• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Frank Schleck and Denis Menchov win the vuelta?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Menchov has now hurt his knee and dropped over 3 minutes behind Anton. Schleck won't win because he is not a Grand Tour winner. He has never convinced me that he would ever win one because of his mediocre time trialling and his lack of consistency in the mountains. I expect the current top three to fight it out. Menchov was my pick to win the race so I won't give up on him totally just yet.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
well Menchov has always stated that (in his opinion) Andorra will be the real test and admits that unless he achieves something there (& it will need to be special) then his tour chances are over.

Personally I like Menchov but I think it may already be too late for him.

“If I can do something it will be on the Andorran peak. I want to be as strong as possible. If it doesn’t happen I will have lost the tour, but it won’t be a disaster,”

Velonews

...and he failed the test!

Might give Contador second thoughts about going for both the TdF and the Vuelta next year, since this is basically what Menchov did this year, although the Vuelta may have been an after thought, still he didn't race anywhere else.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
webvan said:
...and he failed the test!

Might give Contador second thoughts about going for both the TdF and the Vuelta next year, since this is basically what Menchov did this year, although the Vuelta may have been an after thought, still he didn't race anywhere else.

That's assuming Menchov is somewhere close to Contador. He isn't.

El Pistolero said:
That's assuming Menchov is somewhere close to Contador. He isn't.
Last time they battled it out that was 2'01" close over 3642km, that's pretty close, and Menchov was in a better shape at the end too (Contador said he was drained), my guess is that if the 2011 TdF is as difficult as this one for Contador (i.e. strong opposition) he'll bail out of the 2011 Vuelta again, see you next year!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
webvan said:
Last time they battled it out that was 2'01" close over 3642km, that's pretty close, and Menchov was in a better shape at the end too (Contador said he was drained), my guess is that if the 2011 TdF is as difficult as this one for Contador (i.e. strong opposition) he'll bail out of the 2011 Vuelta again, see you next year!

I always have to laugh when people use the time difference. Menchov was only stronger in the time trial. Once the big boys(AS and AC) started to really race no one could follow. Menchov was never a danger in this year's Tour.

Menchov will never win the Tour except if AS and AC get sick or crash out. He will never come close either.

Of course Contador was drained. Unlike Menchov he followed Schleck's attacks.

You "have to laugh" ? Duh...I have to laugh at your UserID that obviously clouds your judgement..Anyway don't change topics, anyone with a brain knows that Menchov and Contador are "close", like 0.5% close, or less, so Contador is certainly looking at Menchov's performance in the Vuelta this year and scratching his head for next year. Again, unless he has an easy TdF I'm guessing he won't take part in the Vuelta...if he sticks to his word, i.e. entering a race only if he can win it.

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
webvan said:
You "have to laugh" ? Duh...I have to laugh at your UserID that obviously clouds your judgement..Anyway don't change topics, anyone with a brain knows that Menchov and Contador are "close", like 0.5% close, or less, so Contador is certainly looking at Menchov's performance in the Vuelta this year and scratching his head for next year. Again, unless he has an easy TdF I'm guessing he won't take part in the Vuelta...if he sticks to his word, i.e. entering a race only if he can win it.
Or maybe he'll prefer to look at Sastre's performances in both Tour and Vuelta from 2006, 2007 and 2008, he doesn't strike me as the pessimistic type. Seriously though, would be pretty amateurish to get scared of doing the double, because someone else failed. If he knew that Menchov was superbly prepared for both and all the factors played in his favour, and that he's likely to perform similarly to Denis throughout the season, then he'd have something to worry about- but he can't know all of that.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
webvan said:

Something else must be clouding your judgement and it starts with an s.

Menchov didn't prepare him self to ride the Vuelta. What did he do between the Tour and Vuelta? Nada.

Contador shouldn't be looking at Menchov at all. And no, he isn't close. Anyone with a brain knows that. You were watching different Tours then me if you really think Menchov was close in 2009 and 2010.

Unlike a lot of other cyclists Contador only starts a race with the desire of winning it. Or at the very least try and do something instead of hiding at the peloton all day long.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
VeloNation: Sunday, September 12, 2010

'Schleck optimistic of Vuelta a España win'

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5638/Schleck-optimistic-of-Vuelta-a-Espana-win.aspx

Vuelta GC today:

1 NIBALI, Vincenzo LIQ 65h 31' 14''
2 RODRIGUEZ, Joaquin KAT + 4''
3 MOSQUERA, Ezequiel XAC + 39''
4 VELITS, Peter THR + 2' 29''
5 TONDO, Xavier CTT + 2' 30''
6 ROCHE, Nicholas ALM + 2' 47''
7 SCHLECK, Frank SAX + 2' 48''
8 DANIELSON, Thomas GRM + 3' 48''
9 SASTRE, Carlos CTT + 4' 29''

Am I dreaming or is this Frank guy gone nuts ?

both drinkers now
scleckie.jpg

or wants to be like him
lg_cipollini_all_01.jpg

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
DAOTEC said:
'Schleck optimistic of Vuelta a España win'

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5638/Schleck-optimistic-of-Vuelta-a-Espana-win.aspx

Vuelta GC today:

1 NIBALI, Vincenzo LIQ 65h 31' 14''
2 RODRIGUEZ, Joaquin KAT + 4''
3 MOSQUERA, Ezequiel XAC + 39''
4 VELITS, Peter THR + 2' 29''
5 TONDO, Xavier CTT + 2' 30''
6 ROCHE, Nicholas ALM + 2' 47''
7 SCHLECK, Frank SAX + 2' 48''
8 DANIELSON, Thomas GRM + 3' 48''
9 SASTRE, Carlos CTT + 4' 29''

both drinkers now
scleckie.jpg

or wants to be like him
lg_cipollini_all_01.jpg

Was that last pic on Caesars birthday by any chance?

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Now in CyclingNews today, September 13, 10:13

@ The Hitch yeah I know was just making a point look to the report below, it's like watching a new version of South Park >>>

boonen%2520and%2520frank%2520schleck%2520shirtless%2520in%2520curacao.jpg

CN>Fränk Schleck: I've come to win the Vuelta

Fränk Schleck still believes he can win the Vuelta a Espana. The Saxo Bank rider used his ....

General after today stage 16:
1 RODRIGUEZ, Joaquin KAT 70h 24' 39''
2 NIBALI, Vincenzo LIQ + 33''
3 MOSQUERA, Ezequiel XAC + 53''

4 SCHLECK, Frank SAX + 2' 16''

5 ROCHE, Nicholas ALM + 3' 01''
6 VELITS, Peter THR + 4' 27''

Click: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/frank-schleck-ive-come-to-win-the-vuelta

TRENDING THREADS