• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cant get to Amstel from Spain

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Pack of whimps where is the team buses and what it wrong with the bike.
When I was doing National service in Gibralter I rode to the the Dover ferry several times.
Just them little climbers just looking for an excuse not to head north for some tough racing..

epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1216497697.jpg

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Pack of whimps where is the team buses and what it wrong with the bike.
When I was doing National service in Gibralter I rode to the the Dover ferry several times.
Just them little climbers just looking for an excuse not to head north for some tough racing..

Agreed. Bunch of sooks. Buses and trains still work so they can use them. The riders simply do not want to. People and their excuses right? They never cease to amaze me.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Agreed. Bunch of sooks. Buses and trains still work so they can use them. The riders simply do not want to. People and their excuses right? They never cease to amaze me.

Exactly. It's lazyness and nothing else. I'm especially surprised at Valverde, since he's been making a relatively big deal of winning the Amstel as it's "the only one of the three I haven't won"

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Exactly. It's lazyness and nothing else. I'm especially surprised at Valverde, since he's been making a relatively big deal of winning the Amstel as it's "the only one of the three I haven't won"

Considering I keep hearing he'll be banend any day now (I'm sceptical on that) I thought savouring the moment would be his priority. Laziness is all it is. How is the weather in Spain right now? A week off in the middle of Spring in Spain sounds good. Margheritas and Tapas anyone? Siesta the night away.

I think Sastre is preparing for the Giro so some ash in the air is a nice excuse. Wigans I couldn't care less about. But Samu and Valverde are chances. Oh well, just makes Gilbert's chances of getting a win on the board in 2010 for OPL better than a week ago.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It's much simpler than that. Most of these guys only know how to ride a bike. They rely on other people for everything else. The moment these other people cannot solve their problems (air traffic restrictions + French train service overloaded and on strike) they're unable to find solutions for themselves. I'm sure none of them has any idea of how much time it takes driving from where they are to the Netherlands.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Footon-Servetto press release from Saturday. 22 year old Valls got there by car in thirteen hours.

The closure of European airspace as a result of the ash cloud caused by the eruption of a volcano in Iceland will greatly determine the dispute morning of the Amstel Gold Race on land in the Netherlands. The team FOOTON-SERVETTO-FUJI, which featured a lineup with riders from five different countries, is affected more by this and has had to make an authentic work gear to get all of them arrive in time to Holland to contest the race. The only one who by now is in the region of Limburg is Danish Martin Pedersen, who yesterday in a car covered the 850 kilometers between Copenhagen destination. More difficult has been the Austrian Markus Eibegger, which has gone from Austrian lands at 6.00 am this morning in a train that is scheduled to arrive in the German city of Cologne at 17:00, where he still Eibegger subtract one hour Travel by car to the hotel of concentration.

The six other team riders traveling in the two convoys that left early in the morning from Spain and Italy. At 5.30 pm, the front Joxean Matxin Fernández, Santander came from a vehicle with the Portuguese and the Spanish Manuel Cardoso Rafael Valls and Aitor Pérez Arrieta, who yesterday had to go there from their respective places of residence. Ahead, 1,400 kilometers and thirteen hours of car. From San Bernardino, Mauro Gianetti Matthias Brandl leads to Austrian and Italian Fabio Felline and Eros Capecchi for 850 miles and nine hours in car land separating them from the Netherlands. Although the race tomorrow is one of the longest test of the season, any rider FOOTON-FUJI-SERVETTO exceed this weekend the hours worked on the seats of the train or car with those on the bike.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=25314

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Considering I keep hearing he'll be banend any day now (I'm sceptical on that) I thought savouring the moment would be his priority. Laziness is all it is. How is the weather in Spain right now? A week off in the middle of Spring in Spain sounds good. Margheritas and Tapas anyone? Siesta the night away.

I think Sastre is preparing for the Giro so some ash in the air is a nice excuse. Wigans I couldn't care less about. But Samu and Valverde are chances. Oh well, just makes Gilbert's chances of getting a win on the board in 2010 for OPL better than a week ago.

