on the next day. You call yourself Australian? BTW I live in Queensland and don't even touch XXXX. As for beer, I love the Belgian stuff. Czech beer (the real Budweiser) is also pretty good (I can't stand the American version). I stayed in a backpackers in Prague in 2007 and when I checked in they gave me a free beer. Believe me, I needed it. As for Dutch beer, I have had Amstel Gold (as a cycling fan, so I should) and IMO >> Heineken which is just dire. Another funny story is when I was in Paris in 2007, me and a friend were at a cafe having a few beers, and the waiter looked exactly like Cadel Evans. Put it this way, if Cadel had a identical twin brother (which he doesn't), then said waiter would be it.

If anybody ever goes to Japan, be where of some beer that is non alcoholic, but you mix vodka with it. Let's just the next day I was a little worse for wear. Otherwise there are plenty of incriminating photos of me on facebook, some of which I don't have.
 
Mar 18, 2009
2,442
0
0
craig1985 said:
And the boxing Day Test on the next day. You call yourself Australian?
I've been away too long! I love cricket and the Boxing Day Test was always a favourite. That's one of the biggest things I miss about home - sports. Ice hockey is good because it shares some similarities with sports from home, but I really do not have any affinity for American football, basketball or baseball because I didn't grow up with these sports. I miss cricket, Aussie Rules and rugby union, although I occasionally catch a bit of Aussie Rules on cable.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
0
0
elapid said:
I've been away too long! I love cricket and the Boxing Day Test was always a favourite. That's one of the biggest things I miss about home - sports. Ice hockey is good because it shares some similarities with sports from home, but I really do not have any affinity for American football, basketball or baseball because I didn't grow up with these sports. I miss cricket, Aussie Rules and rugby union, although I occasionally catch a bit of Aussie Rules on cable.
Welcome to Canada. Not sure where you are in the east, but hopefully you can ride some of the great roads on the Quebec peninsula. Alas, I fear you live in Toronto and have to put up with the Maple Leafs. BTW, you cannot call it ice hockey here, just hockey, for there is no other kind!

Now cricket, of course someone would have to explain the nuances to me, but you have to love those lads diving for that ball with bare hands. Great sport! Would love to catch a live match, looks like a great way to enjoy a few pints.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts