• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can we just admit the Giro/TDF double is no longer possible?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
With a bit of luck, Contador could have done it this year. No losing time due to poor TTT, crashes, injuries...
With an easier parcours at the Giro, he could do it yet, in the future.
Anyone else, not a chance.

It is possible given the following requirements:

- Contador

- Fairly easy Giro route, in terms of total climbing, number of MTFs

- No involvement in heavy crashes

Doubt anyone else would be able to do it. Despite his bonk today, he remains
the greatest 3week stage-racer of this era.

richwagmn said:
I don't think it's possible anymore for anyone to win both the Giro and TDF. There simply is not enough recovery time between the two. And the Giro tries every year to be harder and harder.

I think AC was correct to do the Giro since there was a good chance he could have been suspended before the TDF.

But, I doubt we'll see him do the Giro again before his next TDF.

Back in t'day the giro used to be later than it is now by a couple of weeks (pre '95?) or so and yet we saw a few doubles. Yet now it seems less possible - e.g Most would probably have Contador as a more accomplished racer than Roche.

Is the problem peaking, then recovering then rebuilding is harder to pull off than peaking and holding for a shorter timescale.

Or are the races more competitive now? I know the giro had a reputation (and still does to a degree) for being a notch down in intensity to the tour at the start of stages. Is this less the case now?

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
If everyone is saying it takes an easier Giro route to do the double, I don't want ANYONE doing the double. Harder Giro's Please!

I'd also agree that with better luck Alberto probably could have pulled it off this year, but even without the crashes it would have been a lot to ask.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't a cycling fan in '98, but was part of the reason the double was done, was due to the fact that about 90 riders finished the Tour due to the whole Festina affair. I mean you had Christophe Rinero winning the KoM's and finishing 4th, Bobby J came 3rd.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
I wasn't a cycling fan in '98, but was part of the reason the double was done, was due to the fact that about 90 riders finished the Tour due to the whole Festina affair. I mean you had Christophe Rinero winning the KoM's and finishing 4th, Bobby J came 3rd.

No. Ullrich was the man to beat and Pantani did it.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Magnus said:
No. Ullrich was the man to beat and Pantani did it.

Not doubting that Jan was the man to beat, but when 7 teams leave the race and some of those teams had guys who would've finished top 10 and attacked, it does alter the dynamic of the race, wouldn't you agree?

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I think Alberto is able to do it one day, this year there are too many circumstances that prevented it (toughness of Giro route, weak Saxo team, injury and bad handling of the first week, etc.)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Perfectly feasible by Alberto. Imagene a less demanding Giro, no crashes and no wounded knee, a better team not losing time in the TTT to Saxo and there you are!! Giro & Tour.

Hope he grabs them both next season.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
jobiwan said:
If everyone is saying it takes an easier Giro route to do the double, I don't want ANYONE doing the double. Harder Giro's Please!

I'd also agree that with better luck Alberto probably could have pulled it off this year, but even without the crashes it would have been a lot to ask.

i like having a challenging giro. it is hard to imagine the parcours could be more difficult than this year or other recent versions.

i would like to see more tt kms in all of the grand tours. this recent trend toward climber bias is a bit tiresome. and keeps incomplete riders like andy schleck in contention.

so i would also add that a proper balance of tt kms would be really helpful for contador trying to complete the double. why is there only one itt in this year's tour. wtf?

I think Contador could do it. Many have allready mentioned the amount of troubles he had this tour (losing time, knee issues, itt, etc.) and the heavy giro. And off course the potential doping sentence.

What imo is another very important reason what i missed a bit in this thread is this: Without the potential suspension contador wouldn;t have done the giro. Now he was "forced to" and without any certainty if he was allowed to race the TDF he probably planned his physical peak at the giro. A peak that most likely ensured that he couldn't be at his best during the TDF.

If the plan is to do the double all along and the plan was clear in december, then he will plan his training differently. First of all is the competition stiffer in the TDF, and 2ndly he likely would be smarter to be less aggresive in the giro and save energy as well.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
spanky wanderlust said:
i like having a challenging giro. it is hard to imagine the parcours could be more difficult than this year or other recent versions.

i would like to see more tt kms in all of the grand tours. this recent trend toward climber bias is a bit tiresome. and keeps incomplete riders like andy schleck in contention.

so i would also add that a proper balance of tt kms would be really helpful for contador trying to complete the double. why is there only one itt in this year's tour. wtf?

Yes they need to have more TT's in them, but I very much doubt ASO will do that 'cos their poster boy wont win.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Alberto can do it if the following is provided:

1) Strong team supporting him for both races. This year TDF's Saxo is way too weak.

2) CAS needs to resolve his case, either he gets suspended or whatever, but he needs peace of mind to properly train.

3)Lots of luck, of course, to steer clear from crashes.

4) Enough time between two races so that he can peak twice.

Miguel did it, Alberto can do it too :D

May 13, 2009
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
Not doubting that Jan was the man to beat, but when 7 teams leave the race and some of those teams had guys who would've finished top 10 and attacked, it does alter the dynamic of the race, wouldn't you agree?

Nope, no one agrees with that :p

I have to admit Zulle and Virenque's "departure" was very disappointing. I really wanted to see a super stacked Festina racing against Pantani and Ulrich

BYOP88 said:

Roland Meier(!), Bobby Julich, Rinero and Michael Boogert was within the first five at Plateau de Beille. Even Christophe Moreau had a shot. If it wasnt for Pantani this would have been the snoozefest of the century. It was all settled for Pantani even before the race begun. Ullrich came off -97 with a 10 kilos overweight and was still 4 over his prime during the first week (probably even at the first mountain stage).

Indurain666 said:
I have to admit Zulle and Virenque's "departure" was very disappointing. I really wanted to see a super stacked Festina racing against Pantani and Ulrich

You did. In 1996/97 if you watched that is. Ever wondered how a very mediocre guy like Dufaux came in the picture to begin with?

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
spanky wanderlust said:

+1

I keep hearing that a complete rider winning the Tour from the boys on Versus. Yet the lack of ITT miles in this Tour shows that is the formula a Schleck might need to win. If the race starts with a ITT prologue or has two ITT's, both are in deficit from the start.

I hope TDF 2012 has 2 ITT's in it!

I think AC will give the Giro/Tour again. Just to prove he can do it!

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
jilbiker said:
Quite Sad. They have to examine the way the season is mapped out or reduce the mileage per grand tour. The prospect of a grand slam is a money maker and you have to plan for that possibility. Grand slam possibility will deepen the field per grand tour and increases revenue, it's a business no-brainer. Not sure why the UCI and tour directors cannot get together and review this.

TDF seems to pride itelf that its the "only" tour...please...can that pride, its about business. if you are making 50million Euros today and you slim the mileage (together with other tours) to open grand slam prospect, you stand to make 70-80million why would you not go for it? TV will pay more. Everyone loves a grand slam, ratings will go over the roof.

Doesn't ASO have some (controlling) interest in the Vuelta now?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
BYOP88 said:

pfft...you can put an asterisk in your copy of the record book if you want

Epicycle said:
It was a tough Giro and this has been a pretty tough Tour. Would be different if this Tour was a relatively easy one like 2009. I think it's definitely possible but like others have said you need some luck to go with a little more favorable routes.

Agree. Contador is the only one who can do it though.

TRENDING THREADS