• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can a clean rider beat dopers? - The poll

Do you think Bassons doped when he won a stage in the Dauphine in 1999?

• I don't have any idea, I have no hunches and no opinion. I am sitting on the fence.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Didn't Bassons say in his book that he was gifted the stage for political reasons? I don't have the book but someone who read it might clarify?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
aren't these two different questions?

1. I have no idea about Bassons
2. Yes, I think (in fact am sure) a clean rider can beat dopers

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I think it is possible to win one day races and stages clean.

And if the the sun, moon and stars align it may even be possible to win minor stage races especially if the route is suited to the (clean) riders best abilities..

But I don't think a clean rider has won a GT for decades, or that it is possible today...

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Netserk said:
What do you think?

Bassons. Clean as a whistle.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/1999/jun99/dauphine997.html

Christophe Bassons (La Fran?aise des Jeux) then attacked at the 28 kms mark and was allowed to go because he was of no threat to the GC. With about 30 kms left before 3 finishing laps he had a 5 minute lead.

He did not give up and he went on to win by 1.19. A very strong ride indeed. Bassons, who is also 25 years old, trains at Brides-les-Bains in the Alpes. It is a facility run by former biathlete Lionel Laurent, who won the bronze medal for teams at the 1994 Winter Games in Lillehammer. There are special facilities in the hotel which simulate high altitude and thus allow the rider to boost their hematocrit levels without EPO.

Both Vinokourov:eek::eek: and Bassons are part of a new generation of riders that provide a fresh image in the face of the doping scandals. Vinokourov said afterwards: "I was using this as preparation for the Tour. I am in good form but the Tour is over 3 weeks. My objective is to win a stage."

mrhender said:
I think it is possible to win one day races and stages clean.

And if the the sun, moon and stars align it may even be possible to win minor stage races especially if the route is suited to the (clean) riders best abilities..

But I don't think a clean rider has won a GT for decades, or that it is possible today...
+1.

There you go. Simply put.

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
According to Tailwindhome's hypothesis at least half the forum should vote "Yes, I think he was doping". Otherwise he is wrong.

The fact that you've had to go back 15 years in an effort to find a racer winner the forum could get behind as a clean winner supports my hypothesis more than the result of your poll could ever refute it.

This really didn't require a second thread.

TailWindHome said:
The fact that you've had to go back 15 years in an effort to find a racer winner the forum could get behind as a clean winner supports my hypothesis more than the result of your poll could ever refute it.

As you can see pretty much everyone thinks a clean rider can win over dopers. There is no shared clinic opinion that clean riders can't beat dopers.

That doesn't support your hypothesis. Sorry try again.

How about you voted in the poll?

Some of the beliebers may have to vote yes. Not because its suspicious that he beat dopers, but because its suspicious that he indirectly called out wiggins and froome in his book. Only jealous dopers that can't stand the fact that sky found a way to win clean would do that.

TailWindHome said:

He went back to a time when there was no EPO test and Armstrong won his first TDF. And still he found a rider winning clean the clinic could get behind.

Anyway if the only think you can think of is "it was too long ago", then perhaps we do Dan Martin Lombardia and if not everyone says that he doped, you take your trolling to some other forum.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
He went back to a time when there was no EPO test and Armstrong won his first TDF. And still he found a rider winning clean the clinic could get behind.

Anyway if the only think you can think of is "it was too long ago", then perhaps we do Dan Martin Lombardia and if not everyone says that he doped, you take your trolling to some other forum.

tailwindhome believes Froome can beat Armstrong clean, so I'm not sure he has much credibility on this topic.

I think he should take his tailwind and go home to bikeretard where he belongs.

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
skippythepinhead said:
I choose "WTF"

Exactly.

No, I think he was clean.

That option to think he was clean infers,
to consider something likely or probable. To think gives reason or room for doubt. The option should be ; No, he was clean beyond all reasonable doubt.

TRENDING THREADS