• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Haussler win a GT?

There is no doubt this guy has been a revelation. He has had moments in the past but nothing like the consistent performances of the last few weeks. How far can this guy go? Is he a future contender for one of the big stage races? Or will he be the kind of rider that is better suited to the Classics? I guess the question for this year is how long can he sustain this level of form?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
After this spring you would think the classics are for him, as far as stage races not too sure about a GT, but some smaller races could suit, but definately the revelation of the season so far.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dude, he's a sprinter... don't you remember what happened to the last ex-sprinter to be proposed as a Tour Contender? (psst... Hincapie)

Lets just say he'll be favored to win some GT Sprint stages.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon, you should read up on your cycling history, ever heard of Jalbert or Kelly ? Both were great sprinters who went onto win grand tours.

Haussler is the business, he's done the work, lost a lot of weight and as he learns to believe in his own abilities he'll continue to win bigger & bigger races.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
fiftyfour eleven said:
ElChingon, you should read up on your cycling history, ever heard of Jalbert or Kelly ? Both were great sprinters who went onto win grand tours.

Haussler is the business, he's done the work, lost a lot of weight and as he learns to believe in his own abilities he'll continue to win bigger & bigger races.

Jalabert and Kelly were good time trialists. Haussler hasn't shown he can be good against the clock yet.

Apr 6, 2009
Visit site
If he aimed for it, I don't see any reason for why he shouldn't be able to be a GT rider. However it seems unlikely. Why should he waste three, four or five seasons to become a worldclass climber and/or TT'er, when he's doing so well in his current enviroment?

Of the unlikely to win a GT, I rate Cancellara higher to make the shift.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Those where other times. If you know what I mean.

Haussler is a sprinter who can go far in classics and win sprint stages in grand tours. He is by all means not a climber and never will be.

He could well be a kind of sprinter that can hold in the smaller climbs and win intermediate stages anyway, I would say...

Passion for it

No doubt that he has found the knack for knowing when to go and not being afraid of atacking. These are important if you want to win the GC but I need to agree with brun sweater, to make the change takes asome serious effort and if he has finally found the winning sombo to win in the Classics, or come close then I reckon not only will he stick to his guns but his team will want him to do the same.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Why is it everyone makes any kind of a breathrough, people automatically start talking about their GC potential? Fookin' idiotic.

Happened with Boonen, happened last year with Devolder, etc.

Hausler will NEVER contend for the GC in any grand tour. Period.

It would be freaken awesome seeing Haussler climbing... I dunno... Alpe d'Huez, Mortirolo or Navacerrada... with Sastre, Contador, Evans... No. Absolutely no. Haussler can win 5-days races without main mountains near the summit. But no more.

Ok - so I was being provocative and I have been put in my place. Haussler is a sprinter.

In my defence he has shown an ability to attack and get out in front...so he's not simply a sprinter in the purest sense. I don't think it is beyond his capability to make a good showing in a shorter stagre race - but not a GT. ;)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
Ok - so I was being provocative and I have been put in my place. Haussler is a sprinter.

In my defence he has shown an ability to attack and get out in front...so he's not simply a sprinter in the purest sense. I don't think it is beyond his capability to make a good showing in a shorter stagre race - but not a GT. ;)

If by shorter stage race, you mean the Tour of Qatar than I agree. If you mean anything with hills, then not so much.
;)

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Haussler

I had the privilege of growing up in a town only 100kms from Heinrich. This meant that every inter-club event had this little whippet absolutely flogging everyone else on restricted gears! He has an amazing ability to spin small gears and now he seems to be able to sprint as well. I don't know if he'll evolve into a full GC GT rider, but he's had the ability to ride since he first started about 18 years ago... He is not a flash in the pan rider from nowhere though, he's got the talent and has put in the hard work.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Haussler? win a GT? Never in a month of sundays.

hahahahahaha...

70726f647563742f5346414e2d3030302e6a70670032353000.png

and No... No way Haussler can win a GT

A

Anonymous

Nah, sometimes its interesting to look back on what we thought of riders this time last year or the year before and see if it held true.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
when an u23 rider many saw in him in germany an gt rider for the future, he has made a 180 degree turn but I can still see him wind up like a jalbert when he loses some weight

TRENDING THREADS