• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara to the track?

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Interesting, would be quite interesting if he could stir some things up with the trackies.

(How many road riders have sucessfully make a switch to track, i can list some from Track to road, but the other way round?)

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Cancellara would crush and murder Wiggins on the pursuit...

He would probably even lap anyone else :D

I'd laught if i ever saw it. (Oh and I think Phinney is better at pursuiting than Wiggins now!)

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Cancellara would crush and murder Wiggins on the pursuit...

He would probably even lap anyone else :D

Too bad it will most likely not be an olympic event in 2012. I can see Cancellara being successful on the track (maybe), but an Olympic medal in a track event...never going to happen now.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hmm. I dunno. Part of Spartacus' TT mystique is his technical ability. He normally corners much faster than his opponents, and makes time on everyone on the descents. He clearly can read the effort required to distance much better too, as he will win 7km prologues and 40km ITTs. I am also inclined to believe that he is a better reader of the art of the timely gear shift than the others too. All these small advantages are missing in track. As is the feel for a varying road surface.

Don't get me wrong, he has an incredible diesel, and I certainly think that in a short-ish spell he could be in the top ten track pursuiters, but it would require a different kind of approach which may not come immediately. Aside from the hour record, I have no idea why he would want to change to a smaller, ultimately less popular and less publicised branch of the sport, aside from getting the hour record.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
doddy13 said:
Interesting, would be quite interesting if he could stir some things up with the trackies.

(How many road riders have sucessfully make a switch to track, i can list some from Track to road, but the other way round?)
As bluebeard says: Road carries bigger money and more prestige than track, there's not much reason why a good road cyclist would want to try to switch.

doddy13 said:

I think the main reason that trackies switch to road but the opposite doesn't happen as frequently is down to money. You have to ride tarmac to get the big bucks. Cancellara is already a huge star so he can indulge himself a little.

TRENDING THREADS