• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara for sale - 3m Euro

A

Anonymous

Will anybody buy him this year..? Who has a spare 3m euro lyng around.

Also got me thinking the relative value in cycling.
3m would buy you fernando alonso for a few weeks
3m would buy you a pretty average premiership defender
3m would buy 7 or 8 fairly decent rugby players

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Will anybody buy him this year..? Who has a spare 3m euro lyng around.

Add to that Cancellara's actual salary and the price is about 5.5m euros...
Can't see many teams throwing that kind of money out, maybe only Sky, Geox or BMC.

Team Sky is the only team crazy enough to pay such an amount of money I think. And it makes much more sense to use that kind of money on a rider like Cancellara, who is a 100% guarantee for lots of great victories every year and at least 1 TDF stage, than to use it on someone who has performed well once.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Vonn Brinkman said:
I think BMC will want to get Cancellara, and they might actually be willing to pay 3 million for him.

They just stole Phinney from the Shack and gave him a four year contract, that can't have been cheap.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to see Cancellara ride for BMC next year as it would be really fun to see the battles between BMC, Garmin and Quick Step in the Classics next year.

Moondance said:
???

Phinney didn't have a contract for next year and chose to sign with BMC over el Shack.... How is that stealing?

I think he is being metaphorical :rolleyes:

Similie - They got phinney for cheap from radioshack, such a good deal it was like stealing
Metaphor - They gor Phinney for cheap from Radioshack, such a good deal, it was stealing

;)

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Phinney necer had a contract with radioshack so they didn't pay a dime for him. Everybody just excpected him to ride for RS since have been a stagliare there in the last part of the season. I think he made a smart choice. RS is probably going to pull their sponsorship soon, because of their economical situation (and because of lance is retiring)

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Team Lux?

He is put in conact with the new Lux. quite a lot in the danish medias. BMC is not even mentioned. But at the moment there is a lot of speculation about Cancellara. He has said officially (on his homepage) that he is considering to leave Saxo Bank. Phinney still hasn't signed anything he says on twitter. And I find it interesting that Cancellara and Phinney has offers from the same teams (Lux. and BMC) and Phinney seems to be waiting for something. Cancellaras decision?

I'm quite excited to see how this will turn out.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
If Riis raises the price to 23 million, then Manchester City will buy him, just to stop anyone else having him.

Only to loan him in 12 months time.

The Hitch said:
I do want canc to go to bmc. I like the team, + whatever else we can say about acf, he does have a passion for that team which i admire, so im glad he will have someone who can win to cheer for next season.

Just wait until Bauke Mollema joins BMC, TGBM*, and Cadel in the same team :eek:

*TGBM = The Great Baule Mollema

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I do want canc to go to bmc. I like the team, + whatever else we can say about acf, he does have a passion for that team which i admire, so im glad he will have someone who can win to cheer for next season.

it would be a massive signing. But I'm highly doubting it.

personally i think their signings so far have been really good anyway.
Eijssen, moinard, quinziato, tschopp, van avermaet and Santaromita (whom I'm not overly familiar with, I know he had some success earlier this season though) are all really solid signings. They should have a much better team next year.

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/transfers.asp

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
They just stole Phinney from the Shack and gave him a four year contract, that can't have been cheap.
Hater....
Moondance said:
???

Phinney didn't have a contract for next year and chose to sign with BMC over el Shack.... How is that stealing?
Don't bother...
GoGarmin said:
I'd like to see Cancellara ride for BMC next year as it would be really fun to see the battles between BMC, Garmin and Quick Step in the Classics next year.
True, but BMC already have some very strong cobbled classics riders.
craig1985 said:
Only to loan him in 12 months time.

Just wait until Bauke Mollema joins BMC, TGBM*, and Cadel in the same team :eek:

*TGBM = The Great Baule Mollema

Just thinking about that makes me feel all weak in the knees!:eek:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
it would be a massive signing. But I'm highly doubting it.

personally i think their signings so far have been really good anyway.
Eijssen, moinard, quinziato, tschopp, van avermaet and Santaromita (whom I'm not overly familiar with, I know he had some success earlier this season though) are all really solid signings. They should have a much better team next year.

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/transfers.asp

Agreed, I think either George would have to retire or Ballan or Burghardt would have to move teams as they would want to be leaders even though Cancellara is better than them in Roubaix, etc.

Do you know about Eijssen? I have only read that he won a race on the Ax 3 Domaines this year so he must be a climber. Any other info?

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Agreed, I think either George would have to retire or Ballan or Burghardt would have to move teams as they would want to be leaders even though Cancellara is better than them in Roubaix, etc.

Do you know about Eijssen? I have only read that he won a race on the Ax 3 Domaines this year so he must be a climber. Any other info?

21-year old belgian; very promising climber and he also won the tour de l'isard I think..