• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can anyone help with my question?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
nelsonsmen71 said:
Hakkapelit said:
Riding in Suisse rather than France is a lot less pressure from french media and stuff than it would be in Dauphine.

Yes this is a very good point, made by others too. I didnt realise the TTT was back this year so yes its gonna be tough. I can see that winning this year is almost an impossible task but thats the beauty of sport and especially so with the TDF over the last few years. I truly think he will podium as I believe Nibali is weaker than people think and I think one of the top 3 favs in Froome,Contador and Quintana will drop away considerably when in the latter stages they realise the Tour has gone for them. It wouldnt surprise me its Contador either, as I believe the Giro is too hard to win it and the TDF in same year. So for me barring accidents the TDF this year is Froome or Quintana with Pinot an outside bet but good for 3rd. Watch the experts criticise that call , all we can do is watch this space!

You have the big four. Then comes Purito, then at a really short distance Pinot.

Don't forget it is only Suisse, in a weak field.
Pinot is a better climber than Purito. Better TTer as well, though Purito is more explosive and very good technically.

Netserk said:
Arredondo said:
nelsonsmen71 said:
Hakkapelit said:
Riding in Suisse rather than France is a lot less pressure from french media and stuff than it would be in Dauphine.

Yes this is a very good point, made by others too. I didnt realise the TTT was back this year so yes its gonna be tough. I can see that winning this year is almost an impossible task but thats the beauty of sport and especially so with the TDF over the last few years. I truly think he will podium as I believe Nibali is weaker than people think and I think one of the top 3 favs in Froome,Contador and Quintana will drop away considerably when in the latter stages they realise the Tour has gone for them. It wouldnt surprise me its Contador either, as I believe the Giro is too hard to win it and the TDF in same year. So for me barring accidents the TDF this year is Froome or Quintana with Pinot an outside bet but good for 3rd. Watch the experts criticise that call , all we can do is watch this space!

You have the big four. Then comes Purito, then at a really short distance Pinot.

Pinot is a better climber than Purito. Better TTer as well, though Purito is more explosive and very good technically.

Pinot is a very good climber, but he needs to show still he is better than Purito. Purito was last year Tour de france just training, but when in the past Pinot climb day by day better than Purito?

nelsonsmen71 said:
Hello, I would like to know, if Eddie Merckx is the only rider in history to have won the Tour Suisse and Tour France in the same year, why is Pinot riding to win the Tour Suisse???? I am a massive fan of his, my favourite rider to be honest and I really had hopes for him this year as Contador cannot win Giro and TDF, Nibali last year won a weak TDF and with Quintana and Froome looking good, this question perplexes me. Surely, firstly the Tour de Suisee wil lstill be in Pinots legs and secondly history is a remarkable marker and the fact only Mercx has done it says its not impossible but highly unlikely. Can anyone shine light on this?????
Plenty of people have gone from winning the Tour de Suisse to a good Tour result, or from a good but non-winning Tour de Suisse result to success at the Tour though.

Also, while Pinot might get himself a good GC place at the Tour, winning it is by no means a certainty or even a likelihood, and the Tour de Suisse GC would be his biggest stage racing success on his palmarès by far, so it certainly makes sense to try to win it - although at the moment he needs more time for that to be even a likelihood.

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Wow! Cheers guys and gals a fantastic little discussion thread and from people all round europe too makes it very balanced. We clearly all have our favourite riders who we have bias towards, we all have pretty much the same top 4 and we pretty much agree there is a wealth of not good but very good riders in the top 10 and probably the top 20. We also have different opinions on the riders form. I think im beginning to see Pinot chance of winning the TDF this year is highly unlikely but like I said before this is the beauty of sport, its fluid and unpredictable. The best can and do lose, the youth in people like Pinot and Quintana can improve significantly more than those in their 30's, the unknown can and do become known. For me I still think Contador will suffer, ( I know how many will disagree! ) Nibali is like last year training unassumingly in the shadows but I dont think he will ever win the TDF again, so its between Froome, Quintana and Pinot, I will go for all those for the podium places, Viva le Tour! Thanks TDF and cycling fans

Jspear said:
nelsonsmen71 said:
Thank you Holly, a true lady amongst some angry men you are. I think PInot has come along way in his young 24 years and can really see him surprising this year. Hopefully this thread will still be up come July 26th and me and you can say well Pinot has podium'd again, how do you like them apples critics?!!!! :)

Are you sure you got the genders of everyone responding to you right? ;)
Pinot is an excellent rider but he will have his hands full trying to podium. You already agreed that AC, Froome, and Quintana are stronger; the only one your missing is Nibali. What exactly makes you think he'll not be as strong as last year? Unfortunately you can't look at his results from this year and determine that he will do good or bad. But after last years build up, we can assume he knows what he is doing and will be in very good form come July. I personally don't think he'll win the Tour this year, but he is still stronger than Pinot and he still has a much greater chance of podiuming.

