• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can we just admit the Giro/TDF double is no longer possible?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it's possible anymore for anyone to win both the Giro and TDF. There simply is not enough recovery time between the two. And the Giro tries every year to be harder and harder.

I think AC was correct to do the Giro since there was a good chance he could have been suspended before the TDF.

But, I doubt we'll see him do the Giro again before his next TDF.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I think its pritty hard but lets not forget how good contador was looking till today, without the 1 50 from a poor ttt and crash he wudnt be far off. Anyone attempting needs a hell of a lot of luck and to be very superior though

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Apollonius said:
It's hard but a great great rider could still do it. We just don't have any competing right now.

whom do you consider a ''great great'' rider.......and please leave eddie m. out of it , we all agree he is the greatest

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
lagartija said:
whom do you consider a ''great great'' rider.......and please leave eddie m. out of it , we all agree he is the greatest

Well apart from EM......Bernard Hinault and Jaques Antiquetil. I think Indurain would be up there too. There's nobody of that calibre competing right now.

PS. You were dying for me to say LA weren't you?;)

richwagmn said:
I don't think it's possible anymore for anyone to win both the Giro and TDF. There simply is not enough recovery time between the two. And the Giro tries every year to be harder and harder.

I think AC was correct to do the Giro since there was a good chance he could have been suspended before the TDF.

I think this proved it can be done if the circumstances are right. I think The Giro will scale back a little bit in terms of toughness. This year was just insane. Assuming Contador loses another minute tomorrow but get it back tomorrow on most of the climbers he is going to be what, 4-5 minutes out.

I think one of the biggest factors is not that COntador rode the Giro as much as 4 of his 8 teammates rode it. How much have we seen his team this Tour. have 3 fresh guys out of those 4 here, he may have some teammates today that could have helped with the chase, and keep him close to the others with his bad day today.

Is it hard, certainly, but its suppose to be hard. If you are able to achieve it then thats puts you in the pantheon of greatness, which is the purpose of accomplishing it.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Apollonius said:
Well apart from EM......Bernard Hinault and Jaques Antiquetil. I think Indurain would be up there too. There's nobody of that calibre competing right now.

PS. You were dying for me to say LA weren't you?;)

no , not at all , i just feel that if say schleck had the palmares of say contador you might say he is allready one of the greats , 6 grand tours , not to mention something like 10 shorter stage races , stages , nat titles all by the age of 28. nobody is doing anything close to that at the moment. i really like eddie boasenhagen he is 24..... say in the next 4 years he matches contadors palmares will he be a great great rider , you will probably be saying he is exactly that if he reaches half the wins

i would say that there is a 5% chance to do it for contador and no chance for any1 else.

to do it contador lacked:
luck (stage one crash and the crashes that affected his knee)
a extremely strong team that could have gained him time on the TTT and controlled the race on stages like today and that had a real super strong domestique à la niballi giro 2010 that could pace him in case he cracked like today

if he had those conditions he could still be in contention . . . notice that mention being in contention not win

but thats a bunch of ifs

jens_attacks said:
not possible anymore.it could be if there will be no riders peaking just for le tour,a whole year dedicated to this event.
if alberto couldn't,no one will can.
lance armstrong changed everything in '99

Agree with this. There are none talent in the world who can compete against the "super-peaks". Sad thought and damage for the sport.

I think is still attainable-& honestly looks like Alberto is the only one up to the task- what needs to be considered in the future is the depth of the team, how key domestiques are sent to each GT & how the parcours is laid out. I think by the end of this tour, Alberto & Riis might have a clear idea what is required to do it. I honestly will encourage him to try once more-worst case scenario? he'll win one out of the two:)

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I think Contador has showed that it is possible to do the double under ideal circumstances. Until this evening he was still a contender even with bad luck and weak(ish) team.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
It was a tough Giro and this has been a pretty tough Tour. Would be different if this Tour was a relatively easy one like 2009. I think it's definitely possible but like others have said you need some luck to go with a little more favorable routes.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the ideal circumstances notion.

I also think that if Contador rode a more defensive Giro - rather than winning by 6+ minutes, winning the points competition, and coming 2nd in the Mountains competition, he'd have had a lot more in the tank for the Tour.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
richwagmn said:

Nice try. The real reason Clenbuterol Boy® got dropped today is because the added attention from his pending CAS case and fear of his hotel room being raided by Gendarmes forced him to forego the rest-day oil changes that he obviously received in last year's Tour. Surely you don't think Voeckler and some guy from Estonia named Rein Taaramae just dropped the best climber in the world?

And not sure how Andy Schleck can drop the entire world when only 45 days ago he was dropped by the 40 year old Rogaine™ twins in the Tour of California.

These guys are still playing games and they're gonna get popped.

Like some said, I think Contador could do it.

The Giro needs to be a bit easier, and he cant have his opponents be given a 2 minute head start on the first weekend. It also would help if he didnt crash.

Contador is a cycling legend, not one of these "Tour only" riders, so he might go for the Giro again in 2014 or 15 or some such, if hes still as great as he is now. If the route is a bit easier and he gets a better team and no injuries, the Tour that year is entirely possible to.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Like some said, I think Contador could do it.

The Giro needs to be a bit easier, and he cant have his opponents be given a 2 minute head start on the first weekend. It also would help if he didnt crash.

Contador is a cycling legend, not one of these "Tour only" riders, so he might go for the Giro again in 2014 or 15 or some such, if hes still as great as he is now. If the route is a bit easier and he gets a better team and no injuries, the Tour that year is entirely possible to.

Giro 2004 would have done the trick.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
No_Balls said:
Agree with this. There are none talent in the world who can compete against the "super-peaks". Sad thought and damage for the sport.

Quite Sad. They have to examine the way the season is mapped out or reduce the mileage per grand tour. The prospect of a grand slam is a money maker and you have to plan for that possibility. Grand slam possibility will deepen the field per grand tour and increases revenue, it's a business no-brainer. Not sure why the UCI and tour directors cannot get together and review this.

TDF seems to pride itelf that its the "only" tour...please...can that pride, its about business. if you are making 50million Euros today and you slim the mileage (together with other tours) to open grand slam prospect, you stand to make 70-80million why would you not go for it? TV will pay more. Everyone loves a grand slam, ratings will go over the roof.

TRENDING THREADS