• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Caisse sponsorship to end after 2010

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Since their biggest face is about to be suspended, Unzué's a bit screwed.

Especially since sponsors are unlikely to want to be associated with a team that has its biggest name about to be suspended and its second most marketable face named in an ongoing investigation

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Since their biggest face is about to be suspended, Unzué's a bit screwed.

Especially since sponsors are unlikely to want to be associated with a team that has its biggest name about to be suspended and its second most marketable face named in an ongoing investigation

who else has an invetigation

Hmmmm.... More than a little disappointing.

First Saxo now Caisse. It's a bit disheartening to see the sponsors of two of the most sucessful teams in the peleton (based on '09 results) pull out. Granted Riis has already secured a new sponsor, but seriously, if teams can get results like Saxo and Caisse and still get their money pulled, what is the world coming to. Granted we've also seen a slate of new big money teams come into the sport in the last couple of years (Cervelo, Sky, Shack, Katusha etc.) but you'd really like to see all the old sponsors happy and satisfied and keep their money in the sport.

Also, I doubt Alonso is going to go through with his plan, I think he'd have far more pressing matters on his plate, mainly how he's going to spend his 25m euros and I can think of a lot more entertaining things than setting up a cycling team.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Don't forget that there's still time to land a new sponsor.

I'm quite confident that Caisse d'Epargen and Saxo Bank will survive, although the names will change abviously

Ferminal said:
I agree it's doubtful he will get involved, unless he can get a strong sponsor to come in with him - wasn't he trying to get Santander?

That would be nice. He probably knows some of the marketing people at Banco Santander, since they sponsor quite a bit in F1, and seeing one of the biggest (and most sucessful) banks in the world get into cycling would be a major deal for cycling in general. But something tells me that Santander wouldn't be too interested. Santander's key areas for growth have been in the Americas (specifically Brazil) and investing in cycling doesn't really help them there. If they harbour some designs on moving into Northern Europe in a bigger way than they are already, getting a cycling team (with Alberto Contador on it) would be a good investment on their part.

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Operación Grial investigation: 4 of Doctor Virú's clients have been named so far. Maté, Kolobnev, Moreno and LL Sánchez

Mmm no, not really. They were named as clients of Dr. Losa, not Walter Virú, and that operation is pretty much over.

Back on topic, I don't see Alonso becoming involved in cycling soon, but this is surely the best chance for him. Unzué says he want a company which is strong in Spain, and which is also a multinational enterprise. Santander suits very well.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The current Caisse d'Epargne Team traces its roots all the way back to 1980:

1980–1989 Reynolds
1990–2000 Banesto
2001–2003 iBanesto.com
2004–2005 Illes Balears-Banesto
2005 Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne
2006 Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears
2007 Caisse d'Epargne

What is the common thread that tied all these teams together?
Same DS? Same team dopc? What is the scoop?

Polish said:
The current Caisse d'Epargne Team traces its roots all the way back to 1980:

1980–1989 Reynolds
1990–2000 Banesto
2001–2003 iBanesto.com
2004–2005 Illes Balears-Banesto
2005 Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne
2006 Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears
2007 Caisse d'Epargne

What is the common thread that tied all these teams together?
Same DS? Same team dopc? What is the scoop?

Abarca Sports, S.L. which is the team management company of Eusebio Unzue. Sponsors come and go but the team management continues.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Hmmmm.... More than a little disappointing.

First Saxo now Caisse. It's a bit disheartening to see the sponsors of two of the most sucessful teams in the peleton (based on '09 results) pull out. Granted Riis has already secured a new sponsor, but seriously, if teams can get results like Saxo and Caisse and still get their money pulled, what is the world coming to. Granted we've also seen a slate of new big money teams come into the sport in the last couple of years (Cervelo, Sky, Shack, Katusha etc.) but you'd really like to see all the old sponsors happy and satisfied and keep their money in the sport.

Also, I doubt Alonso is going to go through with his plan, I think he'd have far more pressing matters on his plate, mainly how he's going to spend his 25m euros and I can think of a lot more entertaining things than setting up a cycling team.

