• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Canadian WT Races: GP de Quebec (9/9) and GP de Montreal (11/9)

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I thought Gilbert had given up after his attack didn't succeed, then he was working for Roelandts, then he still came before Jürgen. Like, what.

Anyway, Rui Costa is class. Not easy to beat someone like Fédrigo (who's a very similar kind of rider, but I thought was faster than Rui).

maltiv said:
Rui Costa is constantly underrated by the peloton, can't believe they just let him go like that. Generally I don't like when a "random" breakaway makes it to the finish but Costa is a worthy winner for sure!

It wasn't so much that he was let go... The peloton had just reassembled after things had fractured on the climb. Those times there's always hesitation when everyone's looking around for someone to set the pace. Those are the moments to attack.

maltiv said:
Rui Costa is constantly underrated by the peloton, can't believe they just let him go like that. Generally I don't like when a "random" breakaway makes it to the finish but Costa is a worthy winner for sure!

Well Gesink closed the gap on Costa on the first climb. But in the downhill when the group came together Costa escaped again. And the desorganization behind before Polytechniquee was just too long.
So they couldn't close the gap again when Gesink went on that 2nd climb

Gilbert came awfully close though :eek:

Is it me or does Rui Costa's Spanish have a hint of a Navarrese accent? :p

Anyway, it should be pointed out that the three guys in the front group went all out in the climb already and that's why they were on the front when the descent began and they actually managed to break away.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:

Can you blame the peloton? Rui Costa ain't even the most famous Rui Costa!

hrotha said:
Is it me or does Rui Costa's Spanish have a hint of a Navarrese accent? :p

Anyway, it should be pointed out that the three guys in the front group went all out in the climb already and that's why they were on the front when the descent began and they actually managed to break away.

They were in front of the climb because they escaped half a lap before.
But it worked in their favour this time.

I still think Costa wastes too much energy in premature attacks in classics tho. Paid off today though.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I thought Gilbert had given up after his attack didn't succeed, then he was working for Roelandts, then he still came before Jürgen. Like, what.

Anyway, Rui Costa is class. Not easy to beat someone like Fédrigo (who's a very similar kind of rider, but I thought was faster than Rui).

Gilbert doing a lead out destroys the entire peloton except Jurgen still on his wheel :eek:

Why do I find that funny?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Havetts said:
Yep :p. Going to be hard, think Emillia might be a bit too long for Gilbert, but who knows after this season :p.

I sure hope so too :)

After his Fleche win Gilbert said he wants to win at Emilia as well. Don't think he'll do it this year though as he's season has been very hard. He should take a rest and strike back at the Worlds/Lombardia. He'll probably do Piemonte as prep again.

TRENDING THREADS