• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Levi Win the Tour de France

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
benpounder said:
Actually, I was thinking before the ToC, especially if you listen to the pre-race press conference, that Levi traded his support for Horners win for Horner's support in the upcoming TdF.

I don't think so. The way Horner appeared to be riding for Leipheimer on the stage that Horner ended up winning, it looked to me that Horner was simply stronger than Leipheimer. Additionally all 4 of Shacks "contenders": Horner, Leipheimer, Kloden and Brajkovic have made statements at various points of the season attesting to their Tour ambitions, with Horner stating, I believe after his ToC win, that the roads (mtf's) will decide who will be the team's leader.

icefire said:
I don't know. I was going to say I don't care. But given the reactions after his TdS win it would be priceless. Only a duel with Gesink and Evans would make that even better. :D

This would be priceless indeed. This forum would end up being locked down completely untill September ;)

p.s. A little suprised by the maker of this thread. Unless you did this for fun, because I doubt your serious. Or after reading ACFs comment... is there some bitterness? :confused:

I almost forgot. No. Leipheimer will never win the TdF. He should be happy with a top10.

Granville57 said:
Last night's broadcast was unbearable due to the Andy lovefest that was going on between Sherwen and Roll. It was so transparently biased. I actually stopped watching after 15 minutes. They must've mentioned "Andy" 40 times in that span.

It will be interesting to hear this evening's spin given the circumstances described above.

They will be absolutely breathless over Levi's victory.

I perfectly understand the hyping of American riders for the American audience (they gave some good attention to CVV and Tommy D. as well last night) but the fawning over Schleck was just too much.

All quite nauseating for me. Once it was immediately imminent that Cunego barely lost it (4 seconds?) I turned it off. He gave it a good try though. Of course I would've preferred him as the winner.

Additionally I felt bad for Mollema (his flat on the previous stage that dropped him from the podium) and not at all pleased with Leopard-Trek's consequent attack, taking advantage of Mollema's misfortune.

Also Ligget's short-sighted statement that Mollema was the most unlucky rider of this year's TdS. Of course that was Soler of whom I'm hoping for a complete recovery.

benpounder said:
In the (ToCal) pre-race press conference, Levi as much as admitted that Chris Horner was in better form. My speculation was, and still is, with Lance out of the picture, Levi was targeting the TdF. Now, without question, he can not match the explosiveness of Contador nor Schlecklet, but he has always been a diesel engine in the mountains, and a very good time trialer. This year's parcourse suits him well (expecially with the TTT on stage two and the ITT on stage twenty.) And, there is only one steep ramp that suits the mountian goats - Plateau de Beille - that Levi has always had difficulties with.

However, he showed on stage 7 of the ToC, and stage 6 of the TdS that he can hang with the best climbers if, and that is the wildcard if, they dont go all Rasmussen v. Contador (stage 17 2007 TdF i think) on him. Also note that that very year, Levi earned his second GT Podium finishing third, only 7 seconds behind Cadel Evans, and 31 seconds behind winner Alberto Contador, his team-mate. And the next year, when his team was excluded from the Tour, he had his third GT podium, a second in the Vuelta. (and he beat his team mate and eventual winner Contador in the closing ITT) .

I'd say Levi is on form for the Tour de France.

[my edit] I'll add a bit more speculation. I think Chris Horner rides through my home town in late August as the fully supported leader of Team Radio Shack.

I don't think that using any stage of the ToC as a barometer for one's Tour gc aspirations is a winning proposition. You can likely count on 2 fingers the number of grand tour gc contenders that arrive at ToC in anything in the general zip code of top form.

hfer07 said:
pleeeasseee.... Leech-haimer has won the ToS by "accident" and now he's turned into a Tour contender......

note: Ironically, he's performing way better now that LA is gone...hmmm estrange-isn't it?;)

No hes not way better. He has always been a top rider.

Polish said:
Levi has SEVEN GrandTour Top10 Finishes.

Alberto has "six", mostly gifts.
Cadel has six with authority.
Anyone starting with more than Levi?

However, I will be focusing on the TEAM GC this year, not the Top10.
Levi/Chris/Kloeden/Jani/andOthers
Promising to be a great race.
Vive le Tour!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3EHJjHP6yc

Basso has 7. Wins because hes younger.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Basso has 7. Wins because hes younger.

And arguably more handsome.

61397175-threetime-defending.jpg

vs.

less ugly cyclist.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Last night's broadcast was unbearable due to the Andy lovefest that was going on between Sherwen and Roll. It was so transparently biased. I actually stopped watching after 15 minutes. They must've mentioned "Andy" 40 times in that span.

It will be interesting to hear this evening's spin given the circumstances described above.

They will be absolutely breathless over Levi's victory.

I perfectly understand the hyping of American riders for the American audience (they gave some good attention to CVV and Tommy D. as well last night) but the fawning over Schleck was just too much.

they treat Schleck as if he is the Great White Hope of the sport

Levi can win, but only if something happens to AC and Schleck the Younger, and probably a few other people as well.

Levi does not have to worry about Horner, because if Horner gets ahead of him he just whips out some Horner Kryptonite-- burgers and Cokes. The Lance and Levi video will show them with a bag of In-N-Out and they'll be saying, 'Hey Chris, want a Double Double?'

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
An interesting interview in which Levi addresses his riding style. He acknowledges that it bores all you armchair cyclists, but he says what anyone who gives an honest assessment would say. Namely that he is not good enough in the high mountains to keep up with Contador (and others that have that explosive acceleration), but by limiting his losses, he has an opportunity to make up time in the ITT's.

Andrew Hood makes the interesting point that: "Perhaps more than anyone beyond Schleck, Leipheimer has been the rider who’s come closest to derailing Contador over the past few seasons. "

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/06/news/leipheimer-defends-racing-style-on-eve-of-tour_180628