• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara or Martin to do a Wiggins?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 5, 2009
Visit site
Two years ago, Cance stated it once that he moves his focus to other monuments (LBL/GDL). But in the meantime, things have changed. Probably, had he collected monument wins in 2011 and 2012, it would be more likely.

But why at the age of 32 (talking 2013) trying an experiment with an unsecure outcome and thereby risking to lose what you are currently good and at world's top level? I think he just has too much fun at riding one day classics.

He has shown that he has excellent capabilites to focus on one day races, such as Olympics or classics. A three week race is so distant and different. No doubt, he has the mental and physical capabilites to move his focus, but a crash, puncture or other unlucky things or a jour sans can destroy it in a second. Both is difficult, winning a GT GC and a monument, but for a GT GC win it needs also an incredible amount of luck.

On the other hand, it would be great to see Cance losing weight while keeping his ITT capabilites and becoming a strong GC rider. It is really sometimes difficult to understand how riders like Indurain, Rominger, Zülle, Armstrong, Evans, Froome or Wiggins can be world class in ITT, GC and consequently also climbing, while others can't. At the end, I thought, it's just about power and endurance. But it isn't, obviously...

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
It is because i think everything is possible in cycling.

Cancellara is a much better and complete rider, he has other goals (monuments, classics). But Tony? he is very talented as well, and he only has to lose 10kg, wig go had to lose 20. :rolleyes:

so tony no only can, but also he should win a tour without breaking a sweat.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
la.margna said:
Two years ago, Cance stated it once that he moves his focus to other monuments (LBL/GDL). But in the meantime, things have changed. Probably, had he collected monument wins in 2011 and 2012, it would be more likely.

But why at the age of 32 (talking 2013) trying an experiment with an unsecure outcome and thereby risking to lose what you are currently good and at world's top level? I think he just has too much fun at riding one day classics.

He has shown that he has excellent capabilites to focus on one day races, such as Olympics or classics. A three week race is so distant and different. No doubt, he has the mental and physical capabilites to move his focus, but a crash, puncture or other unlucky things or a jour sans can destroy it in a second. Both is difficult, winning a GT GC and a monument, but for a GT GC win it needs also an incredible amount of luck.

On the other hand, it would be great to see Cance losing weight while keeping his ITT capabilites and becoming a strong rider. It is really sometimes difficult to understand how riders like Indurain, Rominger, Zülle, Armstrong, Evans, Froome or Wiggins can be world class in ITT, GC and consequently also climbing, while others can't. At the end, I thought, it's just about power and endurance. But it isn't, obviously...

Cancellara becoming a strong rider? Cancellara? are you sure? there's no way..

c&cfan said:
Cancellara is a much better and complete rider, he has other goals (monuments, classics). But Tony? he is very talented as well, and he only has to lose 10kg, wig go had to lose 20. :rolleyes:

so tony no only can, but also he should win a tour without breaking a sweat.

Everything is possible is the sport of pro cycling, great tter can become good climber and great climber can become good tter...all you need is dedication and focus.

Don't be late Pedro said:
It wasn't that long ago that Tony Martin was second climbing up Ventoux.

But the situation wasn't that he went the mountain up second fastest. He was in the breakaway and survived ahead of top names (Contador, Armstrong, Schlecks)

Although Garate was beat him for the stage win, it was a good performance by him, he beat one rider from the same break who has since won mountaintop stage. (Riblon)

May 5, 2009
Visit site
c&cfan said:
Cancellara becoming a strong rider? Cancellara? are you sure? there's no way..

clarification for people who seem not able to decode my hasty posts with plenty of omissions and errors (sorry for that):
Obviously, the word "GC" was missing between "strong" and "rider"... - now edited/corrected

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Snilla said:
Maybe it's a stupid question? But Could Cancellara or Martin, do what Wiggins have done and become TDF contenders by losing a lot of weight or are there other factors/reasons as to why they wouldn't be able?

Sure but you have to move to team SKY

if Cancellara or Peter Sagan move to SKY, they definitely can be the new

eddy merckx

May 5, 2009
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Sure but you have to move to team SKY

if Cancellara or Peter Sagan move to SKY, they definitely can be the new

eddy merckx

Let's make sure this thread must not be moved to the clinic. Although such transformations in Wiggo or Jalabert style are obviously highly related to clinic stuff. Same as altitude training, which according to some articles (Ashenden etc.) are only here to obfuscate and camouflage doping...Sorry, didn't want to hijack the thread. Forgive me guys. It's late and I can't get any sleep.