Really? Is it something yet to be announced, because I haven't heard anything.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone here follow sports outside of cycling?

Anyone know how Ferrari landed Alonso? Or why Alonso has floated the idea of a Pro Tour team? You really think his F1 salary and personal endorsements will cover an entire team? Who sponsors Caisse d'Epargne? What type of business is this?

The answer is very obvious. Caisse is sponsored by a French bank. Alonso's contract with Ferrari is partially paid for by a bank. Do you know which one? They will back his aspirations for a team, which is why he floated the idea in the first place. I'm more than willing to bet if Caisse changes ownership, the team will be sponsored by another bank and unless Astana move heaven and earth, they will get Contador and the Spanish will truly rule the world of cycling (with some French bankers helping of course). No Caisse rider will be suspended this year. Valverde is safe. They have nothing concrete, that is why delays keep occuring. As I said. All fairly obvious if you follow multiple sports and business sectors.

luckyboy said:
Surely they will find a big sponsor when Contador goes there next year (assuming he does).

I mean, if the sport's best athlete can't bring in a sponsor, then it's pretty ****ed.
If your company flies the flag of integrity and corporate governance and customer trust and whatnot, you'll think twice about sponsoring this team. That's just the way it is.

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
If your company flies the flag of integrity and corporate governance and customer trust and whatnot, you'll think twice about sponsoring this team. That's just the way it is.

Companies fly the flag of profit. That's it. So they'll find a sponsor, specially if Contador signs for them at the end of the season.

Ferminal said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/caisse-depargne-to-end-cycling-sponsorship

Surely this sets it up perfectly for Alonso to make his move into the sport?

Considering Alonso will start 2010 with Ferrari it is highly unlikely that he will make his move into cycling until ater a few years with his new team, now that he has a car that can win. He loves cycling and really wants to get involved and probably doesn´t want to miss the chance of working with Contador, but he wants the number one spot in F1 for himself and with Ferrari has the opportunity.

I think it would be great for cycling to have him involved in some way.

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Being associated with one doping case after another doesn't boost your profits. Esp. if you're a bank.

It doesn't decrease your profits either. If it was that way, no company would sponsor a cycling team other than Amore&Vita, or maybe some french teams. Anyway, Caisse D'Epargne isn't seen as a "dirty" team, in the most cycling fans' eyes, and that's what matters.

Galic Ho said:
Does anyone here follow sports outside of cycling?

Anyone know how Ferrari landed Alonso? Or why Alonso has floated the idea of a Pro Tour team? You really think his F1 salary and personal endorsements will cover an entire team? Who sponsors Caisse d'Epargne? What type of business is this?

The answer is very obvious. Caisse is sponsored by a French bank. Alonso's contract with Ferrari is partially paid for by a bank. Do you know which one? They will back his aspirations for a team, which is why he floated the idea in the first place. I'm more than willing to bet if Caisse changes ownership, the team will be sponsored by another bank and unless Astana move heaven and earth, they will get Contador and the Spanish will truly rule the world of cycling (with some French bankers helping of course). No Caisse rider will be suspended this year. Valverde is safe. They have nothing concrete, that is why delays keep occuring. As I said. All fairly obvious if you follow multiple sports and business sectors.

But we knew that he was going to Ferrari for 2 years didn't we?

I think when this topic came about in July? There was a bit of criticism that Fernando shouldn't be getting involved (or maybe it's just that he shouldn't have announced his interest - a bit of an uncertain promise).

How things change when a couple of key sponsors drop out?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
If a sponsor to replace Caisse D'Epargne cannot be found, and the team dissolves - do you think Valverde will have a problem getting picked up by another team for as lucrative a contract as he has now?

He may be viewed as "damaged goods"?

Pressure on him and other team mates to perform well this year?

Remember when Gerolsteiner gave a years notice of their withdrawal from the sport, and the eruption of "clinic related activities" that ensued on that team as riders prepared for their job searches? Yikes.

TRENDING THREADS