• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Evans win this giro?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Can Evans win this giro?

• I dont care, I'm done with this giro.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Netserk said:
If no mountains are cancelled, he won't finish top-5.

I don't think Evans can win. But he is still a good shot at the podium which would be great for him and BMC. He passed 6 or 7 riders over the last sector today which suggests his form is good. One of those Evans passed was Possovivo who you confidently predicted would beat Evans in this TT the other day. As far as cancelled stages are concerned - this is not 2013. Evans clearly has better form than last year. That was obvious at Trentino.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Cookster15 said:
I don't think Evans can win. But he is still a good shot at the podium which would be great for him and BMC. He passed 6 or 7 riders over the last sector today which suggests his form is good. One of those Evans passed was Possovivo who you confidently predicted would beat Evans in this TT the other day. As far as cancelled stages are concerned - this is not 2013. Evans clearly has better form than last year. That was obvious at Trentino.

He mentioned yesterday crash has some impact on today's result:eek:

auscyclefan94 said:
Don't write Evans off yet, Uran was just superb today. It is up to him to defend the jersey for 9 days now...good luck

do you honestly believe Evans will out climb and drop Uran in the Dolomites?

After Uran walloped him up the small climbs in yesterday's ITT, do you think Uran will lose out to Evans in the MTT?
Cast your mind back to last year's MTT and it's result - but don't forget that Uran's been training for this too (before you use the "Evans lack of prep" for 2013)

Uran has Evans measure for sure

Archibald said:

After Uran walloped him up the small climbs in yesterday's ITT, do you think Uran will lose out to Evans in the MTT?
Cast your mind back to last year's MTT and it's result - but don't forget that Uran's been training for this too (before you use the "Evans lack of prep" for 2013)

still. would be great to see a comeback. even if it's just seconds here and there.
quintana can still shake things up, and so can pozzovivo.

I'd like to see this race really open up and see people attacking each other, and evans riding at a steady pace to catch it up. should be good to see.

observer said:
still. would be great to see a comeback. even if it's just seconds here and there.
quintana can still shake things up, and so can pozzovivo.

I'd like to see this race really open up and see people attacking each other, and evans riding at a steady pace to catch it up. should be good to see.

would love to see him do it, but just not expecting it to happen...

would like to have seen him add the Giro to his palmares - that he has less GT wins than menchov seems somewhat skewed

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
would love to see him do it, but just not expecting it to happen...

would like to have seen him add the Giro to his palmares - that he has less GT wins than menchov seems somewhat skewed

It does, but no one would claim Menchov the superior or more decorated rider. 2 Grand Tours v Le Tour and World Champs.

I agree though, I can't see Cadel putting in any decent time against Uran, who might really be announcing himself to the world right now as a contender for Froome, Nibali & Contador very soon.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:

No I don't believe he will, but I don't believe that cycling or sport in general is so black and white like you and others want to paint it.

I don't really understand your point with your last line because it makes no sense. Back to the drawing board please!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
At the moment anything is possible, I am happy for it to play out on the road. And the most consistent rider will win. I thought Cadel was overly cautious in the TT and far too slow actually to be honest frustratingly slow and then couldn't pull it back enough to get out of trouble or make a gain in time that he really needed to do. But on the plus side for Cadel he has got rid of the jersey, not the way he would have wanted...but that is less stress, doesn't have to do the whole after stage press call everyday and his team don't have to control the race, there is a small benefit in that for him. Will he win, as much as I want him to, I really don't know. The mountains are going to be killer and who knows who is going to show their cards then?? At the moment that's all Rigoberto Uran's problem, isn't it?

IndianCyclist said:
Yes but he should be higher. His performances have been very inconsistent. He beat Pozzo in Trentino, so he should have been able to beat him here.

Week long stage races are very different from 3 week tours. Winning there doesn't automatically mean he will win here. Also there are some extremely hard mountains here that they did not climb in Trentino. Naturally Pozzo will do better than Cadel on these terrains. I don't think you can compare these two races and their performances.

TRENDING THREADS