Why don't you drive up to the Gold Coast or Brisbane on Saturday and race on Sunday if it is easy enough?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:

Wouldn't it be the teams fault for not having back up plans? They organise the riders travel arrangements, that is why they employee people do that.

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
travel does make you tired

craig1985 said:
Wouldn't it be the teams fault for not having back up plans? They organise the riders travel arrangements, that is why they employee people do that.

Missed chance at a classic for some (Valv-piti)... but then perhaps the comp between contenders is so tight that travel fatigue would erase any chance

A

Anonymous

theswordsman said:
Footon-Servetto press release from Saturday. 22 year old Valls got there by car in thirteen hours.

Yea, but Wigans has a better hairdo...I am sure that he had to factor in mirror time to get it all looking just right. Can't show up looking frumpy.

A

Anonymous

craig1985 said:

You are telling me that a team with the resources of Sky do not have a department for travel logistics that can think on the fly? Murdoch needs to clean some house then.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
You know, I'm starting to get the impression that TFF doesn't like Bradley Wiggins, but then again I might be reading too much in to his posts.

A

Anonymous

Jamsque said:
You know, I'm starting to get the impression that TFF doesn't like Bradley Wiggins, but then again I might be reading too much in to his posts.

Love the guy! He is the model for how riders should conduct themselves in terms of team negotiation and media relations. I also find him quite fetching.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Yea, but Wigans has a better hairdo...I am sure that he had to factor in mirror time to get it all looking just right. Can't show up looking frumpy.

Craig Lewis lives in Girona and failed to show up at Amstel, why aren't you giving him crap for it? I suppose Vicente Reynes probably had a legit excuse, what with him being on Mallorca.

Thoughtforfood said:
You are telling me that a team with the resources of Sky do not have a department for travel logistics that can think on the fly? Murdoch needs to clean some house then.

Hey TBF I don't work for SKY so I would have NFI what would go on in their heads. Sastre said the company that Cervelo use, tried every alternative to get Holland. It's Amstel Gold, stop going on about that if they didn't turn up then the world's going to end.

A

Anonymous

craig1985 said:
Craig Lewis lives in Girona and failed to show up at Amstel, why aren't you giving him crap for it? I suppose Vicente Reynes probably had a legit excuse, what with him being on Mallorca.

Hey TBF I don't work for SKY so I would have NFI what would go on in their heads. Sastre said the company that Cervelo use, tried every alternative to get Holland. It's Amstel Gold, stop going on about that if they didn't turn up then the world's going to end.

Ryder Hesjedal lives in Girona. Don't know if you heard, but he did pretty well yesterday...after driving to the race. Wigans couldn't be bothered to actually drive the distance because of the effects driving has on hairdos.

I am also fairly certain that my point was never that the world was going to end. My point has always been to rile up the Wigans fans over an issue that was easy to needle him over. I don't like him or his team, and I like to find ways to exploit any misstep to make that point. I thought it was pretty transparent, but I guess some of you are a little slow on the uptake.

Thoughtforfood said:
Ryder Hesjedal lives in Girona. Don't know if you heard, but he did pretty well yesterday...after driving to the race. Wigans couldn't be bothered to actually drive the distance because of the effects driving has on hairdos.

He may be more afraid of the volcano god than his harido--if you can call the squirrel roadkill on his head a do. Eyjafjallajokull, which is also known as the Scrabble Volcano, is wreaking a terrible vengeance on the U.K. for complicity of its bankers in the destruction of Iceland's economy. New York voters are currently considering a referendum to throw the Fabulous Fab, the now infamous Goldman Sachs vice president, into the mouth of the volcano in hopes of preventing a similar fate for the U.S.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

I am also fairly certain that my point was never that the world was going to end. My point has always been to rile up the Wigans fans over an issue that was easy to needle him over. I don't like him or his team, and I like to find ways to exploit any misstep to make that point. I thought it was pretty transparent, but I guess some of you are a little slow on the uptake.

I was also winding you up, you didn't even see that you slowpoke. :cool:

TRENDING THREADS