Cancellara's risky bet - focus on LBL, Lombardia...

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
barmaher said:
He is still talking about this.

What do people think of his prospects this year. I think he's gonna win a lot. I just don't know what.
Will never win Lombardia, and it will be very difficult for him to win LBL, certainly not this year.

He will target MSR/Ronde/PR and I'd say with Boonen's disrupted early season, he's the favourite for the cobbles.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,821
0
0
barmaher said:
He is still talking about this.

What do people think of his prospects this year. I think he's gonna win a lot. I just don't know what.
He's still talking about winning LBL and Lombardia? Where? :confused: I havn't seen anything.

This season he's not going to be focused on LBL or Lombardia at all I don't think, his focus is completely on the spring classics. More so on the classics than the TT's as well.
 
Jan 24, 2013
378
0
0
yeah lombardia is definitely impossible since it's too mountainous. For LBL he has to go on an attack from far and time trial to the finish. But that will be a big gamble since he is a very marked rider no matter the race. The field will never give him enough time.
 
This is quite the step. I do think he can do it, more likely LBL than Lombardia, but we'll see. I guess I'm just impressed that he's changing focus and perhaps sees something in himself we don't see.

My biggest bummer is that I don't want Tom to win Ronde or Roubaix again, and Canc was a big threat there.
 
Oct 27, 2012
36
0
0
Anyone fancy his chances in the Tour of Qatar? Needs to be windy, but I think he's in with a chance of a podium at least.
 
Jan 24, 2013
378
0
0
UncleTupelo said:
Anyone fancy his chances in the Tour of Qatar? Needs to be windy, but I think he's in with a chance of a podium at least.
I think his chances are good. There's a team time trial and he has a pretty strong team for it. I recon they can put good time into the other teams.
 
Jun 18, 2012
181
0
0
I didn't think he was still talking about winning the other monuments, at least not for this year.

Anyway, I think he would have a real shot at La Doyenne. He'd have to skip (or at least not put any real focus on) the cobbles, though. I'd love to see him try it. It's great to see riders test themselves in different types of races instead of just sticking where they have early success.

I agree with everyone who says Il Lombardia is too mountainous. I can't see him sticking with the climbers, even if he loses some of that muscle and lightens up.
 
Jan 24, 2013
378
0
0
I agree, I would love to see him give a shot at LBL. Perhaps radioshack can send a team with guys like Andy, Kiserlovski and Monfort and whilst other teams get caught up marking these three, cancellara can go on an attack and time trial to the finish. I dont think this will compromise his preparation for the cobbled classics.
 
Afrank said:
He's still talking about winning LBL and Lombardia? Where? :confused: I havn't seen anything.

This season he's not going to be focused on LBL or Lombardia at all I don't think, his focus is completely on the spring classics. More so on the classics than the TT's as well.
In an article in Cycle Sport this month. But there is no quote. And infact it is the author who says this could be the year for it. So sorry. I may have resurrected a thread for nought
 
barmaher said:
In an article in Cycle Sport this month. But there is no quote. And infact it is the author who says this could be the year for it. So sorry. I may have resurrected a thread for nought
Think he will be very focused on core races this year. Out of contract, needs points etc. Can't be experimenting this year.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,821
0
0
gruppeto993 said:
I agree, I would love to see him give a shot at LBL. Perhaps radioshack can send a team with guys like Andy, Kiserlovski and Monfort and whilst other teams get caught up marking these three, cancellara can go on an attack and time trial to the finish. I dont think this will compromise his preparation for the cobbled classics.
No ones going to let Cancellara get away though, if he attacks, someones going to jump on his wheel. Plus Kiserlovski and Monfort (and Schleck too if he can't get in shape by then) aren't the types of guys that the other teams are going to need to monitor every move of, since their not really big favorites to take the win.

If he is feeling good after the cobbled races than he might as well compete just for the hell of it. But it would be a mistake to put a big focus on it, and train specifically for it IMHO.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Professional Road Racing 26

ASK THE COMMUNITY