• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cafe Section?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Welcome to Canada. Not sure where you are in the east, but hopefully you can ride some of the great roads on the Quebec peninsula. Alas, I fear you live in Toronto and have to put up with the Maple Leafs. BTW, you cannot call it ice hockey here, just hockey, for there is no other kind!

Now cricket, of course someone would have to explain the nuances to me, but you have to love those lads diving for that ball with bare hands. Great sport! Would love to catch a live match, looks like a great way to enjoy a few pints.

I now live in Ottawa, but had enough of the Leafs after living in Guelph (near Toronto) for 3 years. Yeah, I called it ice hockey for the Aussies because for Aussies hockey = field hockey. But since being here I quickly learned to call ice hockey just hockey. I have seen a few junior games (and one preseason NHL game when I was visiting Chicago) and will hopefully be able to see the Senators one of these days. At least I may be able to afford and get a ticket. A friend visiting us a few years ago wanted to see a hockey game while in Toronto (so the Leafs) and called the local ticketing agency - the ticket agent said no problems, that will be $400 and the next available game for sale is in 6 years time. If forget the actual time frame, but it was multiple years. Unfortunately, the Leafs really do not look after their loyal fan base as most of them seem to have very little chance of seeing a game live, that just seems reserved for the suits with boxes and the rich and famous.

The cricket is a good way to enjoy a few (or more) pints. The shortest game is now at least 6 hours (20-20) and when I was growing up it was either 1 or 5 days. So plenty of time for a few beers with mates without missing too much of the play. If you do get to Australia and are in Melbourne around Christmas time, try to get to the Boxing Day test. The first day is usually awesome with 70,000+ people, the majority either hungover or still drinking from Christmas day. A great festive day.

A

Anonymous

elapid said:
I now live in Ottawa, but had enough of the Leafs after living in Guelph (near Toronto) for 3 years. Yeah, I called it ice hockey for the Aussies because for Aussies hockey = field hockey. But since being here I quickly learned to call ice hockey just hockey. I have seen a few junior games (and one preseason NHL game when I was visiting Chicago) and will hopefully be able to see the Senators one of these days. At least I may be able to afford and get a ticket. A friend visiting us a few years ago wanted to see a hockey game while in Toronto (so the Leafs) and called the local ticketing agency - the ticket agent said no problems, that will be $400 and the next available game for sale is in 6 years time. If forget the actual time frame, but it was multiple years. Unfortunately, the Leafs really do not look after their loyal fan base as most of them seem to have very little chance of seeing a game live, that just seems reserved for the suits with boxes and the rich and famous.

The cricket is a good way to enjoy a few (or more) pints. The shortest game is now at least 6 hours (20-20) and when I was growing up it was either 1 or 5 days. So plenty of time for a few beers with mates without missing too much of the play. If you do get to Australia and are in Melbourne around Christmas time, try to get to the Boxing Day test. The first day is usually awesome with 70,000+ people, the majority either hungover or still drinking from Christmas day. A great festive day.

Sounds like a great time.

Has anyone spectated at Paris Roubaix? We stumbled (literally) on to sector 5 and the party was out of control. We (wife and I) had so much fun it should be illegal. Been there for the last two editions. The Belgians are wild. Out of their minds....:D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Out of interest elapid, how long have you been living in North America for?

Since mid-2001. I lived in Fort Collins, Colorado for 2 years and Ontario (Guelph and Ottawa) for 6 years. I got back to Australia for 5 weeks earlier this year and loved it. A beer and a 4'n'20 pie at the footy, cycling around the Dandenongs and Whittlesea, and a week live aboard scuba trip on the outer Great Barrier Reef. I can't wait to get back again.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

Has anyone spectated at Paris Roubaix? We stumbled (literally) on to sector 5 and the party was out of control. We (wife and I) had so much fun it should be illegal. Been there for the last two editions. The Belgians are wild. Out of their minds....:D

I am giving some lectures at a conference in the UK from 8-11th April next year and it recently dawned on me ... Classics. Paris-Roubaix is my favourite race and I am hoping that it does not fall on the 11th - 4th or the 18th and I am there with hat on and beer in hand.

A

Anonymous

elapid said:
I am giving some lectures at a conference in the UK from 8-11th April next year and it recently dawned on me ... Classics. Paris-Roubaix is my favourite race and I am hoping that it does not fall on the 11th - 4th or the 18th and I am there with hat on and beer in hand.