I dunno.. I could pass as a lady in the right light , some chiffon and a close shave :D
(it not like I haven't practised...but that's a different story)
Its a date re the gloating on the 26th July btw !!!

The thing about the Tour is that nothing is certain and I would lay odds now that not all the top 4 will finish ....I hope do all do but recent events would suggest otherwise...
Also a strong rider like Pinot is could come through onto the podium

Cycling is nothing if not unpredictable ...and of all the young guns Pinot for my money is the best
Hell there are people predicting Fuglsang and/or Majka will be on the podium.....Pinot for me is better than both these riders

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site

Ha ha!! I am a bit dyslexic and read your name as HollyDolly, so thought your name was Holly!
Yes see on the 26th for gloating!!!
Yeah there are some funny choices sometimes, like I said in my last post, we all have favourites which can be bias ( like me with Pinot ) and we all have opinions, though some are just far fetched like Fugslang etc
Pinot was still a white Jersey rider last year maybe even this year cos of his late in the year birthday? So for me these riders can and do progress at a greater rate than one in their late 20's or 30's. Slightly off topic I saw the womens AVIVA Tour yesterday and Armistead won the sprint and took yellow then crashed. Is that the first time anyone ( men or women ) have crossed the line to win the yellow jersey but never got to BOTH wear it the next day but also not to wear it on the podium as she was taken straight to hospital and therefore missed the presentation?

I dunno.. I could pass as a lady in the right light , some chiffon and a close shave :D
(it not like I haven't practised...but that's a different story)
Its a date re the gloating on the 26th July btw !!!

The thing about the Tour is that nothing is certain and I would lay odds now that not all the top 4 will finish ....I hope do all do but recent events would suggest otherwise...
Also a strong rider like Pinot is could come through onto the podium

Cycling is nothing if not unpredictable ...and of all the young guns Pinot for my money is the best
Hell there are people predicting Fuglsang and/or Majka will be on the podium.....Pinot for me is better than both these riders[/quote]

Taxus4a said:
Netserk said:
Arredondo said:
nelsonsmen71 said:
Hakkapelit said:

Pinot is a very good climber, but he needs to show still he is better than Purito. Purito was last year Tour de france just training, but when in the past Pinot climb day by day better than Purito?
The past year Pinot has been and is a better climber than Purito.

Netserk said:

Pinot is a better climber than Purito. Better TTer as well, though Purito is more explosive and very good technically.[/quote]

--------------------

Pinot is a very good climber, but he needs to show still he is better than Purito. Purito was last year Tour de france just training, but when in the past Pinot climb day by day better than Purito?[/quote]
The past year Pinot has been and is a better climber than Purito.[/quote]
Last year OPurito didnt palnes to ride le Tour, finally he crash in the Giro and went to the Tour just to train, taking easy, and to try to get an stage.. he coudnt get his best in the Tour as he couldnt get his best in la Vuelta, it was an strange year.. to say for that that Pinot is already a better climber than Purito...
Purito has droped the best Contador and the best Quintana, and no in explosive climbs, but in Alp D huez and in Bola del Mundo, Pinot for the momenmt couldn do that, althought he has and he had always a big talent for the climbs.

Re:

Netserk said:
You are talking about a different Purito, Taxus4a, back when he was at his best. He is too old now and has faded.

I dont have any evidence of that, he won Pais Vasco this year far from his best shape...
As I said last year was strage.. all the plans changed when he crashed in the Giro.

An previous year he was very strong, so...

Of course he is not old and he is not fading, I heard the same stupid thing in 2013 with Contador, or whatever with a no very good year that is more than 33... even Rogers was suposed to be fading when he was in SKY :rolleyes: ...later with Saxo he win in Zoncolan...and in 2013 he is stronger than contador in Dauphiné. (the problem with Alberto is that wanst any escuse for his no very good results, last year for Purito yes).

If he is fading we will see this year from now on, not becouse last year results... he need luck with crashes and things like that to show that,

If you do thing well and you have the will to keepn on cycling you could be at a very good level till 40, and dont fade till 37, so he has a good level cycling.

The perfomance made by Indurain yesterday in the QH with aroud 50 is not to say age is so important..,

TRENDING THREADS