• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Sagan win the 2012 TdF points Jersey?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
It started in the Cali thread, but I think it's worthy of it's own.

Depends on so many things, but I think he's in with a shot. Can win on Gilbert type finishes, can place high in bunch sprints, can win reduced bunch sprints, and could have a dig at intermediates.

So what do you guys think?

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
jesus_yes_he_can_sticker-p217371129936740576envb3_400.jpg

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It is difficult when the team needs to chase down breakaways to gain points and destroy the pure sprinters (namely Cavendish), while also supporting Nibali for the GC. It is also a long race and some questions arise to Sagan's ability to recover for such a long fast paced stage race.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
well if GOSS, GREIPLE, KITTLE can steal a few flat stages, things would be interesting:D

Kwibus said:
Ofcourse he can, but it all depends on how many flat stages Cavendish wins and if he can finish top3 often in those pure flat stages.

Right now it's more likely Cavendish wins it. If he's positioned decently he simply wins.

maxmartin said:
well if GOSS, GREIPLE, KITTLE can steal a few flat stages, things would be interesting:D
That isn't out of the question. Cav will have most of his team working for Wiggins instead and EBH will be chancing his arm on the intermediate stages like he did so well last year.

In comparison, Goss and Kittel will have strong, focused sprint trains. They won't beat Cavendish too often but they should steal a few stages.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
It will all depend on how many sprints Cav isnt strong enough for after a hilly parcours/finish and if Sagan has the speed to win/podium the normal flat sprints.

First things first : will he participate?

Then it depends of course if his interests will be compatible with those of Nibali?

Pure on quality : yes he can : can win bunch sprints and can get a lot of points in the medium mountain stages

That would depend on the exact route.

Stages 1, 3 and 12 are the best bets to score points over flat sprinters.

Then I have read rumors about tricky last kms in Metz and Rouen but I would have to check if that's the case.

And a stage to Porrentruy where it also realistic that Sagan can gain points.

Probably won't be enough. Especially with Gilbert and Valverde (possibly) going after the same finishes

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
He's going to dominate the green jersey competition like Zabel did in his years. Maybe not this year, but definitely in the years to come. Too bad they changed the point system, but Sagan is good enough to deal with silly rules changed in favor of a certain type of rider as well.

karlboss said:
It started in the Cali thread, but I think it's worthy of it's own.

Depends on so many things, but I think he's in with a shot. Can win on Gilbert type finishes, can place high in bunch sprints, can win reduced bunch sprints, and could have a dig at intermediates.

So what do you guys think?

As you have already said karlboss,it would mostly depend on his condition and motivation for wanting to win green?But he could definantley win the overall if the course was also slightly in his favour.(More medium mtn stages.)This years giro could be his coming?

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
He'd need a harder sprint parcours, like in 2011. Looking at how close Gilbert got before running out of steam on the "proper" sprint stages, then Sagan could be up there.

blaxland said:
As you have already said karlboss,it would mostly depend on his condition and motivation for wanting to win green?But he could definantley win the overall if the course was also slightly in his favour.(More medium mtn stages.)This years giro could be his coming?

I dont understand

Lexman said:
First things first : will he participate?

Then it depends of course if his interests will be compatible with those of Nibali?
He will participate in TdF, it's a fact! Nibali wants him in the team. And yes he can win the green jersey this very year. I don't see Cavendish winning the jersey ever again, and Greipel should be the his only hurdle.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't think Cav cares enough about the green jersey to go hell for leather like he used to. He'll be about stage wins, now, I think.

Sagan - of course he can win it. Will he? Probably not. Goss this year, possibly. Sagan is way too good to be busting a nut every July for the green jersey though. Would prefer it if he tried to peak in Spring and Autumn and forget July. He has all the attributes to be one of the best classics racers ever.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
With the old system easily. With the new one it's almost impossible to beat the top pure sprinters. The system simply favors guys like Cavendish way too much.

Cav was actually the only pure sprinter to finish in the top 6 last year. It only favours a pure sprinter if they are able to win almost all of the flat stages. I'd hardly say it was unfair that Cav was able to beat Rojas, who basically did naff all on the whole tour.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
Cav was actually the only pure sprinter to finish in the top 6 last year. It only favours a pure sprinter if they are able to win almost all of the flat stages. I'd hardly say it was unfair that Cav was able to beat Rojas, who basically did naff all on the whole tour.

Rojas was consistant, which is what the green jersey is about. He was also much more versatile than Cav, which is why he was up there - didn't see Cav finishing 4th on Mont des Alouettes, or 11th on Mûr-de-Bretagne...

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Caruut said:
Don't think Cav cares enough about the green jersey to go hell for leather like he used to. He'll be about stage wins, now, I think.

Sagan - of course he can win it. Will he? Probably not. Goss this year, possibly. Sagan is way too good to be busting a nut every July for the green jersey though. Would prefer it if he tried to peak in Spring and Autumn and forget July. He has all the attributes to be one of the best classics racers ever.

You can win the classics and the green jersey.... It's perfectly possible to peak in April and July.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:

Says more about the sprinter competition than anything else. Also, the route that year had a lot of stages for the puncheurs.

I think he'll win it easily if he gets to freedom to go for it and is motivated to do so. He is underrated in the flat sprints I think. IMO only Cav, Greipel and Kittel are definitely faster and I'm not even sure about the last two. So he could get several top 3 in the flat sprints plus picking loads of points in harder stages. He's like Hushovd except better in everything so if Thor could win it he can as well even though the new points system is less favourable for him.

He will also be allowed to go in breaks on harder stages as Sky can't afford to defend the green jersey there, they'll need to consentrate on Wiggins.