• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Somebody suggested starting a thread here. Cance has just taken a minute out of Boonen, Pippo, Hushovd, Hammond, Hoste, Flecha and other in about 10 km. I don't believe it for a second. I am just disgusted at this exploit, no way he isn't on an advanced "program" of some sort. I'm almost tempted to stop watching.

Then stop by all means....:rolleyes:

Yeah, this is crazy, but imo not unbelievably crazy based on his style and the way the other riders react (or should I say DIDN'T react). After watching Spartacus riding the c*** out of his opponents on so many occasions, his trick so far today isn't that surprising...

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what to think but the way he rode way from everybody for two weeks in a row was incredible. Especially with the gap he managed to get it and open up from so far out both weeks, I'm shaking my head wondering is it possible clean.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
All the top riders are. Canc just shows that when these guys get it right they are like supermen.

The bio passport is an utter farce.

This sport is an utter farce. I don't know who said it but- Rotten to the Core.
I'm done. Sorry but I just cant take the stench anymore. Good luck with your riding guys.

Who was the first guy to cross the finish line who wasn't charged?

Edit: How could you all possibly watch the race after Ballerini (may he RIP), won by over 4 mins? Conscientious objectors stopped watching a long time ago...

;)

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
3rdWheel said:
I don't know what to think but the way he rode way from everybody for two weeks in a row was incredible. Especially with the gap he managed to get it and open up from so far out both weeks, I'm shaking my head wondering is it possible clean.

yeah that just never happens in this race :rolleyes:.

ed rader

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
skidmark said:
You should quit watching then. It's unlikely to change, and you'll just give yourself fits.

As a fan, I doubt there's any single thing I can do to stop riders from doping. I still like the show, so I keep watching without complains.

In the real world, anyone who things he's damaged by the wrongdoings of someone else can file the corresponding suit in court. If clean riders (assuming they exist) don't do anything, who am I to complain?

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
i think its funny that people want to watch competitive endurance sport at the highest level yet get upset with cheating or doping. i got news for you at the highest level of sport people cheat and take peds thats the way its always been thats the way it will always be. if you cant see that reality dont be a cycling fan go away with your whining. as for cancellara he is the strongest for this race now is he on peds maybe are the others chasing maybe is he still and the others superb athletes regardless yes.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
also if somehow no one was on drugs what would change? they would all be racing roubaix all the same with cancelarra braking away the only difference would be slower speeds. get over it or tun off the tv/computer.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
issoisso has the right idea on this one: the pros themselves don't see it as cheating but as the price of being competitive. The lying to the public bit -I'm pure as the driven snow and just a humble workaholic - is part of the script.

The most underwhelming aspect of today's P-R was that only two riders thought they could win. Boonen is great to watch but he did too much work today and lost the race on pure hubris. When Cancellara attacked, no one tried to chase: they all looked to Boonen who was having a drink and a snack at the back. Hushovd, Flecha, Hincapie, Pozzatto et al were all failures and racing for second place right from the start.

As for Cancellara, well, it was a pretty sneaky move to attack when his only competition was refueling. A real sucker-punch of a move. His win is diminished because of this. He's not as sporting as Boonen who was seen to be congratulating Cancellara during the race when the latter chased down one of his attacks from the front.

In the real politik world of professional sport, Cancellara's tactic is perhaps not so taboo where whatever it takes to win is permitted. He may even garner a few extra fans who like that type of thing. Boonen is bound to receive criticism too for what could only be called overconfidence and inattentiveness (but where the hell was his team?)

For mine, however, a sporting champion isn't complete unless they're a decent guy as well. Cancellara doesn't fare well in this regard. He pontificates on other riders (re Cadel Evans Tour 09) and comes across as priggish. For a guy with legs as good as his, he'd do better to let them speak instead.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Tom T. said:
Somebody suggested starting a thread here. Cance has just taken a minute out of Boonen, Pippo, Hushovd, Hammond, Hoste, Flecha and other in about 10 km. I don't believe it for a second. I am just disgusted at this exploit, no way he isn't on an advanced "program" of some sort. I'm almost tempted to stop watching.

More important than not watching is not posting. If you were disgusted but what you saw you are a fan curling or doll hair combing .Who is "somebody" make sure they stop making suggestions and stop watching also. Go to yoga. Today's race was awesome!!!

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Big GMaC said:
love the luekemans fist pump as Canc rode away :p

why did he do that? He didn't seem happy. Did he expect Cancellara to work with him?

What about Flecha's clap at the end. Was he happy to podium or was it an ironic clap at Hushovd's wheel-sucking?

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I am not really sure about the luekemans one, it just looked like Canc motored away from him... I don't really know how he could have expected Canc to work with him if he could ride him of his wheel like that. The Flecha one, not so sure, but really, what else was Hushovd going to do? He was always going to take him in the sprint...

edit: Agree with you Cyclo about Canc's attitude. Boonen had been jumping on everything that tried to go away from the front, he goes to get food and water and Cancellara attacks...

May 9, 2009
Visit site
marinoni said:
This sport is an utter farce. I don't know who said it but- Rotten to the Core.
I'm done. Sorry but I just cant take the stench anymore. Good luck with your riding guys.

Guess you don't need any proof beyond your own limited belief system, eh? ;)

Hope to see you out on the roads of Vic!
(yes, I live there too!)

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Cancellaras performance today made me just sick. Even though the 8 guys seemed they were just cruisin', they weren't. Nobody from the peloton couldn't catch them. They just didn't have power.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
More important than not watching is not posting. If you were disgusted but what you saw you are a fan curling or doll hair combing .Who is "somebody" make sure they stop making suggestions and stop watching also. Go to yoga. Today's race was awesome!!!

I don't understand a goddam thing you are saying. the fact that you thought today's race was awesome is all I need to understand.