Interestingly, Boonen and Cancellara (afaik) don't do any altitude trash but are nevertheless on word class level... hmm... ok, seems anyway to be rather a thing for GC riders and not classics hunters, though Albasini does it as well, sleeping on the Säntis and training low.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
la.margna said:
Let's make sure this thread must not be moved to the clinic. Although such transformations in Wiggo or Jalabert style are obviously highly related to clinic stuff. Same as altitude training, which according to some articles (Ashenden etc.) are only here to obfuscate and camouflage doping...Sorry, didn't want to hijack the thread. Forgive me guys. It's late and I can't get any sleep.

Interestingly, Boonen and Cancellara (afaik) don't do any altitude trash but are nevertheless on word class level... hmm... ok, seems anyway to be rather a thing for GC riders and not classics hunters, though Albasini does it as well, sleeping on the Säntis and training low.

i would not throw altitude training all out, it is widely used in endurance training in swimming and long distance running, i doubt altitude training is just a camouflage. But for sure it probably won't work for anyone and for Classics there is not high mountain climbing, so probably they don't need altitude training at all. And i will count Albasini as a climber. BTW, it is only 4PM in CA.:D

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Wiggins and Froome managed to gain ****tons of power while losing 11 kilograms so I cant see why Cancellara and Martin couldnt :).

vcampbell said:
If I remember correctly a few month (years?) ago Cancellara said that he don't want to lose weight, to become a GT rider.

He said winning the Tour was a dream of his while winning all the monuments is a goal. He recognizes which is based in reality and which will continue to be just a fantasy.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
He said winning the Tour was a dream of his while winning all the monuments is a goal. He recognizes which is based in reality and which will continue to be just a fantasy.

With SKY, sky is the limit. Cancellara should seriously consider SKY as the next team.;)

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Lol, altitude training is bogus. Might as well take sugar pills and pretend it's epo for the same effect.

Interesting. You might like to tell that to the Etheopian/Kenyan/Tanzanian long distance runners.

or in a practical sense Yak herders of Nepal who double up as Himalayan sherpas.

in anticipation of you saying 'yes but that's not cycling', ok then try the Columbian mountain goats.

All the above living/working/training at or above altitude.

Still think it's the same as your little sugar pills?!

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Btw, here the old article where Cancellara is quoted from a Velo Mag article where he talked about focusing on LBL and GDL for 2011 (article from 2010).

Interestingly, how he swiftly moved away from that thoughts again.

And yes, imagine, he moved to SKY, he would FLY. :D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cancellara-says-contador-signing-prompted-saxo-bank-departure

He told Vélo Magazine that his highlights in 2011 will be Liege-Bastogne-Liege, the Worlds road race, and the Tour of Lombardy.

MonteZoncolan said:
Interesting. You might like to tell that to the Etheopian/Kenyan/Tanzanian long distance runners.

or in a practical sense Yak herders of Nepal who double up as Himalayan sherpas.

in anticipation of you saying 'yes but that's not cycling', ok then try the Columbian mountain goats.

All the above living/working/training at or above altitude.

Still think it's the same as your little sugar pills?!

http://www.forskning.no/artikler/2012/juli/326985

http://jap.physiology.org/content/112/10/1797.full.pdf+html

http://jap.physiology.org/content/112/10/1799.full.pdf+html

http://jap.physiology.org/content/112/1/106.abstract

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
By the whay, iam sure Tony could have battled for top 10 this year if he was healthy. If van Garderen can constest, so could have Tony.

Tejay is doing well, but he tends to slip-off the back when the pressures on over the top of a big climb. OK when you can chase, but tomorrow will be other story on the final. I think he will loose his baby fat and become a better climber in the coming years. Not Tony's year for the Tour which is really unfortunate.

Gold Medal. ITT?

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:

I was gonna say, there is a ton of research on the subject. It has to do with the increase in blood capillary density in the muscles and increase in hemoglobin. However, there is potential to do too much altitude training. In that situation your body will begin to break down muscle mass so that you have an even higher blood capillary to muscle cell ratio.

Also, I though that Fabs had already tried this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I am 99% sure I heard that someone convinced him that he had worn yellow so much that he had potential to go for GC.

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
No, I would definitely not like Fabian or Tony to become aggressive, arrogant *** and look down on everyone else, while at the same time alternating between horrible haircuts and ridiculous sideburns.

...Oh, you mean losing 10kg while improving their power? They're in the wrong team for that aren't they :rolleyes: .

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr Cicchi said Cancellara could win if he lost weight. Or was it Sassi or Ferrari?

And see Tony Martin's first tour with High Road.

Both could do a Wiggins with weight loss. no doubt. Both are naturally more talented chrono riders, and Martin better on the climbs. I think Canc would be a better climber, undoubtedly, if he went to 74 kg.