• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara Chain

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Well it certainly couldn't have been a Shimano unit, not after this timely statement by the boss,

?SRAM Red is proven reliable, remains the lightest gruppo available, and delivers perfect ergonomics," said Riis about the change. "SRAM has demonstrated impressive product development, great quality and intense focus, just like our team. We are looking forward to racing with SRAM."

He's wrong on more than one count there!!

Pity for Cancellara as he deserves better.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
alexwallace said:
Yeah, everyone riding Campy KNOWS they can expect and deserve this! :)

To be fair(fair? on a cycling forum?) sram recognized the problems with their 10s chain and supposedly addressed it. Most likely, like lots of mechanicals by pros, it is because of the poor wrenching by the 'pro' mechanics.
I wouldn't be surprised if the knucklehead didn't use the provided link and just slammed the chain together by pushing the pin back in. Don't know this but lots of these guys aren't all that good.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
You are right. Not all, but some pro mechanics don't deserve to be there. Those positions are almost always filled by who you know, not based completely on merit.

Although, Cancellara being the Quadzilla that he is, I'm really not surprised that he broke a chain.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Although, Cancellara being the Quadzilla that he is, I'm really not surprised that he broke a chain.

Agreed. I would like to see Cancellara's power figures at the point that the chain snapped. He was putting a massive effort in and moving up through the field when it went.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
You are right. Not all, but some pro mechanics don't deserve to be there. Those positions are almost always filled by who you know, not based completely on merit.

Why would anyone even want to be there. It's about the worst job you can imagine. You work like a pig for 18 hours a day, not just wrenching but doing sh*t work, you get paid poorly, and the only time anyone notices the job you are doing is when there is a failure.

As bender once said: Screws fall out all the time, the worlds' an imperfect place.

So here is a question. Ever since chains started getting so finicky and requiring precise joining, special pins, and one use pins, I have used various types of quick links because they are simple and it makes it easy to take a chain completely off and clean it. Do the pros use quick links and if not, why not?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I've wrenched on more pros bikes than I can probably count and I'd say that about 90% of them don't want quick links and the rest don't really care. None of them have ever specifically wanted a quick link. This isn't really due to any issues they've had with quick links but more to tradition. However, most of these riders either don't care or do intentionally use them on their training bikes.

There are some quick links that are better than others. The Wipperman can easily be installed upside down if you aren't paying attention and that can lead to contact with the lockring when in the 11t. The new Shimano one is having a few issues as well and all the teams are making sure they are pinned instead of linked. The best in my opinion is the Kmc.

It should also be said that it's easier to screw up a chain using a pin than a quick link. You can spread plates pushing in a pin but you can't do that using a quick link.

Mar 14, 2009
www.facebook.com
I'd also like to point out that accidents do happen. It could have just been a case of wrong place, wrong time. If they knew their was an issue with the chains they wouldnt be riding them, just like guys like to use their own wheels and decal them their sponsors. Riis says what he says for the sponsors sake, not because the team loves the stuff, although that might be the case.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Although Riis has always used components because he likes them rather than whatever they give him to use. I understand that he tests them personally. In the past he used Ultegra chains and cassettes in training due his belief of their better durability.

Given Bobby J said Fabian's trainer smelt like it was on fire before the Tour of California prologue, I'm not sure I'd be willing to say the chain has a design fault based solely on his performance on it! Although it'd be fair to test the Red chains out in training before racing on them again just in case.

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
did his chain break at a link pin or did a side plate split?? only reason I ask is I do a lot of motorcycling (trials) and recently broke a chain when the torque of the engine and force of the suspension compression split a side plate as i hit a large rock. That was a first in almost 30 years of biking of both types.

just a thought

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
rmorris17 said:
Does anyone know if Fabian Cancellara was using a SRAM chain at Flanders today?

He was using the sram chain. The team switched to duraace chains before the following week's paris-roubaix. Sram has a ggod group, but it's chain is known to be the week link (ha!). I've heard that it's common to set up a sram group with a duraace chain and cogset.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Sell wow gold

We are a group of dedicated players who have come together to provide services for the community so that you, our fellow players, will be able to enjoy your play time to the fullest. Since our inception, we have experienced a long way to becoming one of the largest group of players in the industry. Our dedicated support team has consistently displayed professionalism while not losing the personal touch when assisting each of our customers with their distinctive needs. In the process, we have cultivated many long-term relationships with our valued customers. For that matter, we are grateful to have customers like you to be here every step of of our growth. wow goldwow goldwow goldhttp://www.thewowgold.net

Mar 12, 2009
www.actvets.cc
I think SRAM is all talk and no action with their chains. We have a new RED group at my LBS and it looks exactly like the old one and they are crap. If you have a look at the photos from last years TDF and Vuelta everyone that was riding SRAM were using Dura Ace chains due to ongoing problems with the SRAM ones. The same goes for the TDU this year. I asked a couple of the wrenches about the fact that they were not using SRAM chains and in addition why most of the bikes had the alloy Force rear derailleurs. In each case they stated that the SRAM chains were to unreliable and broke far to easily and not always at the linking point, but along the chain. The other problem identified was with the carbon Red derailleur. It was felt by a number within the peloton that it was a bit flimsy and was far to easily damaged so they used the full Alloy Force version.

TRENDING THREADS