Can Wiggo win the Giro-Tour double next year?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

So, can he do it?

  • Yes. And after the Vuelta win, he will bring the peace in Middle East

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
  • Poll closed .
Nov 9, 2010
295
0
0
Alphabet said:
Contador couldn't do it. Wiggins has no chance.
Its a matter of preparation. Contadors fault was he tried to be in top shape in both races. Hence he was fatigued and wasnt at his Giro form when the Tour kicked off.

Anyone going for the double should try to win the Giro by a small margin, in order to save energy for the Tour. And not crush your closest opponents chances like Contador did in 2011.
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
Even though I doubt that he will win both, but at least from his statement looks like he is setting up a big goal. The only thing that will bug me the most, if he won the giro and do the tour but ended up some where in the middle in the pack, he'll be start saying.."oh, I've won the giro, so i have accomplished my goal this season...Now I'm just enjoying the tour..bla.. bla.. bla". Well if you make that statement.. better backing it up. And if you fail, admit you fail. I hope nibali will have some stronger back up to make sky earn it if they want to win it. But hey who knows.. contador might decide to ride giro-tour double.. or not. Seems like he wants to be 100% at the tour so he can test froome's capability.
 
Jelantik said:
Even though I doubt that he will win both, but at least from his statement looks like he is setting up a big goal. The only thing that will bug me the most, if he won the giro and do the tour but ended up some where in the middle in the pack, he'll be start saying.."oh, I've won the giro, so i have accomplished my goal this season...Now I'm just enjoying the tour..bla.. bla.. bla". Well if you make that statement.. better backing it up. And if you fail, admit you fail. I hope nibali will have some stronger back up to make sky earn it if they want to win it. But hey who knows.. contador might decide to ride giro-tour double.. or not. Seems like he wants to be 100% at the tour so he can test froome's capability.
Tiralongo, Vannotti, Agnoli, Kess and Brajko are more or less confirmed so he will have a very good team. And he won't have to share it with Sagan,
 

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
934
0
0
Agree on Giro, too tough. Agree on Tour, too many equal contenders including his team mate.

What about the Vuelta?
 
I was chatting with a mate this lunch time and he said that nobody can do a double GT in a season any more. Well, nobody "normal"

I think the Giro - Vuelta is do-able as there is sufficent recovery time inbetween no problems. I think the Giro - Tour is do-able, but only if one is TT heavy like this years Tour.

I just cant see Wiggo doing them both this year with an eye to winning both. I think his ego thinks he can do both, but IMO, next season he wont win any GT and tbh, I dont see Sky hitting the podium on any GT for reasons thats kept to the clinic, unless the Dawg breaks.
 

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
864
0
0
I remember during entire last season people wondering: "Did he peak too early?", and at the end it turned out everything was perfectly timed and planned.
What I want to say is - I believe they (Sky) know how to engineer season and hit needed levels at the right moment.
My concern regarding double is Wiggo. I'm not sure he has the double in his legs. Especially against expected Tour field.
 

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
934
0
0
My guess is that Wiggins's stars were aligned in 2012. Weaker competition in the Tour and a parcours that played to his strengths and didn't reveal his weaknesses.

Gut feeling, he won't ever win another GT.
 

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
864
0
0
I think he can win another GT. Maybe 2.
Giro 2013 is very good opportunity, IMO. Wiggo-friendly Vuelta (obviously not in 2013) could be that second GT. And that's it. No more Tours, I think.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,820
1
0
Joachim said:
Agree on Giro, too tough. Agree on Tour, too many equal contenders including his team mate.

What about the Vuelta?
Too many uphill sprint finishes, plus it will probably have lots of MTF's.

Joachim said:
My guess is that Wiggins's stars were aligned in 2012. Weaker competition in the Tour and a parcours that played to his strengths and didn't reveal his weaknesses.

Gut feeling, he won't ever win another GT.
Yep, pretty much everything went exactly right and according to plan for Wiggo in 2012. I'm not convinced we will see a 2012 Wiggins again.
 
serfla said:
I think he can win another GT. Maybe 2.
Giro 2013 is very good opportunity, IMO. Wiggo-friendly Vuelta (obviously not in 2013) could be that second GT. And that's it. No more Tours, I think.
So, you basically think he has a chance of a GT as long as he avoids Alberto;)
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,820
1
0
The Hitch said:
He almost won it in 2011. If he went for it, he could do it.
Still though, I don't think he will win it. I doubt he would even enter it again unless he crashes out of the Tour.
 

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
864
0
0
ferryman said:
So, you basically think he has a chance of a GT as long as he avoids Alberto;)
Or if GT looks like 2012 Tour.
But it's more about competition than the route, yes.
 
He needs everything to line up for him again...rivals compromised/absent, TT heavy course, a team geared to dragging him to victory at the expense of everyone else and (most importantly) a Brad driven, primed, in focus and in peak shape.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY