• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

California Teams Announced.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
cyclingnutz said:
I don't agree with everything the organizers do in regards to course and team selection. However, you do have to understand that racing in the US is not at the same level of acceptance that you have in Europe. Americans freak out if they can't get to McDonalds or Starbucks in 15 minutes. That makes it hard to shut down roads for long periods of time.

The Pasadena to Big Bear stage should be hard by US standards. There are some harder climbs in the area that would be more difficult to use in a big race. The last stage will be hard and you will see many riders drop out. The Rock Store climb should lead to some aggressive riding.

Also the marginal nature of the sport makes it difficult to sort the logistics of MTFs, meaning the races often begin and end in big cities, but that also means that it's likely to end in sprints more often than not, which makes the race predictable, and not very difficult, which in turn makes it less interesting for teams to race. Last but not least, it's up against the Giro.

It doesn't matter if the stage is hard 'by US standards' if the race isn't going to be accessible to the US domestic scene anymore as of next year. If it's not very hard by European pro péloton standards then it's not going to seem like a particularly prestigious race. And with the Giro on at the same time, it's bound to suffer.

I agree with the post that said that if this race is going to be a success, then European fans need to be on board. But the problem is, a lot of the bluster and hype that has been used to sell the race to a domestic audience (and probably had to be used) is having quite a negative effect on the European audience from my experience. Talks of it being a Grand Tour and of the top stars being there have met with hoots of amusement and howls of derision. It gives the impression of that loud, boisterous American stereotype that we have, of the 'hey, us too, and us more importantly!' character. I'm sure it's not intended like that, in fact I know it's not intended like that. They have a race in a real make or break situation and they have to do the hard sell. But they're trying to sell us something they aren't giving us. They talked of it being a TdF warmup race, then promptly delivered a parcours that favours the ITT. Last but not least, while Armstrong will guarantee an audience (he's still pretty popular in Europe, as you'll have noticed from the cheer at Vlaanderen and so on), the time zone makes it at least partially inaccessible. While many fans might stay up into the middle of the night to watch all of the TdF contenders going at it, they're not so likely to be on board with the idea of a thimbleful of contenders, a dominant Radioshack lineup and a host of US domestic pros that we know nothing of.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
QuickStep is sending teams to Giro, Cali and Tour of Belgium - though they admit they're really stretching their resources by doing so. Boonen will ride Cali since it'll be one of his first races back in the second chapter of the season, and QST consider Cali to be the most relaxing of the three (in ToB everyone expects a stage win or two, in Cali he can just ride anonymously in the bunch and get some training miles in).

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
no astana :confused:

ahh, i get it: not even a possibility that contador can 'suddenly' change his racing schedule :p;)

wouldn't that be lovely !

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
cyclingnutz said:
I don't agree with everything the organizers do in regards to course and team selection. However, you do have to understand that racing in the US is not at the same level of acceptance that you have in Europe. Americans freak out if they can't get to McDonalds or Starbucks in 15 minutes. That makes it hard to shut down roads for long periods of time.

The Pasadena to Big Bear stage should be hard by US standards. There are some harder climbs in the area that would be more difficult to use in a big race. The last stage will be hard and you will see many riders drop out. The Rock Store climb should lead to some aggressive riding.

Americans? Change that to Californians and I'll agree. :)

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Bahati feels the curse of Landis

Its a shame that Bahati Foundation was excluded from the tour of California even though there is room for more teams. His organization is trying to inspire kids and open doors for youth with limited opportunities. Not to mention they have some very capable riders. I am sure that the french doping authorities and UCI would be embarrased to see Floyd on their T. V. screens with his outstanding warrant in France. I am glad that Floyd stood up to WADA . They found him guilty even though they throughout all their own protocols to do it.
Rahsaan should have learned from Michael Ball and rock Racings Mistakes. The UCI does not forgive ex-dopers.

steelguitar said:
Rahsaan should have learned from Michael Ball and rock Racings Mistakes. The UCI does not forgive ex-dopers.

