• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Calling all Tar Heels

As promised, here is the North Carolina thread.

For those of you who don't know, I am an American who married a German man and moved to Germany in 1991. My back ground was doing press work/public relations for a US government agency.

My father's mother's family was from Beaufort County, North Carolina, and my grandparents retired there. We spent many family vacations there while I was growing up.

When my father retired, he and my mom moved to the Edenton, NC, area. After my father's death four years ago, my mom moved into Edenton. WE visit her as often as we can, which means that every US vacation involves NC.

And as to OBX: before I moved to Germany I had probably been to the BAnks nearly every year of my life. My husband and son have grown to love it as well, and we visit it nearly every vacation, even if it is just for a day trip.

This summer we have rented a house in South Nags Head for a week in August, after spending a week with mom.

That's my NC story in a nutshell! (A pecan, of course!)

Susan

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Just Kidding!

Susan, I'm guessing there are no good southern bbq places in Germany. Come on, you can tell us, is that the real reason you go back every year? Maybe you can convince TFF to move over and go partners on a place.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
I am actually not a North Carolinian. I was born in Washington, DC, and lived in Virginia until I moved to Germany.

And -- truth be told -- I can't stand barbecue.

Susan

Are you one of those Virginians who pronounces "house" as "hoose"? (As in, "I went oot and walked aboot the hoose.")

My family are from back in the NC mountains where you hear people pronounce the word "wash" as if there is an "r" in it.

No, although I knew some of that kind. I grew up in Fairfax County, just outside of DC.

My mom lives in northeastern NC, and I have trouble understanding a few of the natives.

Several years ago my family and I went to Boone, NC, for a few days, and while there, toured the LInville Caverns. With a native guide. Took me forever to figure out why he was talking about the "blonde trout" in the underground stream. Of course he was actually saying "blind".

AT one point during the Tour I turned to my German husband and kid, and asked if they could understand the guide. To my surprise, someeone else in the group answered, saying "No!"

Susan

TRENDING THREADS