Roubaix is the 2nd Sunday in April. I think it's the 11th (no calendar in front of me). Camphin en Pevel and Cafffour d'Larbre is essentially sector 5. It's not that far from Calais, France. You could probably take the Chunnel if you are in London.

The problem is once you go.... Well, it's just a lot of fun.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Roubaix is the 2nd Sunday in April. I think it's the 11th (no calendar in front of me). Camphin en Pevel and Cafffour d'Larbre is essentially sector 5. It's not that far from Calais, France. You could probably take the Chunnel if you are in London.

The problem is once you go.... Well, it's just a lot of fun.

You absolute beauty - just checked my schedule and I give my last lecture on the 10th, not the 11th. So I can check out the Tour of Flanders on the 4th and Paris-Roubaix on the 11th. Excellent! Now I am stoked!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

As one who has been dragged into drinking games with Belgians, I tend to agree :D Every Belgian I have met, treats me like I'm long lost brother or cousin to them. And funnily enough, I have never been there.

A

Anonymous

elapid said:
You absolute beauty - just checked my schedule and I give my last lecture on the 10th, not the 11th. So I can check out the Tour of Flanders on the 4th and Paris-Roubaix on the 11th. Excellent! Now I am stoked!

OK! Well, there is only one place to watch Flanders. Muur de Geraardsbergen/Grammont/Kappelmuur (same climb). Just awesome. Get there 3 or 4 hours before the race comes through. Stake out a spot near the top. There is plenty of beer at a cafe there. Really good times.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Also if you are up for it, there is the Cyclo Sportive where you can do the 75km or 140km loops. Or if you are sad enough, then there is the whole 260km. Put it ithis way, if I were going over to Belgium and Holland to see the Classics, I would be bringing my bike and doing as much of the Sportive's as I could.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:

I'm in the very early stages of negotiation with the wife to roll south in April to catch a few classics myself (I'm using the "it's my birthday" technique). If we happen to make some the same races we should should meet for a beer or three! :D

A

Anonymous

flyor64 said:
I'm in the very early stages of negotiation with the wife to roll south in April to catch a few classics myself (I'm using the "it's my birthday" technique). If we happen to make some the same races we should should meet for a beer or three! :D

im wondering what we can do..

half term> sat 13th feb to sun 21st feb (so nothing then)
easter> friday 2nd april to sunday 18th april (hmm..flanders or roubaix???)

hmm.. just had a google.. eurostar paris thursday, one night in paris, out to lille friday then head to gruson and find somewhere to camp.. do-able... (cannot find direct flights to lille :/)

No car :( if anyone from the uk fancies driving and carry two strays they are more than welcome.. we'll pay for ferry :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Also if you are up for it, there is the Cyclo Sportive where you can do the 75km or 140km loops. Or if you are sad enough, then there is the whole 260km. Put it ithis way, if I were going over to Belgium and Holland to see the Classics, I would be bringing my bike and doing as much of the Sportive's as I could.

I'd be interested in the 75 km Sportive. My only problem is that the snow is still usually on the ground in Ottawa in April, so the Sportive would probably be my first outside ride for the season. That would be one hard way to start the season, but you only live once. :)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
flyor64 said:

You're on - take the cafe out of the internet and into real life.

A

Anonymous

elapid said:

think we are up for this, considered gruson final sector.. closest to lille for the non driving fraternity.. first time in years the classics have fitted around the wifes school holidays..

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks folks. Aussie test cricket... one more thing to add to the must do list. And I've been debating applying for a job in the Netherlands... all that talk about Belgian beer and the Spring Classics has made up my mind. Better dust off the CV.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:

Well now I'm really motivated! In all my time in Europe (not that much really) I've not seen a road bike race live...it's pathetic really.

I will now start ramping up the hint dropping phase of the negotiation(s)...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Excellent - I am looking forward to Flanders/PR with the CN Forum Crew!

Is there a way to move a portion of this thread?

Short of that, recommend a Flanders/PR/Spring Classics Coordination thread in the newly minted Cafe Section...or something like that.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:

Don't forget to sign up as early as you can. I think AGR is almost always "sold out" way in advance. Check their websites and see if you can find information about the admission procedure.

Old info from last year (english) I think:
30E for any distance
5E deposit for a chip
enrollment was over within 14 days

RvV (English)

Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff

Steven Rooks Classic

LBL

TRENDING THREADS