Ball's problems had nothing to do with FLandis. Ball tried to cast blame on FLandis when his team did not get a Pro Continental license. The truth is that Ball is a douche who could not meet his financial promises. There is a long line of riders and staff who were financially screwed by Ball. The licensing process was designed to prevent teams like Balls from getting licensed because there is a long history of teams that collapsed mid-season, leaving the riders in a quandry. Including Rock, FLandis himself has been involved with two such teams now--maybe three if he was also involved with Noble House.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Even if the Pasadena to Big Bear stage is supposed to be hard it'll probably have to be re-routed or cancelled. The road out of Pasadena is still closed even though they were supposed to have it open by late March. It'd be a bit harder if they re-routed it up highway 39, but that hasn't been open all the way to the top for 20 years I think. It's rideable, but not passable for a race caravan, AFAIK.

Really I'm just bitter because I can't ride up there. :(

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...hway-to-remain-closed-through-late-march.html

This highway information is the latest reported as of Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 11:44 .

SR 2
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM 2 MI EAST OF THE EAST JCT OF I 210 TO 14 MI EAST OF
LA CANADA (LOS ANGELES CO) - DUE TO STORM DAMAGE REPAIR - MOTORISTS ARE
ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

IS CLOSED FROM ISLIP SADDLE TO 5 MI WEST OF BIG PINES (LOS ANGELES CO)
- FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
steelguitar said:

please, Ball was welcomed with open arms last year with his stable of ex-dopers.

The UCI doesn't not forgive bad publicity and being made a laughing stock it has nothing to do with doping itself. Basso is a prime example of that, he's welcomed back because he was a good boy and didn't raise a stink.

Now as far as Bahati, he's got major balls to call his team squeaky clean with Landis and O'Neill on board.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
he needs public support more than balls; (LA- ha)- I wouldn't buy this inner-city youth platform if he was trying to sell it here, and signing on the tdf champ who was stripped of the title for doping is hardly a message that would appeal to parents of at-risk youth. shot himself in the foot if you ask me

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
biokemguy said:
Even if the Pasadena to Big Bear stage is supposed to be hard it'll probably have to be re-routed or cancelled. The road out of Pasadena is still closed even though they were supposed to have it open by late March. It'd be a bit harder if they re-routed it up highway 39, but that hasn't been open all the way to the top for 20 years I think. It's rideable, but not passable for a race caravan, AFAIK.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...hway-to-remain-closed-through-late-march.html

Looks like they are going to radically reconfigure the stage - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/amgen-tour-of-california-stage-6-re-routed

biokemguy said:

That's a HUGE section of Angeles Crest closed...all the way to Islip Saddle apparently.

Maybe you forego the 2 altogether and maybe do a run up 39 to East Fork, up the back side of GMR to Glendora Ridge Road, over to Baldy Village, then back down the hill.

Zig-zag your way through Upland and Rancho Kook then up Cajon Blvd. to the 138 and you're back on track.

The traverse though the populated parts would be a real headache, but with the 2 closed, there's not much else you can do in the San Gabriels...

Saw this today on the Podium:
Stage 6 of the 2010 TOC Will No longer start in Pasadena or use the Angeles Crest Highway to get to the "mountain top finish" in Big Bear. They are actively looking for Some Other Place to start the stage, But Has not announced as one of yet.

Storm damage apparently. Be a disaster if BB gets pulled altogether.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Saw this today on the Podium:
Stage 6 of the 2010 TOC Will No longer start in Pasadena or use the Angeles Crest Highway to get to the "mountain top finish" in Big Bear. They are actively looking for Some Other Place to start the stage, But Has not announced as one of yet.

Storm damage apparently. Be a disaster if BB gets pulled altogether.

What does it mean to the length of the climb itself. What is the adjustment of the profile then?